Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help me out with my Vertical Leap

tehkevroy said:
so after my

Full Squat And Dumbell Bulgarian Squat

should i do some Jump-Rope?

the same day? no. If you do squats, just do squats. It's plenty of work.

Unless, you did warm-ups with jumprope for 10 minutes.

dabuffguy said:
the same day? no. If you do squats, just do squats. It's plenty of work.

Unless, you did warm-ups with jumprope for 10 minutes.

what you think about this

monday-squat
tuesday-jump rope box jump board jump depth jump
weds- off
thursday-squat
friday-jump rope box jump board jump depth jump
weekend-off

OR/

monday-squat
tuesday-cardio jump rope
weds-plyos
thursday-cardio jump rope
friday-squat
sat-off
sund-off

which one sound better

I already answered your PM on skipping - do it at the start to warmup, fire up the nervous system and keep your movement effeceiny sharp, but only is small 10-30secs sets 3-5 sets is enough

don't try and do too many thing in the workout and week, the more you do, the more diluted teh training effects. First get strong and maintain movement effeciency and jump form, and then everything will take care of itself as you transition to more reactive and speed work

I would not do depth jumps off anything higher than 18 inches, and maybe not higher than 12, because it will fry your nervous system for Fridays workout. Depth jumps are not to be treated lightly and something you don't do year round.

you will not be able to jump well the day after a squat session, it will take several days before you recover. You will feel a bit flat, legs heavy etc. The stronger you get the longer it will take to recover...

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/verticaljumpfaq.html

There are many different ways to get to the same end result but the principles never change. Anybody that ever increases their VJ did so because they boosted either:

A: The force behind the movement (consisting of strength plus the ability to rapidly display that strength)

B: The efficiency of the movement

That's regardless of whether you trained with platform shoes, rubber bands, weighted vest, pool work, weights, or whatever.

Instead of haphazardly engaging in various training methods and maybe getting lucky and impacting one of those qualities, why don't we start with the end result and work backwards and find the quickest way to our end goals? So, what if we ask ourselves, "ok, what is the quickest direct way to improve the coordination in the vertical jump? What is the quickest way to improve the maximum force production in the vertical jump? What is the quickest way to improve the ability to rapidly display that force?

The answer to any of those questions is not difficult. For example, let's take the case of improving maximum force potential. Some would have you believe that they've invented some new age gimmick or training technique that is the end all and be all to develop that quality. But if we look at a sport where the ENTIRE SPORT is based on who can develop the most force. What sport is that? Powerlifting! If such and such gimmick was so effective for force production why aren't ANY top powerlifters using it?

Now how about taking the shortline approach towards improving the rapid display of force. If something is really a miracle for increasing this quality why isn't it being used by olympic athletes like high jumpers, triple jumpers, sprinters, and long jumpers? There is no shortage of information on this. Through 50 + years of research and observation it is quite clear that the most potent training methods to improve the rapid display of force are variations of the following:

1. MOST IMPORTANT: Practice the specific movement (jump if you're a jumper - sprint if you're a sprinter)

2. Lift light weights with great acceleration (use jumps squats and other various explosive lifts)

3. Engage in plyometric "shock" training (a.k.a. - depth jumps)

Two and three are frequently not even necessary.

Are there any secrets here? No!

So basically we can just put those things together and take the shortest path towards reaching our goals.

-----------

so IMO, just get stronger, practise jumping a bit, but not so much it hurts your ability to get stronger, and you will be sorted. I doubt anyone who can full oly squat 2.5x their bodyweight or higher and practises jumping frequently has a vertical jump under 35 inches....

tehkevroy said:
what you think about this

monday-squat
tuesday-cardio jump rope
weds-plyos
thursday-cardio jump rope
friday-squat
sat-off
sund-off

which one sounds better?

2nd one sounds better.

I, luckily, have hops. I was dunking it in 9th grade, 15 years old. I'm 6'2" and can dunk pretty damn good. I also was fast on my feet. I did plyometric and speed training. I had a 34" vertical my junior year in high school. Didn't play basketball though. I was a baseball guy. Now that I weigh 35 more pounds than i did in high school, i can barely dunk it.

I always did sprinting, squats, and plyometrics. Did jumprope once in a while, but always git shin splints from that.

dabuffguy said:
2nd one sounds better.

I, luckily, have hops. I was dunking it in 9th grade, 15 years old. I'm 6'2" and can dunk pretty damn good. I also was fast on my feet. I did plyometric and speed training. I had a 34" vertical my junior year in high school. Didn't play basketball though. I was a baseball guy. Now that I weigh 35 more pounds than i did in high school, i can barely dunk it.

I always did sprinting, squats, and plyometrics. Did jumprope once in a while, but always git shin splints from that.

Damn you.

shinsplints = tight calves and weak tibs :)

stretch and foam roll them, then toe curls on a lying leg curl machine, toes hooked under the roller

tehkevroy said:
so after my

Full Squat And Dumbell Bulgarian Squat

should i do some Jump-Rope?

Get some Jumpsoles and do the PHI slamma Jamma Program.

I have it and here the link for it. Gained almost 16 inches on vert with this program. Unbelievable! now have 46 in vert. Explosive hops and im a whiteboy. They hate to see me coming at the court. lol Good luck. here s a link.

http://rs278.rapidshare.com/files/75741224/Phi_Slamma_Jamma.pdf

Dont hate, Innovate.

Top Bottom