Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dumbell Weight vs Barbell Weight for Bench

Which style of bench press is more effective?

• Barbell

Votes: 80 42.1%
  • Dumbell

Votes: 98 51.6%
  • No Difference

Votes: 12 6.3%

• Total voters
I used to use strictly DB's because of the phobia I used to have of using the BB (afraid of it falling on my neck). I finally started alternating between DB and BB every chest day and my DB went way up. So I say use both.

tracemhunter said:
I used to use strictly DB's because of the phobia I used to have of using the BB (afraid of it falling on my neck).

Cool, but I am more worried about dropping a dumbell during the last few reps of a heavy set.

hey bro I do them both chest was tonight and I did a 10 x 225 ,6 x 245 and 6x255 . with 85 db s 3x10 x3 and ofcourse other chest exercises.but I get a good pull in the chest and I like the burn so I like the dbs somtimes I use them at the end of my workout and do my 3x10x3 then 2 burnout sets with the dumbells just to get good and toar up. I love that shit !!!!!!!!

This is a debate that is totally dependent on what you are training for. Dumbbells rock for chest development while barbell bench is not one of the better chest developers there is. Many consider it one of the worst. (I don't know a single pro bodybuilder that does flat barbell bench press.) But for strength sports, powerlifting, strong man, football, MMA... barbell bench is a great strength developer... and if you lift heavy enough you will see chest development... you just won't see the kind of development you need for bodybuilding.

NOT all exercises/lifts translate to being good for all sports. If I was a football coach, I'd rip my player a new one if I caught him training dumbbells.

Last edited:
Longhorn85 said:
Presses or flyes? Incline, flat? How about dips?
All of the above. Incline dumbbell presses and dips are the #1 chest developers for bodybuilding by a mile. DB Flat and flies are also good.

Physique development aka "looks" plays by different rules than developing raw strength.

Longhorn85 said:
The little gym I am using right now only goes up to 85lbs DBs :mad:
Since you are repping with 100s I would have expected you to be repping higher than 255 with the barbell.

Doesn't work like that.

I rep 100 DB's for 13 reps but can't even put up 8 reps at 235 with a bar. some people are just different/stronger in different ways than others.

another debate.. DB or barbel.. LOL... that was a thread talking about the diff between a DB and barbell bench. i forgot which was it. but anyways, it is said depends on what you are looking for. strength builders go on barbell bench, body building on dbs.. but if u talk about the chest muscle, its actually said that its a WHOLE muscle on its on, and its impossible to do an isolation on the chest muscle without involving the whole thing itself. some one also said, he could bench heavy, thus the db or flies is unnecessary. still, back to what ur're looking for.

besides, barbel trains alot of stability, both hands strength, db's, its easy to get out of form.. then again, tats why its called core work out.. :) depends on what u're looking for.

Top Bottom