Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

FACT: people without college degress make more than people who do!!!!

it really doesnt matter, what matters is that you find something you enjoy doing that you can make a living at. degree or no degree.

It's not always about getting a degree to get a job. College makes you learn many things that you wouldn't care to look into outside of a University. The key in school is to stay diversified and not just take classes that are tuned towards your major.

I've taken different history, science, theology, business, computer, art and other classes in my time at school, and I'm a Finance Major. I feel I'm coming out with a wider view on many things.

So it's not always about only getting a degree just to get a job.

flex123 said:
It's not always about getting a degree to get a job. College makes you learn many things that you wouldn't care to look into outside of a University. The key in school is to stay diversified and not just take classes that are tuned towards your major.

I've taken different history, science, theology, business, computer, art and other classes in my time at school, and I'm a Finance Major. I feel I'm coming out with a wider view on many things.

So it's not always about only getting a degree just to get a job.

THE VERY DEFINITION OF COLLEGE EDUCATED IS TO HAVE A WELL ROUNDED EDUCATION. THAT IS WHY THEY MAKE US TAKE STUPID SHIT LIKE MUSIC APPRECIATION.

Re: Re: dude

plornive said:
While I agree that academics does not necessarily lead to money, you are wrong about professors being people who couldn't make it in the real world. Professors at good universities have very difficult jobs that require high intelligence and mental fortitude. Getting a PhD is twice as difficult as performing most jobs out there.

Karma to you! Many professors I know have multiple jobs.

They come into the university and teach for 9-12 hours a week (since they cant do anything else :rolleyes: ) And they make anywhere from 60-120k a year for that.

Then during the rest of the week they consult for Fortune 500 companies, write articles for scientific journals, consult for the government, work for the defense department, author or revise books, etc. None of this is done for charity either.

AS FAR AS BUSINESS PROFESSORS GO, MOST OF THEM TEACH AND DO SOME TYPE OF CONSULTING ON THE SIDE.

ONE OF MY FINANCE PROFESSOR'S DISSERTATION CHAIR (THE PERSON WHO WAS IN CHARGE OF HIS PH.D) PAID TAXES ON $800K THE YEAR HE WAS COMPLETING HIS PH.D (EARLY 90'S). ONLY ABOUT $100K OF THAT WAS FROM TEACHING. THE REST WAS FROM CONSULTING.

ANOTHER ONE OF MY FINANCE PROFESSORS IS FREQUENTLY CALLED TO COURT AS AN EXPERT WITNESS IN MATTERS DEALING WITH FINANCE IN COURT. SHE ALSO DOES VALUATION'S, ROAD SHOWS, AND VARIOUS OTHER STUDIES RELATING TO FINANCE/ECONOMICS. SHE'S ONLY ABOUT 35 OR SO.

SO THE STATEMENT OF "THOSE WHO CANT DO, TEACH" IS A FALLACY. A MORE ACCURATE STATEMENT WOULD BE SOMETHING LIKE "THOSE WHO CANT GET A NEW CONTRACT, OR GET CAUGHT IN HOTEL ROOMS WITH HOOKERS AND CRACK, OR BLOW OUT THERE KNEE, OR ARE JUST PLAIN SAD, ARE NOW COMMENTATORS FOR FOX OR SOME OTHER NETWORK".

KAYNE

Last edited:
supernav said:
>People with degrees may start 4-5 years after you but they >start at a higher level and get promotions faster

Yep. But seriously dude, nowadays EVERYONE has a degree. With foreign degrees, online degrees, more universities and colleges -- everyone and their mother has a degree now. Look at the IT career. Having a degree just means you're guy #58581 in line for the job instead of #58582.

-= nav =-

hence the 2nd part of his post, where you get your degree

it REALLY depends on what you plan to do with your life, what employment you aspire to and what you feel you want to get out of college.

uni isnt the be all and end all of education, depending on the course you might just be doing something to get a diploma in anything. thats why there are different degree;s, and the standards of uni and the quality of degree will affect what job you get later on in life

some jobs require degree's, others dont. in the majority of cases m sure they help and if you looked at the % of graduates salaries at say age 35 comapred to non-graduates im sure they would be higher.

as always it depends on the job and the individual

A VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE OF THE POPULATION ACTUALLY HAVE DEGREES. I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT ONLINE BULLSHIT, CERTIFICATIONS, AND OTHER BULLSHIT TYPE STUFF THAT COMPANIES LAUGH AT.

BEING PART OF THAT SMALL PERCENTAGE WITH DEGREES DRASTICALLY IMPROVES YOUR CHANCES OF MAKING MORE MONEY. IT HAS BEEN PROVEN WITH NUMEROUS SCIENTIFIC STUDIES.

Most of the people I know without degrees are working at furniture factories, as waitors or waitresses, or are trying to find work in construction (which isn't too good right now).

Top Bottom