Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lower back pain!

EL GAUCHO

I've been suffering from really bad lower back pain for the last four weeks. I've tried dropping my weights right down: but its still there.
Can't think what's caused it.
Mainly when I'm sitting for too long.
Pain does not shoot down the leg: Doctor just gave me some pain killers.
Any tips of what I can do training wise?
I don't want to take time-out, as I did this 3 weeks ago.

It's pretty hard to do anything with weights that doesn't affect your lower back. Even if you were to just bench press there's still the issue of loading the plates onto the bar. I know because over the years I've spent several periods of two weeks off while I try to straighten up again from my back going out.

With the lower back the problem is the degenerative effect. It doesn't usually go out right after deadlifting or something, it goes out when you bend down to pick up a quarter. I once needed to go on worker's comp for two weeks after putting my back out from twisting to the side while sweeping the floor at work. Should've seen the look on the boss's face when I told him that I threw my back out from sweeping the floor. He was not amused.

As much as it sucks to take the time off you really need to respect your body. I would strongly urge that you don't do any lifting until your back is feeling much better. You can still do some non-impact cardio. Eventually some seated shoulder work, or bench work. When you're feeling closer you can do some leg extensions or curls, and one arm db rows. Avoid squats, deadlifts, standing overhead presses, ab work, and bent over barbell rows.

IF your back hurts when sitting, it is probably a disc bulge that is aggrivated by your posture when sitting. If you do lots of deads and sit too long you can develop tight hip flexors which will rotate your pelvis forward increase the curve in your lower back allowing any bulging disc to be pushed backwards which will press on nerve roots and cause pain. When you stand the curve may be lessened so the pain is reduced. You should have your posture evaluated when sitting & standing and then make corrections from there.

S

Royster said:
do you have leg length discrepancies?

Could that lead to lower back pain ?

Royster said:
yes, especially when sitting down or putting pressure on the lower back (such as weightlifting or skating).

So what should one do when you have 1 shorter leg ?

Soles ?

try stretching every morning..also if you sit at a desk all day if possible try to get up and strecth the back of the body for a few mins..

make sure its a true leg length discrepency and not a tight quadratus lumborum or the doc will be making you waste $ on orthotics when all you need is stretching

S

supreme said:
make sure its a true leg length discrepency and not a tight quadratus lumborum or the doc will be making you waste $ on orthotics when all you need is stretching

S

Yes, differing leg length is an incredibly rare deformity. I can almost guarantee no one on this entire board has it.

Top Bottom