Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lat-Pulldowns or Pullups instead ??

SirDingo

For my BACK workout days, one of the exercises is Lat-Pulldowns on the machine, was wondering if Pullups are better instead ? I also do Barbell BentRows, Deadlifts, and bicep curls that day.

For my BACK workout days, one of the exercises is Lat-Pulldowns on the machine, was wondering if Pullups are better instead ? I also do Barbell BentRows, Deadlifts, and bicep curls that day.

Do both.

Do pull-downs one day, and pull-ups another.

awhile back one guy said his goal was 50 pull ups in the shortest amount of sets possible.. might have been 100.. i dont remember.. anyway i normally do like 3 sets of 10 and dont feel it the next day but if i go til i hit 50 my lats are gonna feel good the next day.. u might be above 50 or below. but if found that with pull ups working to failure on every set does great. or just do both or weighted pull ups

This is a very individual thing and depends on one's strength to weight ratio.

For me, pulldowns are the way to go.

Whenever I add pullups to my routine, it usually doesn't take long before I get an injury in my elbow. This is probably because of my 250lb bodyweight, which effectively means I'm always working in a heavy load range. Sooner or later a weak link gives out due to overtraining.

I don't have the benefit of starting out light and working up as I would in bench press, squats, deadlifts and of course pulldowns. If I had to start my bench workout at 250lbs, I wouldn't last long either.

If I do want to do pullups safely, I do it as the 2nd or 3rd exercise into my back workout when I'm very warmed up. (usually after rows and pulldowns). At that stage I'm only able to do sets of 5 - 8 reps and I'll stick to 3 or 4 sets.

Before I do pull ups I always warm up with the pull down machine on a light weight like 90 for a set and then 165 for a set. Thaen I do pull ups.

If I did pullups cold, I'd get injured for sure.

weighted pull ups........u gotta add that weight

Before I do pull ups I always warm up with the pull down machine on a light weight like 90 for a set and then 165 for a set. Thaen I do pull ups.

If I did pullups cold, I'd get injured for sure.

That's the very reason why I never do pullups before pulldowns, but even then, I don't find the pulldown prepares me well for pullups. I just find them far more joint intensive. What I really like about pulldowns is that you can easily do controlled cheating to work past your strict rep limit.

I wish I had one of those assisted pullups machines for warmups.

I do underhand chins on the pullup bar, But if I where do overhand pullups Id use the pulldown, I cant do enough pullups to feel it all, I can only do like 5... and when I do underhand chins on the pulldown machine I just dont get the same bicep and forearms pump as I do on the pullup bar...

so interesting to hear how it effects everyone so differently.. are the guys who its no fun on the joints in the 210lbs+ club?

I am 225 myself.

Pullups don't "hurt" the joints. I have to do a few lighter sets first, then I am just fine.

Top Bottom