Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

carb and post workout question

I imagine this has been brought up int his thread, but listen, your body doesn't give 2 shits when you get carbs...This Info was probably based around 1 test done in Antarctica or something in the 70's and it grew to be popular belief.

You need to eat balanced meals throughout the day. Get your alloted calories, and you'll be fine, it plain out doesn't matter when. If your diet is calling for say 500 grams of carbs per day, then it needs 500 grams. Not 500 grams before this time, or before the magical 4 pm.

Dude, just eat your 6 balanced meals or 7 or whatever and be happy :D

HOWEVER, it's not a great idea to just stuff yourself right before you go to sleep... you most likely won't get a good night's sleep and feel like crap the next day... if you eat a large meal (regardless of the breakdown) give yourself at least an hour or two to digest the food before you go to sleep...

best thing, eat two or three smaller meals (one right after your workout and one about an hour or two later and one a couple hours later depending on when you go to bed)....

Phemomena said:
HOWEVER, it's not a great idea to just stuff yourself right before you go to sleep... you most likely won't get a good night's sleep and feel like crap the next day

I personally sleep much better if I have a large meal -- the physiology of it makes sense as well. Elevated insulin leads increases uptake of tryptophan accross the blood brain barrier, where it is converted to serotonin. in addition, insulin inhibits the release of catecholamines and cortisol, both of which are stimulatory.

Response to what ppl are saying about carbs at night.

Yes you are right when you say that the body doesn't know when you get carbs. The fact is that you shouldn't consume many calories regardless of whether they are from carbs, protein or fat in the evening because your METABOLISM has slowed down significantly. You are no burning food that efficiently anymore. You also need to take in consideration that 97% of excess fat is stored as fat, 77% of excess carbs are stored as fat, and 70% of excess proteins are stored as fat.

Lots of people are fat because they skip breakfest, have small lunch at work and gorge themselves would food in the evening. They did not eat that many cals overall but they ate at the wrong time. I know my father was like that.

Re: Response to what ppl are saying about carbs at night.

BigAndy69 said:
Yes you are right when you say that the body doesn't know when you get carbs. The fact is that you shouldn't consume many calories regardless of whether they are from carbs, protein or fat in the evening because your METABOLISM has slowed down significantly. You are no burning food that efficiently anymore. You also need to take in consideration that 97% of excess fat is stored as fat, 77% of excess carbs are stored as fat, and 70% of excess proteins are stored as fat.

Lots of people are fat because they skip breakfest, have small lunch at work and gorge themselves would food in the evening. They did not eat that many cals overall but they ate at the wrong time. I know my father was like that.

Again, it does not matter when you eat. It is daily caloric balance that matters. If you eat at night you might lose less fat during that period, but if you accounted for the calories during the day, you will lose more fat then, thus making up for it. There is nothing magical about eating at night that makes you get fat.

Everything Par Deus said I agree with. I have been experimenting with this the last 2 months, and have also asked both MS and cockdezl about this also. Simply, as long as you are still within your daily caloric range for the day, and as long as you are not eating more than you are using, then you will not get fat. My main concern was whether or not the huge insulin spike late at night on a HYPOcaloric diet after my workout would induce lipogenesis. NO! Although a large insulin spike will not necessarily put you in a prime condition for fat burning, it doesn't necessarily lead to fat gain either. As long as you are not eating over your daily amount, the large carb/insulin spike is beneficial for muscle repair. NOW, that being said, is high insulin levels healthy? Probably not, but taking advantage of the condition after your workouts a fews days out of the week is the best time to do this, MS agrees with this also. When your body in in a debit for calories/less than maintenance, then you will still lose fat (well, maybe some muscle too if your diet sux). When I workout at night before bed, I make sure that my postworkout meal is within my daily allowance, which is usually 100 grams of carbs (Ultra Fuel), and around 100 grams of whey (actually, this is what my postworkout meal has been the last year).

Although I don't like using other peoples quotes without their permission, here is the answer I got from cockdezl through PM.
"I would imagine that as long as the calories are less than maintenance, then you will still lose fat. I know othat on a very low calorie diets, insulin function decreases...glucose levels remain normal, but insulin does not inhibit lipolysis as much as normal."

I also have a PM from MS/RETRO, but knowing that she visits this board pretty frequently, I'll let her speak for herself on this.

One more thing I find helpful, I like taking my ALA with this meal, especially at night to help with any lowered insulin sensitivity.

MR. BMJ

For that late at night you will probably be going to bed within a couple of hours from 7:00 I think that you should eat/drink about 75%protein for muscle building and 25%carbs for recovery my opinion I drink one myoplex 45gms protein with 21 gms carbs just my opinion.

Mr BMJ, I agree with what you say, but I think it is too general. Yes, you might not gain weight if you don't exceed your daily caloric range for the day, but from my experience with dieting it can have a negative impact on fat loss because of a slower metabolic rate and release of insulin.

However, this may not affect someone who is weight training because of the fact that there is an immediate need for calories.

Eating more in the evening when you haven't trained recently is a big mistake.

An example would be my 300lb friend Steve. He would skip breakfest(maybe have 200 cals or so), consume roughly 400-500 kcals at lunch, and well over 1000 kcals in the evening. He was eating a large dinner at 8:00 pm, and snacks(usually Ho-Hos) at 4:00pm and 6:00pm. He was eating below his maintainance level but he was getting fatter.

He dropped 30-40 lbs by simply eating more calories earlier in the day and much less in the evening. He was actually eating much more food overall.

AHHHH!!! So much confusion! Basically what it comes down to, how much carbs and how much protien should you be getting if you want to gain muscle mass, with every meal? I have heard about 25-30 grams of carbs and protien. I have heard 30 protien and 55 carbs. And I also heard remove carbs completly. Which way is the best way if for example, me, wieghing around 150 with 10% of body fat and looking for some pure 100% lean muscle. I'm looking for muscle mass only. NOT gain weight as in fat and muscle; I dont want to gain fat or be fat but intaking too much carbs and stuff.

Top Bottom