Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How Young is to young to buy a boy a rifle?

As long as the kid is educated on the dangers of firearms, doesn't have unsupervised access to them (ie only goes hunting with parents or other responsible adult), knows basic safety drill like don't point a gun at someone, ever, even if you think it's not loaded....

...I don't see a problem. At all.

I'm assuming he's not totin' the gun round the neighbourhood right ?:)

curling said:
My sister wanted me to ask this on the internet so I said sure why not. Her husband and his father bought her 7 year son a rifle. At first she thought they just bought it for him for when he got older but now they want to take him to the rifle range and shoot it. What do ya'll think is 7 to young or not? I don't think I had my first rifle until I was 11 or 12 if I remember right plus I wasn't even that safe then.
It's fine as long as he is taught right. Before I ever fired a gun I was thouroughly practiced in all aspects of gun safety, including disarming a firearm. I started shooting when I was 7, got my first gun for my 9th birthday. Just because it was my gun didn't mean I had unfettered access to it.

The results of my early firearm exposure, besides the fact that I handle firearms well, is that they possessed no mystery for me. It was apparent growing up, that many of my peers developed the mindset that guns were made you tough and that they were to be handled as seen on TV and movies - dangerously. Early exposure to the discipline of firearm handling and use will create a person with an apropriate respect for the weapon.

I was 7 when I learned to shoot. If a parent is there on the range to supervise the kid - what's the big deal? Do they think their kid is a genetic imbecile and will push the barrel of the gun up his nose and pull the trigger trying to pick a booger? For God's sake, life is filled with risk and danger - better a kid learns at an early age to handle things responsibly.

SofaGeorge said:
I was 7 when I learned to shoot. If a parent is there on the range to supervise the kid - what's the big deal? Do they think their kid is a genetic imbecile and will push the barrel of the gun up his nose and pull the trigger trying to pick a booger? For God's sake, life is filled with risk and danger - better a kid learns at an early age to handle things responsibly.

HOLY SHIT!!!

when I told everyone to give you karma.. I did not think it would tip the scales like that!!! DAMN!!!!

I just skimmed through this briefly, but I just taught my 7 year old son how to shoot and handle a Daisy Powerline BB gun safely. The next time I go to the gun range, I will allow him to shot a 22 semi-auto rifle. I feel it's important for a young boy to learn gun safety first and how to fire guns/rifles second.

You never now when some sicko will come into your house and try to hurt your family. That thought is always in the back of my head, that's the reason why I want my son to be able to handle a fire-arm.

So to anwser you question Curling, I'd say 7/8 is a good start for a young child!!!

Silent Method said:
Wow! Did everyone learn to shoot at 7? Good age!

Pretty much. I remember being about that age, and having my dad help me hold-up his Winchester 94 (lever action 30-30). One shot from that, and the resulting recoil into my shoulder = instant respect for guns.

Top Bottom