Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Direct Calve Work???

vtec96

Who prefers to do direct clave work like raises..... I used to do them all the time but hear some PL's dont do any direct calves since they work them hard enough doing heavy full squats. I do squats once per week and was wondering how most people train them on leg day...and if doing them will make any strength gains......

Thanks,

Calf Work...

Many powerlifters do little to nothing for their calves. When performing heavy lower body compound movements (especially those involving the rear chain) the calves generally receive enough strength growth so that they are never considered a weakness for any lift.

Personally, I do 3-4 sets of calf work once or twice a week. Usually at the end of my ME & DE lower body days. I believe that strong calf muscles help stabilize the lower knee joint and I happen to envy those that are fortunate enough to have genetically large, shapely calves. I'm a wannabe, as they say.

- Screwball

Calves are a tough bodypart to describe about training. Before I staterd training I had small calves, like 14 inch calves and my older brother had 17 inch unpumped rippeed calves from the track and field and bodybuilding training that he was doing. I did the typical 3 sets of 10 rep bullshit on the calves but they remained the same size. Then grew a ferocity that stemmed from the pit of my soul and I put over 2 inches on my calves in less than one year from all kinds of insane calf raises. I was doing bodybuilding style Intensity or Insanity workouts of 50 to 60 sets (intense sets including drop sets) in workouts that spanned about an hour. I think that I was geneticly gifted with great calves and low insertions but I had to bust my ass to bring them out. Calves are like no other muscle, you will hit a cazy set if standing calf raises and those muscles then hit four other diff calf exercises in a row without a drop off in strenght, calves are built like no other fcking muscle there is. Try a five circut calf rotation withg no rest between adn you will find that the calves are insane and can recover almost all strenght in seconds and have rediculous endurance.

Interestingly enough I havent done calf raises in about half a year after goiung insane on them for aboutr half a year. They have actually gotten a bit bigger from the good morningsd and pull througs and powerlifting stuff. I wont bullsbhit you, I dont know what contribution they have in powerlifting, but I could do a 385 good morning suspended from chains without excessive strain a few months ago. I suspect that the calves have a role in the starting point in this movement. I will tell you what about calves, you need them cause there ius nothing more strange than walking around in shorts in a tshirt with arms and tiny calves...anyways my arms are still an inch bigger than my calfs but my calfs are ripped to shreads. I dont know what applications that they have in powerlifting.

I throw in calf workouts at the end of my dynamic day I'll do 3 sets of 8 of either seated calf raises or standing. The main reason I do them is b/c I do clean&jerks so the calf workouts help bring up explosion to my toes on my cleans. But either way calfs will help like screwball mentioned.

i only do 3 sets of 12 reps on seated calves to keep them from going into atrophy............ they get cut from walking like they other guy said............ when i want them to grow i do 2-4 sets of 4-6 reps............on standing calve raise........ i use 800lbs and on donkey mach i use 650lbs............. but for only 4-6 reps..........

dont feel like much.......... but it does the trick for me.

X

Top Bottom