Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

employer forces smokers to quit or lose their jobs. he says fatties are next!!

rsnoble-im-back said:
I don't smoke, but this is bullshit cause it empowers companies way too much. What's next? If I lost my job due to that and it caused a bunch of problems-I would kill that motherfucker. And hopefully one of them will before it gets out of hand.

I'm with you on that. I'm not going back to the days of the railroad tycoons. Next they will tell us we have to go to church on Sundays and must be confessed Christians or we'll lose our jobs. THink that's too far fetched? Better think again. And homosexuals will be hard pressed to find a good job also. Stop the insanity!! We're becoming like the extremist Muslim fundamentalists with Georgie and his conservatives running the show.

the nature boy said:
If they are all choices, what's there to differentiate?

Nothing. That's the point. If you can't differentiate, you can't determine one 'offense' is punishable by termination while the rest are not. As well, it would be next to impossible to determine the 'level of abuse'. Smoker A smokes 5 cigarettes a week and smoker B smokes 5 packs a week. They're both smokers so they both get fired but one is obviously a much higher risk than the other. Now let's compare smoker B with fatass A. Fatass A is morbidly obese, has heart problems, liver problems, blood pressure issues etc. Is he more of a risk to the employer than smoker B? Who knows?

This is why I'm saying you should not be able to fire someone because of a lifestyle choice (assuming it isn't illegal). You can't pick and choose so you would need to fire everyone. Let's fire gays too. Isn't that a lifestyle choice that could possibly be unhealthy? How about people that live with a smoker? Never smoked a day in their life but inhale that second hand shit everyday. Do you fire their ass too?

Just can't do it man.

Devastation said:
if i had some ultra fat pig working for me i'd fire their gigantic unhealthy ass

I give up. You people are hopeless.

biteme said:
You'll love it until they fire all men with hairy backs. I really thought you people were smarter than this. Oh well. I see how Bush got elected.

"First They Came for the Jews":

By Martin Niemoeller

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

biteme said:
The hell it's not. SO I guess this man can decide not to hire blacks or women since it's his company. There are laws in place to protect people for a good reason. You can't fire someone becasue they smoke. As soon as someone challenges this policy in a court of law, the man loses. Oh wait....... Republicans are taking over. Nevermind. We're all fucked.

Bor,

This is a private company. Funded by one guy's own money. Just like I use my own money to shop at Saks rather than Urban Outiftters, he uses his money to decide who is on his payroll.

Who should tell you where to spend your money?

See, where you are wrong is that you allow blurring of the line between public and private. A public company is regulated by the SEC, a taxpayor funded entity, so certain laws must be adhered to as a matter of public policy.

A private company is not, and the majority shareholder gets to make the rules. No one is forcing the employees to work there; only the government can force anyone to do anything. All of these employees can quit anytime.

The company is his property. The people he employs are voluntarily there. As the company is his property, he can set any policies he wants. Employees, who are not his property, can decide for themselves whether or not they want to participate.

Property rights > sensitivity. Or else I am going to take all of your paycheck and give it to tsunami victims.

bluepeter said:
You can't pick and choose so you would need to fire everyone. Let's fire gays too. Isn't that a lifestyle choice that could possibly be unhealthy? How about people that live with a smoker? Never smoked a day in their life but inhale that second hand shit everyday. Do you fire their ass too?

Dude, if it's my company, I can hire and fire anyone I wish. However I would not discriminate against sex, sexual preference, race, or religion, and if I'm not mistaken it's illegal to discriminate for those reasons. Everything else is fair game. May not seem fair, but I can do hire and fire anyone I want. As for someone living with a smoker, I think you're splitting hairs here.

the nature boy said:
Dude, if it's my company, I can hire and fire anyone I wish. However I would not discriminate against sex, sexual preference, race, or religion, and if I'm not mistaken it's illegal to discriminate for those reasons. Everything else is fair game. May not seem fair, but I can do hire and fire anyone I want. As for someone living with a smoker, I think you're splitting hairs here.

You're right on the money as is Matt......legally. I don't dispute that. I dispute it from a moral standpoint.

If it's your company, your money, you can do whatever you like.

biteme said:
I'm with you on that. I'm not going back to the days of the railroad tycoons. Next they will tell us we have to go to church on Sundays and must be confessed Christians or we'll lose our jobs. THink that's too far fetched? Better think again. And homosexuals will be hard pressed to find a good job also. Stop the insanity!! We're becoming like the extremist Muslim fundamentalists with Georgie and his conservatives running the show.

This has got to the most ignorant bleeding heart liberal I have EVER seen. He is arguing a PRIVATE issue on a GOVERNMENT stance. Pure 100% TYPICAL LIBERAL !!

Top Bottom