Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Generally, how fast should I progress in weight.

BabyJayPenn

Hey EF just had a quick question, i know everyone is different with the progression of weights but I was wondering GENERALLY, with a proper routine ( im doing westside il post it below ) and a diet of eating mostly healthy things but eating like a horse (seefooddiet) :D how quickly should I be adding weight to my compound lifts ex. Bench, Rack pulls ect

A. +++++ Max Effort Upper Body (Monday) +++++
B. MAX EFFORT LIFT - Work up to a max set of 3-5 reps.
regular barbell bench press

C. SUPPLEMENTAL LIFT - Perform 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
decline dumbbell bench press

D. HORIZONTAL ROW - Perform 4 sets of 10-15 reps.
Chest supported rows

E. REAR DELT/UPPER BACK - Perform 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps.
Seated rear delt machine

F. WEIGHTED ABDOMINAL EXERCISE - 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.
Hanging leg raises

+++++ LOWER BODY - (Wednesday) +++++

A. MAX-EFFORT LIFT - Work up to a max set of 5 reps.
Rack pulls (partial deadlift)

B. UNILATERAL MOVEMENT - Perform 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.
Barbell step-ups

B. HAMSTRING / POSTERIOR CHAIN MOVEMENT - Perform 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
Leg curls

C. GRIP TRAINING - Perform 3 sets of timed sets.
Wrist roller

++++++ REPETITION UPPER BODY - (Friday) ++++++
A. REPETITION LIFT - Work up to 3 sets of max reps, rest 60 seconds between sets.
Dumbbell benches on incline bench

B. SUPPLEMENTAL LIFT (triceps) - Perform 4 sets of 5-10 reps.
Dumbbell triceps extensions (flat

C. VERTICAL PULLING - Perform 4 sets of 8-12 reps.
Lat pulldowns (various bars)

D. MEDIAL DELT or TRAP EXERCISE - Perform 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
Dumbbell shoulder press (seated

E. ELBOW FLEXION EXERCISE - Perform 4 sets of 8-10 reps.
Regular barbell curls

F. ABDOMINAL CIRCUIT TRAINING

thanks in advance
baby jay

Depends what supps, and how experienced you are bro. If you're lifting just to get strong as fug and are just starting out benching like 150, you could add 5+ pounds a week. If you are a experienced vet that 5lbs a week would be phenomenal.

Depends what supps, and how experienced you are bro. If you're lifting just to get strong as fug and are just starting out benching like 150, you could add 5+ pounds a week. If you are a experienced vet that 5lbs a week would be phenomenal.

thanks for your input

I'm fairly weak i can bench only like 135 ive been hitting the gym for a year but off and on. My body is defs use to it but I havent made much progress due me slacking. Does that change your answer?

EDIT : getting swine flu and Mono in a row didnt help either.

also for supps im not taking any beside razor 8 blast powder (pre workout) just to get me amped and to the gym haha im 17 btw if that changes anything

About 10 lbs a week for squats/deadlifts and around 5 lbs a week for upper body exercises. Maybe less than 5 lbs a week for smaller muscle groups like bis/tris. You'll have to feel it out.

Interesting paper. Some of the findings seem to fly in the face of practice/conventional wisdom.

For example, the paper says in trained lifters (>1 year lifting experience) the optimal strength increase is at 80% intensity, which would correspond to sets of 7-8, while work in the 5-6 rep range produces inferior results (about 3x as inferior as 7-8 reps). Also the paper says that in untrained lifters, optimal strength increase is produced at 60% intensity, which corresponds to 15+ rep sets. Again, there was diminishing returns past this optimal 60%.

The general conclusions seem to be on target, for example that more experienced lifters need to lift with more intensity, but the specific conclusions seem suspect, for example that newbs make the largest strength gains doing sets with their 15-20 rep max.

Thoughts?

Interesting paper. Some of the findings seem to fly in the face of practice/conventional wisdom.

For example, the paper says in trained lifters (>1 year lifting experience) the optimal strength increase is at 80% intensity, which would correspond to sets of 7-8, while work in the 5-6 rep range produces inferior results (about 3x as inferior as 7-8 reps). Also the paper says that in untrained lifters, optimal strength increase is produced at 60% intensity, which corresponds to 15+ rep sets. Again, there was diminishing returns past this optimal 60%.

The general conclusions seem to be on target, for example that more experienced lifters need to lift with more intensity, but the specific conclusions seem suspect, for example that newbs make the largest strength gains doing sets with their 15-20 rep max.

Thoughts?

My knee jerk response is that n00b lifters need to spend a lot of time with weight that allows them to preform the exercise with "relatively" good form. If you load them up from the start, they will never be able to get the form down because their CNS will be sending "oh shit this is heavy" signals all over the place.

Also, the strength gain curve of an athlete looks a lot like a hockey stick with the blade pointed down and to the inside left of the graph. You can take any untrained/couch potato and make significant gains in a short period just by getting them active. Case in point would be some of my first year high school lifters. Depending on weight class, it is very common to see near 100% gains by the end of the season.

B-

@bblazer

My guess was also along those lines, that newbs, based on my experience, tend to make better gains with a "moderate" weight since form/neural issues are still huge for them.

The most surprising thing to me was the conclusion that for lifters with over 1 year experience, they experienced the largest strength increases while working with only 80% intensity. Most strength based programs on the other hand tend to work with top sets of 85%+. For example 5/3/1, which uses top sets of 85/90/95.

As I was writing this post, I realized that they are using mean intensity, as opposed to intensity of a top set. If you take that into account and assuming that the test subjects were doing ramped sets, the results actually align perfectly with conventional wisdom. With 5/3/1 for example you're talking about average intensities of 75-85% across the 3 sets you're performing (depending on week).

Top Bottom