Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how closely related are deadlifts to upper back exercises?

die faster

im having a problem putting deadlifts into my routine.
this is my routine im thinking of using:

sun - squats
mon - overhead press/ tris
tues - back(lats)/ bis
wed - rest
thur - squats
fri - chest/ back(rows)
sat - rest

im thinking of adding in deadlifts on either sunday or thursday but it makes me feel like im working my back, then back again with only 1 day in between.

do deadlifts work any of the same parts of the back as regular back exercises like rows and pull ups? or is it mostly lower back enough where i wont be hitting the same muscle groups 2 days apart? thanks bros

Deadlifts can take a lot out of you. I usually take a rest day after them.

Here's an option: you could do half of the amount of squats you wanted to do and do deadlifts for the remainder.
Example: Squat 4 sets ---> Squat 2 sets AND deadlift 2 sets.

What about this: Have deadlifts the day before or 2 days before ever stopped your upper back progress? The central nervous system will probably be pretty shot the day after a day dedicated to deadlifts which might affect progress no matter which exercise you're doing.

Barbell Deadlift

Weighted Pull-up

Barbell Bent-over Row

I found the links, you look into them to see which muscles are being worked the same for the Deadlift vs Pullup and row

I'd change that routine up a bit. Are you mainly focused on size or strength? What level are you at? Beginner/intermediate/advanced? What are your lifts at?

When I used to do a 5 way bodypart split, which is basically what you have above, I did it something like the following, and it worked good as far as the deadlifts/squats/upperback work jiving. You can also get rid of the arm day and make it a 4 day split.
D1: Back-Deadlift, Pullup, Row, etc
D2: Chest
D3: Off
D4: Legs-Squat, Lunge, Calves, etc
D5: Arms
D6: Off
D7: Shoulders/Traps

That being said, and particularly if you're interested at all in strength, I don't recommend doing that style of workout. A better approach would be either 3 day/week full body or a 3/4 day a week upper/lower split.

thanks for that link, some good info on there. i think ill make sunday my main focus on deadlifts, with some different squat excercises like front squats and hack squats so:

sun - deadlifts/ front squat/ hack squats
mon - overhead press/ tris
tues - back(lats)/ bis
wed - rest
thur - squats
fri - chest/ back(rows)
sat - rest

im still kind of new to deadlifts, im only using 135, 225 and 275 so i dont think ill be overloading my CNS too bad. im also not going all out on them like i do on squats

I'd change that routine up a bit. Are you mainly focused on size or strength? What level are you at? Beginner/intermediate/advanced? What are your lifts at?

When I used to do a 5 way bodypart split, which is basically what you have above, I did it something like the following, and it worked good as far as the deadlifts/squats/upperback work jiving. You can also get rid of the arm day and make it a 4 day split.
D1: Back-Deadlift, Pullup, Row, etc
D2: Chest
D4: Legs-Squat, Lunge, Calves, etc
D5: Arms
D6: Off
D7: Shoulders/Traps

That being said, and particularly if you're interested at all in strength, I don't recommend doing that style of workout. A better approach would be either 3 day/week full body or a 3/4 day a week upper/lower split.

cato i like this routine. i have a notepad file on my desktop with my routines, def gonna add this one. but for now i really want to incorporate a chest/back day even though it kind of gets in the way of everything when trying to put a schedule together. chest back supersets give me by far the craziest pumps ive ever had and right now im going to start putting everything i have into size, then when im done i follow up with strength for a couple months.

also i never train bi's seperate from back without at least 2 days of rest, same for chest/ tris.

Whats your weight/height? You really shouldn't base your workout on which things give you a good pump. It's got nothing to do with muscle growth. Given the weight you're deadlifting with, you'd probably benefit more from doing something like an upper/lower split. This will even let you do chest and back on the same day like you wanted. The specific way you have your routine set up above is very weird.

What about something like:

D1: Deadlift, Front squat, Calves, Abs
D2: Bench, Barbell row, standing overhead press, pullup
D4: Squat, stiff-leg deadlift, calves, abs
D5: Off
D6: incline bench, overhead dumbell press, dumbell row, chinup, 1 tri, 1 bi
D7: Off

Or check out the ultimate training split sticky at the top.

Whats your weight/height? You really shouldn't base your workout on which things give you a good pump. It's got nothing to do with muscle growth. Given the weight you're deadlifting with, you'd probably benefit more from doing something like an upper/lower split. This will even let you do chest and back on the same day like you wanted. The specific way you have your routine set up above is very weird.

What about something like:

D1: Deadlift, Front squat, Calves, Abs
D2: Bench, Barbell row, standing overhead press, pullup
D4: Squat, stiff-leg deadlift, calves, abs
D5: Off
D6: incline bench, overhead dumbell press, dumbell row, chinup, 1 tri, 1 bi
D7: Off

Or check out the ultimate training split sticky at the top.

im 5'8 185 12% bodyfat 22 years old. 3 rest days is too many for me, 2 is as much as i can go without having withdrawels lol. and i have to disagree with you about getting good pumps. maybe not true for you but good pumps for me are the make/ break with muscle growth :D and plus i just love doing the chest/back day theres really nothing else like it for me.

also what is wierd about my routine? another one i was thinking of is:

day 1 - overhead presses
day 2 - squats
day 3 - rest
day 4 - bench
day 5 - deadlifts/back/bis
day 6 - rest
repeat

ive always thought of the back like the chest its one big muscle but different angles/exercises do slightly hit different areas . for back i used to do deadlifts , weighted chins , wtd pull ups , bb row in that order ( id rotate the order from week to week) . now i do chins , rows n pull ups on a seperate day and i do DL and squat on the same day i just rest about 5 mins between the two . squat first (its lighter , 3 ramping sets to 3 work sets of 280 x 5/6) then DL 1 x warm up set of 220 x 8 then 3 sets of 3 at 340 since i swapped to this i now rest 4/5 days between squats/ deads and they did start moving up again . my lifts are quite light so i dont know how it would be for someone lifting say dl 450 n sq 350 for example

That last routine you posted is better than the other one. You can do 1-3 accessory exercises on each of the days. The reason I am saying your first routine is weird because it seems like things are included at random frequencies. Squats 2x per week, chest 1x, lats you're hitting 2x, shoulder 1x, etc. Just seems a bit random.

About the pumps, it's not my opinion, its scientific. The pump feeling is just blood rushing into the muscle and lactic acid building up. Think about it, you can get a pump curling 5 lbs dumbells 100x, but it isn't going to make your muscles any stronger or any bigger.

It might just so happen that you've gotten pumps in your workouts in the past that have been intense enough to elicit gains for you, but don't be confused into thinking you need to feel a pump to grow or get stronger.

Top Bottom