Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlifts

wanderlust

I have never done deadlifts, and I need another good hamstring exercise besides leg curls. Will these do it?

Also, should I wear a belt? I guess I'm kind of worried about injury doing this exercise, it looks stressful on the lower back.

Obviously I will start slow and try and get my form down before I lift heavy. I'm thinking start with no more than 60 or 70 lbs.

try doing stiff leg deadlifts.
this will work both your lower back and hamstring.

yeah practice your form on normal deadlifts.

most people say if you have worked you abs properly (not just 120 crunches a day, but good ab exercises) and you have a strong back from doing shit like hyperextensions
you dont need a belt.

but....again.....start off with a low weight so you can get the form down.

maybe get a pro to help you.

I definately agree w/ endpoint, stay away from the belt. Strengthen your core muscles and practice good form and you will have almost no need for a belt.

What type of deadlift are you talking about by the way. Do you mean standard or stiff leg? I'm only asking because you mentioned your hamstrings.

edgecrusher said:
I definately agree w/ endpoint, stay away from the belt. Strengthen your core muscles and practice good form and you will have almost no need for a belt.

What type of deadlift are you talking about by the way. Do you mean standard or stiff leg? I'm only asking because you mentioned your hamstrings.
dont use a belt as it is. if you cant hold it, your core wont benefit from using a belt sometimes and then training your core seperately. build your core muscles up so that they catch up to the weight you had used previously with a belt. in the long run, you will benefit.

belts lead people to push out their abdomen to press their spine up against the belt. core muscles require you to draw in your abdomen to activate those muscles. if you are drawing in with a weight belt on....the belt isnt doing jack diddley for you.

when going heavy, use a belt...safety first, etc

get someone who knows how to do deads show the proper form...if done improperly, deads can screw your low back...two of the biggest guys I know used to do a lot of deads...both have had back surgery, and both attribute their back problems to deadlifts

that said, nothing thickens the back overall like deads

SLDL--best thing i ever did for my hams. Was having trouble squatting, hams would always give out, plus i was always straining my hams. I took up stiff legs and within a couple of weeks=squats fine, and haven't strained a hamstring once since then. i would say, do them slow and controlled and concentrate on keeping your abs tense--they help support your back when you're bent over and i find that takes some of the pressure off my back. keep your whole trunk tense while you do them. and i never use a belt--the belt would prevent me from using those same low back muscles that the exercise is supposed to train. when i feel my lower back telling me it's had enough i stop, even if i could go a couple more. i never felt safe going completely to failure with them. but i still make progress.

edgecrusher said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. The ONLY time I can forsee a belt's use is if you are doing a 3RM. Otherwise, strengthen those abs and lower back. I have gotten some great hammy workouts doing sumo style deadlifts. Check em out. As ferrus said, get a pt or someone in the know to walk you through proper form. Deads are not to be done incorrectly if you value your back health.

I feel that a belt weakens your lower back and abs.you become dependant on the belt and those muscles atrophy.Or you feel too safe with the belt on and don't use proper form going heavy.

my 2 cents

Top Bottom