Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Keeping KNEES LOCKED during STIFF LEG DEADLIFTS..

I bend my knees when doing SLDL's, my knees are directly over my toes, back straight and head facing forward.. They stay locked in that position throughout the entire lift.

Arent they called straight leg deads for a reason?

I keep my legs straight to focus on my hams as much as possible. They shouldnt bother your knees unless you go nuts with the weight.

i always go w/knees locked (straight legs)...

you will feel the pull more in your hammys w/legs straight. Bending the knees places more strain in your lower back.

Tweakle said:
thats a retarded looking stiff leg, but you should be able to keep a flat back with locked knees if you use a normal ROM

Find what works for you.but if your going to use any kind of weight DO NOT round your back like that photo..just asking for trouble!!

I keep my legs locked and the heavier i go (pretty much anything over 95 lbs LOL), the more i feel a hyperextension in my knees from keeping them locked. It definitely doesnt feel right but then again I have really bad knees. Others may not experience this. And even tho they bother my knees while Im doing them, I keep doing them every week LOL

You can get a good stretch in your hams without locking your knees by kind of sticking your butt back a bit. (more like a RDL than a SLDL but hits the hams hard and that's the point right?)

I find that I really have to concentrate on using my hams and not my lower back or I end up pulling it more with my back, as was said above.

Look at the mechanics of the excersise.
Why would you do stiff legged deads with locked knees?

WD30 said:
Look at the mechanics of the excersise.
Why would you do stiff legged deads with locked knees?

I think i remember from a Paul Chek seminar that you should unlock your knees to about 15 degrees when doing stiff legged deadlifts. Something to do with the IT Band sliding off the knee? If there are any Chek practitioners out there please confirm or deny this! He also said that performing SLDL with a light weight and a rounded back was not as terrible as it may seem because it was the function of the errector spinae to extend as well as perform isometrically.

he-man said:
i never lock mine. also keep my back straight with my head up as i come down to a 90 or slightly higher and then pull with my hams.

Yep, keeping eyes to the front. A mirror helps with form here.

Top Bottom