Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I Took 20 YEARS....!!!

I am not disagreeing with you at all. The second part was actually from my physics teacher in high school.

But it is a science fact that.. whether you lift 500 pounds once.. or 100 pounds 5 times.. both are the same amount of work.

W = [ M x A ] x D

W = Work
M = Mass
A = Acceleration
D = Distance

One does exert more Force though

I'm not sure there is any 'right' or 'one size fits all' answer to this question/debate. (I'm not referring to the 1x500 vs 5x100 debate)

My opinion is that 'mx calories' are a moving target. I've personally maintained on 1500-4000 cals during different times in my life.

The body adjusts and adapts so quickly for some that it compounds the issue. For example, there was a period where I got real busy starting a business and started working out less and also eating less and less frequently. Eventually, I was eating 1-2 times a day and I started getting fat(er). I went from 220-240. The funny thing is that it took me years of 4000-6000 cal days to get to 220. My metabolism definitely changed.

I then began eating cleaner, more often, and more calories (with a few more trips to the gym) and my metabolism picked back up and I dropped 20lbs within 4 moths by eating more, better and more often.

But of course my metabolism (mx cals) adjusted again.

So there are a ton of variables here. If someone's mx rate is 2500 and then they drop there intake to 2200, it would appear that there is a 300 cal deficit. Well...Maybe. The body can adjust and then begin maintaining on the new, lower caloric intake.

yeah bro lets say that is true its where science and fitness don't match. you cannot use this kind of analogy with training.

do you think people who run marathons train by walking 26 miles? well according to that theory it would be the same amount of force.

no they run A LOT to train for it

no.. it is the same amount of work, but one requires more force. Force and Work are two different things.. when it comes to physics. And I know that the equation doesn't translate into real life very well.. but science is science.

Incorrect. You burn considerably more when running. The faster you go the more you burn. You sucked at science in high school right. :D

He's actually correct. It takes much longer to walk, therefore more time expending calories . Training for a marathon has nothing to do with the amount of calories you burn.

Another point that is being misconstrued -- not everyone is going to get equal results. But the principle remains. The rest is genetics.

it is what my health teacher told the class in 7th grade.. saying that you expend the same amount of energy. That has stuck with me my entire life and have based my cardio off of it. So are you telling me my entire life is a lie!!!!??

He also said the same principle goes for lifting weights as well.. benching 500 pounds once uses the same amount of energy as benching 100 pounds 5 times.

He was probably referring to required potential or kinetic energy but I promise you this is not the case when talking about how the body burns calories.

Put your egos down for a second. It is similar to fuel in a car. If you drive 10 miles at 100mph you will burn way more fuel than 10 miles at 50mph. Calories burned over a distance change depending on your heart rate and VO2. The higher your intensity, the more oxygen you consume, the more calories you burn. Scientific fact, not an opinion.

Put your egos down for a second. It is similar to fuel in a car. If you drive 10 miles at 100mph you will burn way more fuel than 10 miles at 50mph. Calories burned over a distance change depending on your heart rate and VO2. The higher your intensity, the more oxygen you consume, the more calories you burn. Scientific fact, not an opinion.

Not analogous. A car uses only one fuel source and does not fatigue over time. Then again, if a car traveled 10 miles in stop and go traffic it'll actually use more fuel. Hope your ego can accept that. : )

Lots of bioscience up in here. While bringing things up, it does remain clear that short high intense intervals of exercise like HIIT are superior to longer and lower intense exercise like LISS for fat loss and total caloric burn.

Top Bottom