Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

High intensity VS low intensity for fat loss

High VS Low intensity training for fat loss

• High intensity, i.e. shorter rests, higher heart rate

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Low intensity, i.e. longer rests, steadier heart rate

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Dr. JK

What is better for fat loss, high intensity, shorter workouts with less rest between sets with higher heart rate or low intensity, longer rests with a steadier heart rate??

Dr. JK said:
What is better for fat loss, high intensity, shorter workouts with less rest between sets with higher heart rate or low intensity, longer rests with a steadier heart rate??

it has been documented that low intesity burns more calories while being performed, where as high intesity results in great post workout caloric expenditures

It is IMPOSSIBLE that lower intensity burns more calories when being performed. This is a simple energy equation. I think what you mean is that it is arguably better for fat loss because the body allegedly prefers to use calories from fat in the so called "fat burning zone."

I would have just have to say both. Nothing on a consistant basis is good so just switch it up every now and then espeicially for fat loss

Does anyone really think that plodding along and going through the motions will burn more fat? Please, you need to be busting your ass if you want to seriously burn more fat.

I changed my cardio from 3 times a week at a modest pace 30-45 mins to 3 times a week at a very very high intensity 20 - 25 mins 3 times a week. I gained about 8lbs of fat :(

My only explantion is that I got hungrier and falsely assumed that I could afford to eat more :(

poantrex said:
Does anyone really think that plodding along and going through the motions will burn more fat? Please, you need to be busting your ass if you want to seriously burn more fat.

High intensity = carbs used for fuel. Lower intensity = fats used for fuel.

Of course, no one fuel is ever being utilized, just that the proportion of fat:carb being utilized is greater at lower intensities.

If you really want to find out what intensity you must be working at to burn the greatest percentage of fat...go to an exercise physiologist and have them measure the amount of O2 you're using and amount of CO2 you're producing...that will give you a respiratory exchange ratio (RER) which tells you which fuel you're burning more.

RER ~ .707 = 100% fat being used as a fuel.

RER ~ 1.0 = 100% carbs being utilized.

Who cares how much fat is used for fuel during exercise, its usually minimal. The best approach IMO is to bust ass and raise your metabolic rate as high as possible, to increase fat utilization after exercise.

poantrex said:
Who cares how much fat is used for fuel during exercise, its usually minimal. The best approach IMO is to bust ass and raise your metabolic rate as high as possible, to increase fat utilization after exercise.

You're right on there...but I thought the question was what was best for during the workout.

Top Bottom