Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help! Advice on losing weight

MaddysMom

Hi ladies. I came across this forum searching for ways to help lose weight and it has been by far the most informative site and I've learned a lot. I thought I would try posting and see if anyone has any advice for me.

I've recently had a baby and I've gained a monstrous amount of weight. Before I was pregnant, I weighed in the high 120 low 130 range (I hadn't really weighed myself) and I was pretty fit (going to the gym and lots of walking - more for fun than anything else). I went up to 190 during my pregnancy and 7 months later, I weigh 175 (I'm 5'4)! I know I shouldn't be this heavy and I have absolutely ZERO energy. I was just looking for ways to lose weight fast, but this site has taught me to try to attain a healthier lifestyle.

I know that with a lot of hard work, I can not only lose most of this weight, but I can also become a much healthier and active person. I just don't know where to start! I know I don't eat enough throughout the day and that I don't get enough exercise (I'll have breakfast of eggs and toast and have supper around 7pm OH and lots of coffee). I'm hoping that some of you knowledgeable ladies will have some advice on where I should start or know of some good sites that are maybe more suited to someone in my position.

My main problem right now is energy and I'm realisitic that it'll take a long time and a lot of hard work AND that I'll probably never see 120something on a scale again...I just want to feel better and be able to keep up with my baby girl. Thanks!!

Welcome aboard. I'm sure plenty of others will chime in as well, but the first thing I'd suggest is to get a sense of what you're eating and work on cleaning up your diet as much as possible. The next thing is that, scales aren't the end all and be all statement of weight/fitness/health.

Good luck.

Hello and welcome

Shall we get right down to business? :)

Would you mind posting up a typical day's diet for starters?

For example

6:00 am coffee when I get up to feed my wee one (what's her name BTW?)

8:00 am 2 slices toast (white or wholemeal??) with scrambled eggs (how are they cooked)

etc.......................

If the baby's 7 months old you should be getting some sleep by now, I'm wondering about hormones, too.

One of the other girls on this site had a baby and immediately afterwards starting suffering with thyroid problems, which turned her metabolism very sluggish. Any chance you've had your thyroid checked lately? A sluggish thyroid will just sap your energy and make it tough to get through the day, much less lose weight.

Thanks for the replies girls...

Well I never thought about thyroid, but I know that my diet is pretty bad and I hardly get much exercise other than housework and whatnot. Maybe I'll go get it checked out just to be sure. Thanks for the suggestion!

I usually have something to eat at around 11am once I've gotten everything else out of the way. I usually have a few fried eggs and two slices of multigrain bread.

I don't usually eat again until our late supper (around 7pm), but I'll have a few coffees with sugar and milk.

My husband loves to cook and we usually have something different every night. I've tried to make him understand that I want to eat healthier and earlier in the night, but he thinks I'm being silly. We use to drink ALOT of soda, but I've cut that completely out. The problem is is that my husband finds cooking supper for me relaxing and helps him wind down after work...and he thinks cooking healthy is "boring". I know I need to put my foot down but I feel bad taking that away from him.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific but I can say that I eat twice a day, in the afternoon and evening, and drink around 3-4 cups of coffee a day. And a lot of crystal light lemonade.

And her name is Madison :)

The infrequent eating may be a part of the being tired bit, and the weight issue.

I know a lot of women think that eating less or eating fewer meals is the best way to lose weight, but that is really counterproductive.

So the tired thing. The wholemeal bread and eggs = good for protein/fat and slow release carbs.

But once those calories run out, your energy levels will plummet, and leave you feeling tired.

This is the other thing about only eating infrequently.

If you think about where humans came from, all that living in caves in the cold, having to run around and collect all our food on our own, it was either feast or famine.

We got really really good at storing fat, as fat = survival.

This is the theory, some even say as soon as we go longer than 4 hours without eating, our body goes into this 'survival' mode. Metabolism slows down to conserve energy, and also starts to look for the most metabolically expensive tissue to get rid of, which is muscle.

As soon as we do eat again after our bodies have been in that survival mode, it will STORE as much fat as possible, just in case.

About the healthy and unheathy food thing.

What would you call healthy and unhealthy?

If your husband is cooking from first principle, using whole natural ingredients, even if it is stuff like butter, cheese, etc, it is fine.

It really is more about calories in and calories out.

But if you don't get enough calories in, you slow your metabolism,lose muscle = eventual fat storage

If you get too many calories in = fat gain

There are many ways around this.

I suggest that you start eating smaller meals throughout the day, and having protein in all of them is a good idea.

If you find this difficult, things like a small amount of nuts with some fruit or dried fruit, an apple and a bit of cheese, something that is easy to grab and nibble while you get used to eating more frequently.

Or get your hubby to make extra in the evening, and you can have some the next day for a meal as well.

Have you looked at any of the other threads in the stickies on this site yet?

Hey thanks for your response - it has definitely shed some light on this issue for me. I do understand that eating less is counterproductive and I am certainly living proof of that.

I have read through the stickies and I'm still sorting through all the information. I'm going to start meal planning and I've signed up for FitDay so I can keep tabs on myself.

In the mean time, I was wondering if someone like myself would benefit from a protein shake as a meal supplement? I do find it difficult to eat more than a few meals throughout the day so when I do find the time, I eat way too much for that one meal. I could certainly plan to have some nuts and fruit available for moments like this if protein shakes are not a good idea.

