Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

genetic limitations

It amazes me how everyone defines themselves as "hardgainers." Just because you are skinny does not mean that you are a hardgainer. That word is nothing more than a crutch that is used by far to many people as an excuse to explain why they don't get the results they are striving for. Guess what -- the world doesn't always work the way you planned. You are 18 years old -- you are a pup in this sport. I have been training seriously for about 8 years now. I have trained my ass off all 8 years, but it was not until about 3 years ago that I learned what worked for me. Do I consider myself a hardgainer -- no. Have I ever considered myself a hardgainer -- no. I knew it took time and experience to learn what works for me. Very few people are true hard gainers -- they just don't have the knowledge or experience needed for this sport. That is not to say that you will blow up like a balloon once you figure out your tailored training style. Doesn't work that way. My legs grow slowly in comparison to the rest of my body. Do I automatically define myslef as a hardgainer or make excuses about my genetics -- no. I train my ass off each time a step foot in the gym and I am gratefull for every inch that I add to my legs and every tem pounds that I add to the bar. Stop making excuses and train you ass off. You should be training so hard that you notice nothing else around you except the pain and agony that you experience. If you are not ready to do that, then go home.

Sorry for the rant, but these excuses get old.

Maximum Intensity said:
It amazes me how everyone defines themselves as "hardgainers."...

That's everyone EXCEPT women - they all think they "bulk easily". Yeah, right...all these women are just freaky genetic marvels disguised in their Ally McBeal bodies! ;)

FitFossil said:
That's everyone EXCEPT women - they all think they "bulk easily". Yeah, right...all these women are just freaky genetic marvels disguised in their Ally McBeal bodies! ;)

LOL!!!

Maximum Intensity said:
It amazes me how everyone defines themselves as "hardgainers." Just because you are skinny does not mean that you are a hardgainer. That word is nothing more than a crutch that is used by far to many people as an excuse to explain why they don't get the results they are striving for. Guess what -- the world doesn't always work the way you planned. You are 18 years old -- you are a pup in this sport. I have been training seriously for about 8 years now. I have trained my ass off all 8 years, but it was not until about 3 years ago that I learned what worked for me. Do I consider myself a hardgainer -- no. Have I ever considered myself a hardgainer -- no. I knew it took time and experience to learn what works for me. Very few people are true hard gainers -- they just don't have the knowledge or experience needed for this sport. That is not to say that you will blow up like a balloon once you figure out your tailored training style. Doesn't work that way. My legs grow slowly in comparison to the rest of my body. Do I automatically define myslef as a hardgainer or make excuses about my genetics -- no. I train my ass off each time a step foot in the gym and I am gratefull for every inch that I add to my legs and every tem pounds that I add to the bar. Stop making excuses and train you ass off. You should be training so hard that you notice nothing else around you except the pain and agony that you experience. If you are not ready to do that, then go home.

I agree.

Maximum Intensity said:
It amazes me how everyone defines themselves as "hardgainers."...

Maximum Intensity ,

There are definitely people with 'hardgainer' genetics and ectomorph body types. I train with one and he works damn hard in all aspects of bodybuilding. (Hes progressing, just not as fast as the average guy)

Mesomorph - A person who gains lean muscle easily.

ECTOMORPH - A PERSON WHO FINDS IT HARD TO GAIN MUSCLE OR FAT. They cannot gain weight, so they usually remain thin until their metabolism slows down; even then some ectos cannot gain weight.

Endomorph - A person who finds it easy to put on weight in the form of both muscle and fat. They are ususally naturally rounded.

If you think that hardgainers are skinny because they dont train as hard or intelligently as you, then in a lot of cases you are mistaken. However, it is up to them to find what works best and this will take some time, as it says above, they'll find it much harder than most people until their metabolism slows.

Oh yeah, hardgainers shouldn't train their ass off so hard that all they feel pain and agony. This doesnt work for hardgainers, 'more is not better in this case!'

If you train like this and gain, then no your not a hardgainer. (At least not any more)

First, the point that you are missing is that way to many people define themselves as hardgainers simply because they don't progress as fast as they would like. That word is thrown around about as much as the word natural -- it is used as a crutch to blame their lack of gains on. Are there hardgainers -- yes. Is every ectomorph a hardgainer, absolutely not. That is where the problem lies, people define themselves as hardgainers simply because they have an actomorph body type. That is not what is meant by a hardgainer.

Second, hardgainers do need to work their asses off on each set they perform. The difference is that the amount of sets or volume if you will is far less than the average trainer. If it meant they could go into the gym throw some weights around without ever hitting failure, then 90% of those who go to the gym would be completely jacked. Very few people want to hit the pain barrier yet alone go beyond -- look at your average Joe in the gym, they are average because that is the way they train. One set can bring you to tears -- this is not a volume term. If you don't understand this concept, then you are not training at maximum intensity and you do not understand what it means to train hard -- period. Anyone can perform countless sets in the gym and most people do. Those who make gains in the gym know how to get everything out of each set they perform -- they know what intensity means. Being defined as a hardgainer does not mean that you don't have to work hard, it means you have to kick ass within the volume you are performing.

I see what you guys are saying about hard gainers, BUT some people CANNOT gain weight until their metabolism slows down. When I was younger I tried everything to gain weight and could not gain more than a couple of pounds if any at all. I tried all kinds of lifting programs and only got stronger(not bigger).
I also was contently hungry and ate all the time(at least every 2 hr all day long).
Now in my mid twentys I am able to finally put on some decent size, but I still have to eat twice as much as most people.
Moral of the story is that it is not always a crutch for hardgainers to lean on, and blame their lack of progress on.

I am not saying the term is a crutch for hard gainers to lean on. I agree whole heartedly that there are those unfortunate souls who are hardgainers. What I am saying is that to many people classify themselves as hardgainers when in fact they are not. Anybody can train hard, anybody eat a lot, anybody can eat correctly, but until you get everything in motion with one another some people are going to have a harder time gaining muscle than others. What works for me is not necessarily going to work for you and vice versa. I have a sixteen year old brother who was as skinny as a bean pole -- he couldn't gain weight to save his life even though he was training hard and "eating all the time." All I did is changed when, how much, the types of protein he was consuming -- brought everything down to single terms that he could follow. Guess what -- he gained 10 pounds in two months. All I m saying is that simply because you are not gaining weight does not mean you are a hard gainer -- it could mean you aren't doing something correctly.

Top Bottom