Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I Took 20 YEARS....!!!

I've had the walk vs run calorie thing parroted to me by fitness type as well and I just don't buy it. There is no way that anyone could convince me that leisurely walking for a distance burns the same amount of energy as jumping over and over the same distance - which is EXACTLY was running is, but not to the same extreme.

Oops I made a mistake with my last equations,,,

Energy_out=Energy_used

And for my last equation. Remember your

Heat_transfer_body_to_ambient= Heat_transfer_body_to_ambient_due_to_core_temp + Heat_transfer_ambient_to_body

Where your core temp is slightly higher than the temperature of the ambient. Thus some of the calories that you consume are converted to heat energy that slighty rises your temperature of your body so that it has a higher temperature than the ambient.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using EliteFitness

I've had the walk vs run calorie thing parroted to me by fitness type as well and I just don't buy it. There is no way that anyone could convince me that leisurely walking for a distance burns the same amount of energy as jumping over and over the same distance - which is EXACTLY was running is, but not to the same extreme.

climbing up a mountain 1 mile vs. going down a mountain 1 mile.

i don't think any sane individual would think they would burn the same calories.

even if you climbed up a mountain for 1 hour vs. going down a mountain for 1 hour I don't think a sane individual would think even that burns the same calories even if you purposely decided to cover the same amount of area which means you would have to do a lot of stopping on the way down.

not sure why this is even being argued

Last edited:
Drive you car uphill...... Then drive it down hill.

Check the feul consumption.

Same thing ....

Heart rate while actually doing the exercise may not amount to much difference when the same distance is covered (ie walk VS run) but what that doesnt take into account is EPOC, which does account for more calories burned post workout when high intensity is employed.

Heart rate while actually doing the exercise may not amount to much difference when the same distance is covered (ie walk VS run) but what that doesnt take into account is EPOC, which does account for more calories burned post workout when high intensity is employed.

Thank you. Exactly the point i was trying to make in regard to high intensity versus low intensity

Like stated every body is wired differently so unless we are all the same the work done by the body will vary.

In addition the rate of return to go faster or do heavier weight isn't proportional to the slower speed or lower weight. We aren't doing these expirements in a vacuum with no friction.

And to compare car speed with gas. Did you forget friction and wind resistance?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EliteFitness

We can ignore wind resistance and friction in this case.

When you go up hill your car will be at higher revs etc. As where downhill you have the momentum of your vehicle on your side.

So you can achieve a certain speed down the hill at a much better feul consumption that up the hill.

Which means you will be using less energy down the hill than up the hill.

Which means more calories up the hill than down the hill.

And also by the energy law:

Work= difference_kinetic_energy +difference_potential_energy

For uphill we will have

Difference_potential_energy as a positive term because our difference in height will be positive.

For downhill we will have

Difference_potential_energy as a negative term because our difference in height will be negative.

Thus during the downhill process we wil do less work.

Top Bottom