Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How much protein would you consider overkill?

44Blown

Other than when I competed (@230-235lbs), I never used to really "count" my protein, as long as I pounded 3-4 shakes and ate 2-4 meals. I'm 26 now and want to gain quality muscle rather than get as big as possible (I've weighed over 300 but had lovehandles and was a bit bloated)-in a tanktop I looked great but not so great when I revealed my stomach--anyways, should I eat 1.5 or 2 g per lb(protein) or mainly concentrate on lowering my carb intake?

You will never get a consistent answer on that one bro...you have to find what works for you by playing with different loads....

44Blown said:
Other than when I competed (@230-235lbs), I never used to really "count" my protein, as long as I pounded 3-4 shakes and ate 2-4 meals. I'm 26 now and want to gain quality muscle rather than get as big as possible (I've weighed over 300 but had lovehandles and was a bit bloated)-in a tanktop I looked great but not so great when I revealed my stomach--anyways, should I eat 1.5 or 2 g per lb(protein) or mainly concentrate on lowering my carb intake?

You should always aim for protein at 1.5-2g per lb of bodyweight to maintain muscle mass, i.e keep muscles at a positive nitrogen state to prevent muscle breakdown. For weight loss its all about diet plus cardio, you should keep carbs low, i.e take enough carbs for training, dont eat carbs at night to reduce the chances of carbs turning into fat storage. obviously keep fat content low also in your diet but do not exclude essential healthy oils. With this diet and good training would lead to quality muscle. Takes time, dedication, consistency and patience leading to success!.

peace
MV

You know it's amazing how the protein recommendations just keep going up. Don't you find that funny? Think about it the ammounts recommended are getting so ridicousley high it's just about impossible to get it from food. That means that you have to buy supplements, this puts money in guess who's pocket. The higher the reccomendations and more product sold = more profit.

When i started 12 yers ago (shit that long already?) the recommendation for bodybuilders was .8 gram per kilo of weight. Noticed i said Kilo not LB. VERY soon afterwards the popular bodybuiiling magazines pulled a switcharoo and started to officially print .8 Gram per Pound, that's right Pound. I thought i was the only one that caught on. Then it was rounded off to 1 gram per LB. From there came the "Experts" and they said at least 1 gram per Lb. This led to suggesting 1.5 grams per Lb ju to be "safe", then as the consumer got more educated came the studies prooving 2 grams were necessary and so on and so on, i am sure you get the point.

Look at it this way, you can't make your body do anything it does not want to or can't. Forece feed protein and it wil do nothing, Too many people mistake more protein for their increased lifts when simple math shows 100 grams of protein equals to 400 calories more per day. So what caused the gains? Is it the calories or the magic of protein? The truth is propably somewhere in the middle.

So moderate your intake to .8 to 1 gram per per lb and keep it as part of your total daily calorie total. Moderation is key, any more then that and you'll be making the protein manufacturers rich, hell we already are.

GREGORY said:
You know it's amazing how the protein recommendations just keep going up. Don't you find that funny? Think about it the ammounts recommended are getting so ridicousley high it's just about impossible to get it from food. That means that you have to buy supplements, this puts money in guess who's pocket. The higher the reccomendations and more product sold = more profit.

When i started 12 yers ago (shit that long already?) the recommendation for bodybuilders was .8 gram per kilo of weight. Noticed i said Kilo not LB. VERY soon afterwards the popular bodybuiiling magazines pulled a switcharoo and started to officially print .8 Gram per Pound, that's right Pound. I thought i was the only one that caught on. Then it was rounded off to 1 gram per LB. From there came the "Experts" and they said at least 1 gram per Lb. This led to suggesting 1.5 grams per Lb ju to be "safe", then as the consumer got more educated came the studies prooving 2 grams were necessary and so on and so on, i am sure you get the point.

Look at it this way, you can't make your body do anything it does not want to or can't. Forece feed protein and it wil do nothing, Too many people mistake more protein for their increased lifts when simple math shows 100 grams of protein equals to 400 calories more per day. So what caused the gains? Is it the calories or the magic of protein? The truth is propably somewhere in the middle.

So moderate your intake to .8 to 1 gram per per lb and keep it as part of your total daily calorie total. Moderation is key, any more then that and you'll be making the protein manufacturers rich, hell we already are.
lol

Amazing you mention this today, last night I was reading the book "The new encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding" by Arnold Schwarzenegger and on page 725 he says the generally recommended is 1 gram per kilo (2.2lb) but he says most bb's go for 1gm per lb

Yeah im with you the numbers just keep going up just like AS doses.

I weigh 210 right now and aim for 180gm a day, even AS stuff I do the doses are real low but it works just fine.

You can only grow so fast, if you can really add 2 inches to your arm in 10 weeks your skin would rip

NYBodyguard said:
lol

Amazing you mention this today, last night I was reading the book "The new encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding" by Arnold Schwarzenegger and on page 725 he says the generally recommended is 1 gram per kilo (2.2lb) but he says most bb's go for 1gm per lb

Yeah im with you the numbers just keep going up just like AS doses.

I weigh 210 right now and aim for 180gm a day, even AS stuff I do the doses are real low but it works just fine.

You can only grow so fast, if you can really add 2 inches to your arm in 10 weeks your skin would rip

Dude that's 1000% correct. As to the As dosage. I always kept it low and grew without problems and i have very average genetics. I believe that As should be used to aid in growth, but not as a crutch for growth. This is propably why by the time i even started to use test which was after very many short low dose cycles of Winny, Primo, and deca (never stacked) i blew up very quickly. 500mg of sust got me to 275 lbs. I could not believe it. But had i started off right away with some of the cycle the rookies are running today, i'd be God knows where, propably with a blow out receptors and actually needing 1000mg of test to get a pump or for it to "kick in".

44Blown said:

I used to do 2 grams per lb of body weight b4 I became a trainer. After become certified and learning the tricks of the trade I only use about 0.8 to 1.5 grams per lb body weight. With that amount you will grow just as much as you would taking in 5 grams per lb of body weight. Your muscles get full just as your stomach... they can only saturate so much, after that you literally piss out the rest.

When dieting or on AS I always go for 1.5g/lb and it makes all the difference. If I only consumed .8g/kg of protein and replaced those calories with carbs I would just feel and look like crap. After twelve years I think I'll take my personal experience over the old men who came up with the RDA of .8g/kg as the requirement for the general population.

The RDA for protein, whish is based on the needs of sedentary people, is .8g/kg and I firmly believe a hard training bodybuilder needs more. It should be noted that much research on amino acids and protein has been performed by Dr. Peter Lemon at Kent State University and he recommends 1.5g-2g/kg for natural bodybuilders. If you look at the studies done with athletes and protein you'll see most of them come from the late 1980's, 1990's, and into 2000 which explains the rising recommendations.

Top Bottom