Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

employer forces smokers to quit or lose their jobs. he says fatties are next!!

the nature boy said:
I'd like to know he will go about firing fatties. What will the criteria be? BMI? Looks? Some other innacurate measure of fatness?

I think it says he is willing to help them lose the weight. Gym membership fees, etc. You can't just fire fat people. It's considered a disease. Which is bullshit for most cases. But, the government has classified it as much. So in some bullshit way the americans with disabilites act protects them.

MattTheSkywalker said:
How about you, you and you...you're terminated effective of this conversation .

Sounds about right to me.

sounds like fatties and smokers should go work for the government then. you have to try really hard to get fired.

the nature boy said:
sounds like fatties and smokers should go work for the government then. you have to try really hard to get fired.

Many do...

but on a serious note...

that's the difference between public sector, and private sector. A privately held company is subject to fewer regulations; you know all this.

MattTheSkywalker said:
Many do...

but on a serious note...

that's the difference between public sector, and private sector. A privately held company is subject to fewer regulations; you know all this.

yeah. plus at public sector places i've worked at it seemed that the powers that be were afraid of getting sued for wrongful dissmissal. maybe it's because of those regulations. all they would do is put up with them, or they'd keep moving them around to other departments.

I was on a gig for a federal department last year, and I was amazed at the lack of professionalism I encountered. Some of the assholes in particular were really smart, but their behavior was terrible. they wouldn't last a minute in the corporate world with that attitude. but then, you already know all of this crap.

MattTheSkywalker said:
It's not discrimination.

If I buy my clothes at Neiman Marcus instead of Saks, is saks going to sue me and say I have to "treat them the same way?" of course not. It's my money, I can do whatever the fuck i want with it.

The owner of this company also spends his money on employees. It's his money...he owns it, they're private, so again, he can do whatever the fuck he wants with his money.

What's the difference?

Perhaps not legally but it's discrimination nonetheless.

bluepeter said:

yeah but you could argue that everything is discrimination. If I hire someone that's more qualified than someone else, I'm discriminating, right?

bluepeter said:

Is this where I come on and say that much discrimination si the heart of every bit of progress our species has made?

if we accepted everything wholesale, nothing would change.

I LOVE discrimination, and practice it whenever I can.

MattTheSkywalker said:
It's not discrimination.

If I buy my clothes at Neiman Marcus instead of Saks, is saks going to sue me and say I have to "treat them the same way?" of course not. It's my money, I can do whatever the fuck i want with it.

The owner of this company also spends his money on employees. It's his money...he owns it, they're private, so again, he can do whatever the fuck he wants with his money.

What's the difference?

The hell it's not. SO I guess this man can decide not to hire blacks or women since it's his company. There are laws in place to protect people for a good reason. You can't fire someone becasue they smoke. As soon as someone challenges this policy in a court of law, the man loses. Oh wait....... Republicans are taking over. Nevermind. We're all fucked.

biteme said:
The hell it's not. SO I guess this man can decide not to hire blacks or women since it's his company. There are laws in place to protect people for a good reason. You can't fire someone becasue they smoke. As soon as someone challenges this policy in a court of law, the man loses. Oh wait....... Republicans are taking over. Nevermind. We're all fucked.

a person's sex or skin color is something they are born with. smoking is a choice.

Top Bottom