Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dumbell Weight vs Barbell Weight for Bench

Which style of bench press is more effective?

• Barbell

Votes: 80 42.1%
  • Dumbell

Votes: 98 51.6%
  • No Difference

Votes: 12 6.3%

• Total voters
I use db only. it gave my chest top shape and if its heavy u drop it :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using EliteFitness

sounds pretty good. I ve been using db all the time as I have nobody to train with. I must say nobody has chest like me in our gym. there I believe db gives u great shape.
but im recently on the same weight 45kg and not going over. the benchpress might be the right solution :))

Sent from my GT-I9300 using EliteFitness

The problem is that most people don't lift heavy dumbbells....
For incline presses at a higher include you have to shoulder those dumbbells in place before you lift them.

I do more dumbbell presses now. I just have to get mentally ready to lift them.
Dumbbells are a much more physically taxing way to do chest presses then barbells... Especially inclines

More effective needs to be defined. More effective for hitting your best max bench, then you have to focus on bench. Specificity in training. For chest size, you could probably pick one or the other, but like so many have said, do both!

I think people say that to mean dumbells more effective in targeting the chest area. Which I would agree with.
I believe this is measured by EMG

Dumbbells require the use of stabiliser muscles so you won't be able to lift as much. I usually use both barbell and d/b as this gives me a good mix of chest training

Not only does it incorporate stabilizers but also really highlights weaknesses in one side that are masked by barbell presses.

I like to do one set of barbell presses to see how I'm progressing on that particular lift but all other presses I use dumb bells. I had a severe weakness in my left side that went unnoticed for quite a while due to only using barbells. Fast forward 6 months later and it has almost caught up and my barbell press is better than it ever has been.

I got 150's DB up for two a few years ago on flat, that was intense.
I rarely BB bench anymore as it jacks my shoulder joint so I so Db press 100's for reps and hammer strength press for heavy weight super set, finish with high rep machine fly's

I just do barbell, but whatever to each their own. If this were in the BB forum, I could see the DB's winning, but for weightlifting.... I don't see it. More weight should be the goal (for me anyway).

I"ve had a lot of guys here superset the two. Going to near failure on flat bench and then straight to dbells to failure...as well as the opposite. Both see good results.

This is one of my favorite things to do on chest day. 8-10 reps on bb followed immediately by dumbbells until failure.

Top Bottom