Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

College Sports Eligibility

Silent9

Quick question here. I graduated about 5 years ago from a division 2 college...never played any sports (except club). Would I still have athletic eligibility (for major university athletic teams) if I went back to college for my masters degree? Thanks guys.

Here's the NCAA rule:

Graduate Student Eligibility
A student-athlete who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of the college or university which he/she previously attended as an undergraduate student may participate in intercollegiate athletics, provided he/she has eligibility remaining and is within five calendar years of initial full-time collegiate enrollment for Division I and within the first ten full-time semesters of collegiate enrollment for Divisions II and III.

A student-athlete who has eligibility remaining and is within the specified five-year or ten-semester period also may participate while enrolled in a graduate or professional school at a Division I or II college or university other than the institution at which he/she completed an undergraduate degree, provided he/she meets the criteria of the one-time transfer exception to the general transfer residence requirement. That exception is as follows:

The student-athlete must be seeking to participate in a sport other than Division I football, basketball and men's ice hockey, except that a student-athlete who seeks to participate in Division I-AA football may use this exception only if transferring from a Division I-A program.
The student-athlete may not have transferred previously from another four-year institution unless he/she transferred previously and received an exception to the transfer residence requirement because his/her institution either discontinued the sport or did not sponsor the sport in which the student-athlete is a participant.
The student must have been in good academic standing and eligible to compete had he/she decided to remain at the previous institution.
The student-athlete's previous institution must certify in writing that it has no objection to the student-athlete being granted an exception to the transfer residence requirement.
NOTE: This exception does not apply to a student-athlete who attends a Division III institution for graduate school, unless the student-athlete is attending the same institution at which he/she was an undergraduate.

NOTE: If the student-athlete transfers to the certifying institution from a Division III member institution and meets the above-mentioned conditions, he or she may be eligible to compete but may not receive athletically related financial aid during that year.

I have a similar question, hopefully someone here can help me out, kind of a tricky situation though.

I'm planning on trying to walk on for basketball at a D1 school in the fall. I went to said school straight out of high school, and attended in 2001, 2002, and 2003, then sat out this past year. I started out at full time but dropped classes a week or two in, and wasn't full time most of the semesters. I have a hair under 60 credits, never played any college sport. I'm 22 right now and will be when school starts again in the fall. How much, if any eligability would I have left (I'm thinking at least 1 year but hoping for 2 or 3)? Can one of those years be redshirted retroactively?

I've been working very hard and have a very good chance to make the team and even play, assuming I have some eligability left, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited:
Souns like you're out of luck as far as varsity--but for a club team in most sports, you may be fine. Some schools, especially big DI schools with a lot of athletes, actually have really competitive club sports programs that are partially or fully funded by the school. Where I did my undergrad, our men's club hockey team was awesome, and most of these guys could have played on a D-III team elsewhere. I had no problem going from varsity in undergrad to a club sport in grad school. However, I do know some hockey players who were unable to do this because of elegibility, regardless of the fact that they were joining a club team. You may want to check with the school you're going to regardless.

You may be eligible at an NAIA school.

here's a scenario.

I graduated in 2006 with a 4 yr degree from a division two school. I have not played any college or professional sports. Would I be able to play for any amount of time at a division one school if i went back for grad school or a second undergrad degree?

I got a question...never went to college but played pro football several years.Is there still a chance to go to college and play football?I
know u cant play NCAA but is it different with the NAIA?

Top Bottom