Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How fast do you gain strength?

Gladiola

I don't keep a training journal, but I can remember for the most part what weight I use for which exercises. I know that I've been going up bit by bit.

I'm wondering, particularly for those of you who do keep a journal, how quickly you progress and what is considered a good progression of strength gains?

Or as long as I'm continuing to go up at all than that is good???

Thanks

Hmm

well I usually only notice strength after at least 1 month, but hey human bodies have a mind of their own!!!

All i can say is dont give up something if you dont notice results immidately, a few months will pass and you ll notice that something has become stronger and youll regret having stopped

** Just a thought **

I'd LOVE an answer to this question, too. But I think it's all individual (sorry, I know you've heard this before). Anyway, my strength gains seem to be EXTREEEEMELY slow, and lately even on squats, I've taken myself down 20 kilos because I decided that what I thought was a parallel squat was not, so now I'm focussing on getting down there, and have decided to try and forget about how MUCH I can lift for the moment, until my form is ABSOLUTELY perfect.

I try to aim for more reps than the time before, since increasing the weight on the bar happens so slowly, like once a month, or less, depending on the exercise.

NO excluding the bench....rot cuffs be damned. We will bring that bench up to a respectable level....and then you can switch over to the "darkside" ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[All I can do is show you the door...you have to open it. But you would be VERY SUCCESSFUL in a short amount of time....ELITE TOTAL would be something you could attain in 2 years or less.

...and if you ever need a spotter...let me know ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
How long it takes to gain strength

I havent worked out in over 5 years and I decided to get back in shape I noticed my strength went up in about a month because I was lifting 2 to 3 times the weight when I first started my training now Im kinda stuck and im looking for more strength from what people say you need to increase your protein intake 2 to 3 G per LB of bodyt weight and that can be costly to your wallet because that mean someone like me 6' 2" 195 would have to take about 300 to 400 G of proteing a day in order to gain the muscle and strength I desire and that would just be too costly to me Im not rich.

The science suggests that in as little as 2-3 weeks you can notice a large increase but this is attributed to neurological gains. Further gains are suggested to be achieved by 6-8 weeks, but of course this is all 'average' data everyone will be different depending upon genetics, lifestyle etc etc

Gains for me usually come when I make changes in what I've been doing. Change workout, change diet (more protein, calories), up the intensity. It is next to impossible to be at the highest level all the time when you workout. (Life sorta gets in the way). Also, the longer you've been working out the harder gains seem to come by. But when I get in these ruts I remotivate myself, change things up a little, try a new supplement, heck, even buying a new workout outfit can help, and I will usually make some small but noticable gains.

Do keep a journal though. This allows you to measure your gains longterm. I can look at what I was lifting 2-3 months ago and there isn't much difference. But when I look back 18-24 months ago I even shock myself as to how much stronger I am.

Rebecca D

Ancient thread, but good question.

For me it depends on the muscle group. Legs gain about one rep on work sets every week usually for about 6-7 months after returning from a lay-off. Chest and lats about the same rate, but both plateau sooner. Arms and shoulders stubborn as hell.

Definitely agree with Becca on the value of longterm logs. Progress is slow, and if you can't look back 2 years or more, it's hard to really appreciate your gains.

I'm not joking. I'm 13 and not on any steroids or supplements, and I can curl approx. 5 pounds more every DAY. I progress just about as equally on other lifts too.

Top Bottom