Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

France Biulds doomsday machine ....

redsamurai said:
I think the bigger concern among some of the actual scientists there was the possibility of creating a new form of matter that would be completely unpredictable. :whatever:

The search for heavy, exotic particles to fit the Standard Model is actually the purpose of high-energy physics and colliders. There's no danger in finding them, as they are thought to already exist in theory -- we're just trying to achieve energies high enough in order to find them. See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model#Challenges_to_the_standard_model.

:cow:

I thought for sure this thread was going to about their uncovering a way to release their collective body odor in one blast.

samoth said:
The search for heavy, exotic particles to fit the Standard Model is actually the purpose of high-energy physics and colliders. There's no danger in finding them, as they are thought to already exist in theory -- we're just trying to achieve energies high enough in order to find them. See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model#Challenges_to_the_standard_model.

aren't they worried about one of these "supposed" particles interacting rather poorly with the surrounding matter of "this realm", so to speak??

Something about a chain reaction??

I hope they have a fail safe nuclear option that blasts away any potential problem.

redsamurai said:
aren't they worried about one of these "supposed" particles interacting rather poorly with the surrounding matter of "this realm", so to speak??

Something about a chain reaction??

I hope they have a fail safe nuclear option that blasts away any potential problem.

I've heard nothing to that effect. As far as I know, we're doing the same thing we have been for years, only at slightly (relatively speaking) higher energy levels for the remaining "heavier" particles.

samoth said:
I've heard nothing to that effect. As far as I know, we're doing the same thing we have been for years, only at slightly (relatively speaking) higher energy levels for the remaining "heavier" particles.

my dad mentioned something to me about this a few weeks ago. He knows a guy that used to be one of the top brass at CERN if not "the" top guy, not sure.......it's a good ole boys club and they all gossip with each other like hens. Anyway, I thought he said that was their biggest concern amongst the top brass there. The black hole thing was probably just a smoke screen for their real concerns. I'll have to ask my dad again......:whatever:

redsamurai said:
my dad mentioned something to me about this a few weeks ago. He knows a guy that used to be one of the top brass at CERN if not "the" top guy, not sure.......it's a good ole boys club and they all gossip with each other like hens. Anyway, I thought he said that was their biggest concern amongst the top brass there. The black hole thing was probably just a smoke screen for their real concerns. I'll have to ask my dad again......:whatever:
That's just what I want to hear. The black hole device is a cover for something serious. <sigh...we're all going to die...>

Top Bottom