I also want to come up with an exercise plan for myself but I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to that! I've been to exrx.net and I've found some valuable information but any advice you could give me would be terrific. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position right now to be able to go to the gym.

I don't have any set goals for myself as of yet, I'm still researching and trying to figure out the best plan for ME...and I'm pretty pumped about that!

Thanks again for the great advice and all the terrific info available for people like myself looking for a place to start. :)

Though I suppose supplements are nice, there is nothing that you get from them that you can't get from whole food.

If you are having a hard time knowing what amount of food it "enough" then I am thinking you would benefit a bit from portion control. Adding extra calories from something that comes in a packet isn't going to help you learn what is adequate during a whole food meal.

Try www.fitday.com I know it seems a bit cumbersome but believe me, it helps take a lot of the guess work out. DIET IT KEY. Once you have that under your belt the rest will seem easy.

As for workout... There were a couple of us journaling our workouts. Do you have access to a gym or were you working out primarily at home. ANY MOVEMENT to get this ball rolling is helpfull.

Please let us know. :)

MaddysMom said:
Hey thanks for your response - it has definitely shed some light on this issue for me. I do understand that eating less is counterproductive and I am certainly living proof of that.

I have read through the stickies and I'm still sorting through all the information. I'm going to start meal planning and I've signed up for FitDay so I can keep tabs on myself.

In the mean time, I was wondering if someone like myself would benefit from a protein shake as a meal supplement?

Shakes are better than nothing, but they are not ideal.

MRPs are slighly better. If you are really, really pressed for time, things like old fashioned rolled oats 1/4 - 1/2 cup done in the microwave (or just boiling water on them and sit a few minutes) with whey protein mixed in is far better.

Or whey mixed in with natural yogurt, teaspoon of some nut butter.

The best thing is to have a BIG cookup on the weekend or when you have time, freeze smaller portions, do a roast (chicken, turkey, beef), you can have slices off it, steaming veg takes no time at all.

Once you start, and see the results of it, it gets easier, and you won't want to eat rubbish or not eat.

I do find it difficult to eat more than a few meals throughout the day so when I do find the time, I eat way too much for that one meal. I could certainly plan to have some nuts and fruit available for moments like this if protein shakes are not a good idea.

I prefer dried fruits and nuts over shakes to be honest. Good quality bread, like old fashioned rye, REAL whole wheat bread, bit of natural peanut butter or boiled eggs, there are a lot of quick foods that are not shakes.

I also want to come up with an exercise plan for myself but I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to that! I've been to exrx.net and I've found some valuable information but any advice you could give me would be terrific. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position right now to be able to go to the gym.

WALKING is one of the best ways to burn fat, baby in buggy and GO. Do your shopping this way, use a backpack, the extra weight on your back and under the buggie will help burning the calories. Smaller shops with a walk every day.

Hey, it is what women used to do, and in all honesty, most of my shopping is done by foot, and it does mean that I am walking for an hour solid.

If it is too much the first couple of times, walk there, cab it back, or time it so your hubby can pick you up on the way home from work.

I don't have any set goals for myself as of yet, I'm still researching and trying to figure out the best plan for ME...and I'm pretty pumped about that!

I know a lot of women think in terms of 'weight' but focusing on your 'skinny jeans' or 'that little black dress' that your husband loves you in is really a better way to go.

Thanks again for the great advice and all the terrific info available for people like myself looking for a place to start. :)

So are you going to start a journal?

:)

MaddysMom said:
Hi ladies. I came across this forum searching for ways to help lose weight and it has been by far the most informative site and I've learned a lot. I thought I would try posting and see if anyone has any advice for me.

I've recently had a baby and I've gained a monstrous amount of weight. Before I was pregnant, I weighed in the high 120 low 130 range (I hadn't really weighed myself) and I was pretty fit (going to the gym and lots of walking - more for fun than anything else). I went up to 190 during my pregnancy and 7 months later, I weigh 175 (I'm 5'4)! I know I shouldn't be this heavy and I have absolutely ZERO energy. I was just looking for ways to lose weight fast, but this site has taught me to try to attain a healthier lifestyle.

I know that with a lot of hard work, I can not only lose most of this weight, but I can also become a much healthier and active person. I just don't know where to start! I know I don't eat enough throughout the day and that I don't get enough exercise (I'll have breakfast of eggs and toast and have supper around 7pm OH and lots of coffee). I'm hoping that some of you knowledgeable ladies will have some advice on where I should start or know of some good sites that are maybe more suited to someone in my position.

My main problem right now is energy and I'm realisitic that it'll take a long time and a lot of hard work AND that I'll probably never see 120something on a scale again...I just want to feel better and be able to keep up with my baby girl. Thanks!!
Hey there! I am in a very similar boat there with you. I had my baby on August 30, 07. He's almost 9 months now. Anyway, I'm 5'2 and 1/3 (lol at the 1/3). I started out at about 125 or 130 and balooned up to 183 by the time I had the baby. Now, I have about 10 more pounds to lose to be back at my pre-baby weight. The key for me was to begin eating 6 small meals a day with protein and carbs in each meal. If you need a sample, a body builder friend of mine worked up a diet for me, and we have very similar stats.

Are you breastfeeding? I have heard from some women that breastfeeding takes the weight off faster. Others tell me that it made them hold on to residual fat so that they could still produce milk. I breastfeed, and I can't really tell you which I think is true. I don't know what my body would have done if I wasn't breastfeeding. So, I have nothing to compare it to.

Top Bottom