Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

doing shoulders heavy, should i skip the side laterals?

marcu_s

well, im trying to variate as much as possible now.
this is my idea off a good offseason routine i would like to try.

doing 6-8 reps one day,10-12 one day and something like 2-4 reps one day.
also will variate sets, everything from 9-14 per bodypart.

ive done it like this:
day 1. back, calves
day 2. rest
day 3. delts,tric, 3-4 sets light chest, 15-20 reps (need to improve that part)
day 4. legs,calves
day 5. rest
day 6. chest,bic, rear shoulders
day 7. rest or cardio

2 questions.

1: i still need widht on my shoulders, but doing side laterals for 2-4 reps isnt gonna happen.
so im thinking about skipping the laterals on the 2-4 rep days.
would my shoulder suffer from this?

2: how does the routine look otherwise?
day 3.

if Im right your still a beginner right? If so then you dont need all this "variation" and switching stuff up, make/find a routine that you enjoy and has the heavy pressing, squatting and deadlifting in, mixed in with some assistance stuff. Some good assistance exercises are bent over BB rows, incline presses, RDL's, ab work and chins.

Here are some of the good routines that I can think off from the top of my head:

Super Squats 20 Rep Squat Routine

5x5 Calculator

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/ultimate-training-split-650464.html

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/listen-up-n00bs-670495.html

IMO if your doing a several of the following exercises then you dont need anything else for shoulders as a beginner: flat BB Bench press, Incline Press, Standing BB OHP, Seated DB or BB OHP, Dips, Bent Over BB Rows, Deads.

If Im wrong and your not a beginner and you have found that after a year or more's worth of consistent training that this style of variation works then year laterals would be ahrd to do 2-4 reps maybe change them up to 6 reps. That would be the first thing I thought of...

i know tons of people who build masive shoulders with just shoulder presses (any variations, seated, stand, barbell or db). that exercise should be the main focus. all the other ones are isolation, they come inhand when youre trying to bring out details in the muscle, but stick to the compound exercises for mass and dont worry much about the isolations, a few sets of side laterals wont hurt though. And like extra mile said, you dont need to change your routine much. i change my routine twice a year, either ill go a little higher in reps when cutting or stay low when bulkingup, i didnt see much differenc when i changed exercises. i think thats a myth that your body gets used to the same exercises, but if you eat more, you will get stronger, therefore, you will be able to lift heavier weights, resulting in bigger muscles and more results.

i know tons of people who build masive shoulders with just shoulder presses (any variations, seated, stand, barbell or db). that exercise should be the main focus. all the other ones are isolation, they come inhand when youre trying to bring out details in the muscle, but stick to the compound exercises for mass and dont worry much about the isolations, a few sets of side laterals wont hurt though. And like extra mile said, you dont need to change your routine much. i change my routine twice a year, either ill go a little higher in reps when cutting or stay low when bulkingup, i didnt see much differenc when i changed exercises. i think thats a myth that your body gets used to the same exercises, but if you eat more, you will get stronger, therefore, you will be able to lift heavier weights, resulting in bigger muscles and more results.

your central nervous system does adapt to exercises. neurons fire to activate muscle tissue. your body will learn the easiest way to fire the muscles while expending as little energy as possible. so when the neural firing reaches maximal speed, it takes less muscle to do the same movement. that is the adaptation effect. the same concept goes with the mentality that muscle doesnt recognize weight, just tempo and time under tension. your body will adapt to rep ranges within weeks. the best strength trainers in the world preach this. its not a myth. changing exercises/rep ranges/tempo all will positively benefit you.

There's no need to ever do an isolation exercise for under five reps imo. Shoulders respond well to higher rep ranges. At least for me. I'm thinkin there's a lot of slow twitch muscle involved. Do your laterals for sets of 8-15 with 12 being the sweet spot imo.

I laterals 8 reps minimum and that's only if I fail. I shoot for 10-12

i do 6-10 on laterals. but even when i go heavy, i still use strict form. i do laterals sitting on a bench so theres minimal swinging, also i dont put the db in front of me so i can swing them up, they are right at my sides and i will hold for 1/2 a second at the top.

Top Bottom