Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Concentrating on the chest

danbo

Due to the really slow development of my chest i was thinking of adding another day to my training routine that is entirely chest exercises. I would then be weight training 4 times a week. Is this wise? What chest exercises should i do? So far i have got Bench press, Incline bench press and across bench pullovers.

Here is my current training routine:
Workout #1

CHEST

Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Pullovers

BACK

Hyper Extensions
Bent-over rows
Lat. Pull down

TRAPEZIUS

Heavy Dumbbell shrugs (5 sets to failure)

Power Lifting

Deadlifts (3 sets to failure) [2 minutes rest between sets]

Workout #2

SHOULDERS
Barbell clean and Press
Dumbbell Lateral Raises

Power Training

Heavy Upright Row (3 sets to failure) [2 minutes rest between sets]
Push Presses (3 sets to failure) [2 minutes rest between sets]

UPPER ARMS

Standing Barbell Curls
Seated Dumbbell Curls
Standing Triceps Extensions

FOREARMS

Wrist Curls

Workout #3

THIGHS

Machine Squats
Dumbbell Lunges
Leg Curls

CALVES

Calf Raises (5 sets of 15 reps)

LOWER BACK

Power Training

Straight-Leg Deadlifts (3 sets to failure) [2 minutes rest between sets]
Good Mornings (3 sets to failure) [2 minutes rest between sets]
I was thinking of putting this chest workout inbetween workout #2 and #3

I would add the weighted DIP, using wide parallel bars, for sure.

(also, it's called the cross-bench-dumbell-pullover)

I wouldn't work your chest and back on the same day as you have it set up. Also, move your trap exercises into your shoulder routine as they will get worked to some degree. Just by going with a narrower grip on upright rows will target the traps.

Try a split like the following:

Training split 3 on, 1 off

Day 1: Chest/arms
Day 2: Legs/abs
Day 3: Back/shoulders
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Chest/arms
Day 6: Legs/abs
Day 7: Back/shoulders
Day 8: Rest

If the above is a bit too intense then try the following split:

Training split 1 on, 1 off

Day 1: Chest/shoulders/arms
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Back/legs/abs
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Chest/shoulders/arms
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Back/legs/abs
Day 8: Rest

Exercises for developing the chest:

Flat Bench Press:
Hold the bar at a shoulder width or at a slightly wider grip. If your grip is too narrow you will end up working your triceps. The bar should be positioned over your eyes. Slowly lower the bar down and in towards the top of your chest. Don't allow the weight to touch your chest or bounce the weight at the bottom of the movement. Allow the pectoral muscles to fully stretch before driving the weight back up to the starting position. Remember to inhale deeply on the downward movement and exhale on the pressing motion.

Incline Bench Press:
Perform this exercise in the same manner as the flat bench press but on an incline bench. The angle of the bench should not exceed 45 degrees..

Decline Bench Press:
Perform this exercise in the same manner as the flat bench press but on an decline bench. You will find that the bar will go slightly further down your chest at the bottom of the movement.

Dumbbell Fly:
Can be done on a flat or incline bench. With arms slightly bent at the elbows and with you lying flat on a bench, bring the dumbbells down, in a circular motion, below a line going through your chest and parallel to the floor. Push the weight back up until the dumbbells meet. The movement is similar to giving someone a big bear hug. For an added stretch on the downward stroke of the movement, try to pull your shoulder blades back as though you are trying to touch them.

Pull Overs:
Position your shoulders on the leading edge of a flat bench and your feet, at shoulder width, firmly on the floor. Keep your hips lower than your shoulders throughout the movement. Take a dumbbell and hold it up and over your head with your hands flat against the plate. Inhale deeply and lower the weight down and behind your head. Go as low as you can and feel the full stretch. Raise the weight back up to the starting position and repeat.

Dips:
Grasp the handles of the parallel bars and raise yourself up to the starting position. Keep your elbows close to your body and your hips straight. Lean slightly forward and slowly lower yourself to the lowest position so that you slightly stretch your shoulders. Still leaning forward, push yourself up to the starting position. When you have mastered this form and are comfortable with lifting your own weight, then you can add a weighted belt for added resistance.

For all the above exercises, use light weights at first and concentrate on correct form. If you are still not making any progress in the development of your chest, then have a good look at your nutritional intake to make sure you are meeting your daily caloric intake for your level of activity.

KP--Fitness Basics

Jsut a semantic point, but the term "power" corolates w/ speed. You've got two movements that should be done in a slow. controlled manner listed as power movements. Check out power cleans for low back power. Also, training for power to failure is BEGGING to get hurt.

Guinness5.0 said:
Jsut a semantic point, but the term "power" corolates w/ speed. You've got two movements that should be done in a slow. controlled manner listed as power movements. Check out power cleans for low back power. Also, training for power to failure is BEGGING to get hurt.
I dont really train to failure, i just select a weight that i can do 10 reps of before failing, i never usually fail on the sets.

musketeer said:
I would add the weighted DIP, using wide parallel bars, for sure.

(also, it's called the cross-bench-dumbell-pullover)
ok thanks. 'dumbell' is spelled as 'dumbbell' by the way.

I would suggest having an upper/ lower body split like Kian's one on one off split, or going to a non/split workout such as the 5x5.

It looks to me that you are spreading yourself out too much. Forget shrugs if you are doing deads. Forget good mornings if you are doing deads. Just do heavier deads and hit it all.

read this http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4497774&postcount=15 and give it a try. If your chest doesnt grow from it, they you are not eating enough.

I will continue my weights programme for now as i only have 8 weeks left, as i have said in previous posts i am then going to do the 5x5.

None of you have answered the really question here. Is adding a day for chest a good idea?

5x5

I have read the 5x5 post before, but i just noticed something that is unclear to me.
Friday - Medium
Squat – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, back-off
Bench – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple, back-off
Powercleans – 4 sets of 5, 1 triple
Weighted Dips – 3 sets of 5-8
Triceps and Biceps – 3 sets of 8 each
What does it mean by triceps and biceps? What exercises does this mean to do?

i say it wouldnt hurt anything to just bench on one of your off days. that would be your chest workout.

tri's and bi's is beach work, curls and skullcrushers and such. single joint motions

Top Bottom