Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

can I or should I drink ALCOHOL????

2 " cut & paste's " i though were worth throwing in here....

Alcohol Impairs Protein Synthesis and Degradation in Cultured Skeletal Muscle Cells

Ly Q. Hong-Brown 1 , Robert A. Frost 1 Charles H. Lang 1
1 Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania.
Correspondence to Ly Q. Hong-Brown, PhD, Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology (H166), Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033; Fax: 717-531-7667; E-mail: [email protected]
Supported by Grant AA11290 from NIAAA.
KEYWORDS
Alcohol • Protein Synthesis • Proteolysis • IGF-I/Insulin Hybrid Receptors

ABSTRACT
Background: Acute and chronic alcohol intoxication decreases skeletal muscle protein synthesis under in vivo conditions. We investigated whether ethanol (EtOH) and its major metabolites, acetaldehyde and acetate, can directly modulate protein balance under in vitro conditions.
Methods: Human myocytes were incubated with different doses of EtOH for varying periods of time (i.e., 4–72 hr). Alternatively, cells were incubated with acetaldehyde, acetate, insulin, insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), or with a combination of EtOH plus insulin or IGF-I. Rates of protein synthesis or degradation were determined by 35S-methionine/cysteine incorporation into or release from cellular protein.
Results: A significant, 15% to 20%, decrease in basal protein synthesis was observed after 24 hr, but not at earlier time points, in response to 80 mM EtOH. Incubation of myocytes for 72 hr decreased synthesis in cells incubated with EtOH ranging between 60 and 120 mM. The ability of IGF-I or insulin to stimulate protein synthesis was impaired by 30% and 60%, respectively, in cells incubated with 80 mM EtOH for 72 hr. Exposure of cells to 200 μM acetaldehyde or 5 mM Na-acetate also decreased basal protein synthesis. In contrast, neither EtOH, acetaldehyde, nor acetate altered the basal rate of protein degradation. However, EtOH completely impaired the ability of insulin and IGF-I to inhibit proteolysis. Finally, EtOH did not impair IGF-I receptor autophosphorylation, but inhibited the ability of insulin to phosphorylate its own receptor. EtOH also did not alter the number of insulin or IGF-I receptors or the formation of insulin/IGF-I hybrid receptors.

Conclusions: We have demonstrated that alcohol can directly inhibit muscle protein synthesis under in vitro conditions. Neither EtOH nor its metabolites altered basal protein degradation, although EtOH did compromise the ability of both insulin and IGF-I to slow proteolysis. This impairment seems to be mediated by different defects in signal transduction.
Inhibition of muscle protein synthesis by alcohol is associated with modulation of eIF2B and eIF4E
Charles H. Lang, Duanqing Wu, Robert A. Frost, Leonard S. Jefferson, Scot R. Kimball, and Thomas C. Vary
Departments of Cellular and Molecular Physiology and Surgery, Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033
The present study examined potential mechanisms for the inhibition of protein synthesis in skeletal muscle after chronic alcohol consumption. Rats were maintained on an alcohol-containing diet for 14 wk; control animals were pair fed. Alcohol-induced myopathy was confirmed by a reduction in lean body mass as well as a decrease in the weight of the gastrocnemius and psoas muscles normalized for tibial length. No alcohol-induced decrease in total RNA content (an estimate of ribosomal RNA) was detected in any muscle examined, suggesting that alcohol reduced translational efficiency but not the capacity for protein synthesis. To identify mechanisms responsible for regulating translational efficiency, we analyzed several eukaryotic initiation factors (eIF). There was no difference in the muscle content of either total eIF2 or the amount of eIF2 in the phosphorylated form between alcohol-fed and control rats. Similarly, the relative amount of eIF2B in muscle was also not different. In contrast, alcohol decreased eIF2B activity in psoas (fast-twitch) but not in soleus or heart (slow-twitch) muscles. Alcohol feeding also dramatically influenced the distribution of eIF4E in the gastrocnemius (fast-twitch) muscle. Compared with control values, muscle from alcohol-fed rats demonstrated 1) an increased binding of the translational repressor 4E-binding protein 1 (4E-BP1) with eIF4E, 2) a decrease in the phosphorylated -form of 4E-BP1, and 3) a decrease in eIF4G associated with eIF4E. In summary, these data suggest that chronic alcohol consumption impairs translation initiation in muscle by altering multiple regulatory sites, including eIF2B activity and eIF4E availability.

Some people think the world stops when they are "on cycle" and you have to be super clean and carefull. Just carry on with what you like to do. I'm not gonna stop having fun on other substances just cause I'm injecting test in me.

I love alcohol, had some of the best times in my life drunk. But over doing it does make u feel like shit. I drink once a week on a sat night, low calorie mixers like vodka/coke, maybe couple shots, then plenty of water before bed. I never get wasted, just to the point of absolute confidence. Then i'm on the ladies :p

Columbo, So that study states that protein synthesis is decreased by 20% when alcohol is consumed for 24 hours, so if one were to drink for say 1 hour does protein synthesis drop by 1.2% LOL

Which bodybuilders ever drink for that long anyways? So it is inapplicable to any of us.

I dont think social drinks from time to time is going to effect protein synthesis one bit according to those studies.

I drink alcohol if the occsion calls for it. Only a couple usually vodka and soda water or shots of vodka. It makes you more sociable, confident and enjoy yourself more oh and it makes you more attractive to the ladies LOL (at least in your head)

I dont usually eat solid food before during or after I drink, I have a protein shake before I head out and drink lots of water before I go to bed.

Live a little, the key is moderation as with everything

I try to keep my consumption to a minimum.I party all around the world so sometimes I do have a drink or two.

I love alcohol, had some of the best times in my life drunk. But over doing it does make u feel like shit. I drink once a week on a sat night, low calorie mixers like vodka/coke, maybe couple shots, then plenty of water before bed. I never get wasted, just to the point of absolute confidence. Then i'm on the ladies :p

You said it brother! I dont know how some of you guys unwind sometimes. Some of you guys must be real fun to hang out and shoot the breeze with, lol. Of course over doing is counterproductive but a man has to enjoy himself here and there.

Some people think the world stops when they are "on cycle" and you have to be super clean and carefull. Just carry on with what you like to do. I'm not gonna stop having fun on other substances just cause I'm injecting test in me.

Its meant to cause cation bro.

Here's my 2 cc. I used to drink heavily up to 5 yrs ago when I decided to become serious about this lifestyle; I consider myself a Power/Bodybuilder. I also used to smoke cigs, 1-2 packs per day. Gents, this is a LIFESTYLE & @ some point you have to decide how dedicated/serious you really are. It's 1 thing to have a glass of red wine which is good for the heart, but shots w/ the guys will hamper gains, ESPECIALLY as we get older. I'm 40 & trust me, the gains are harder, even w/ juice. Sorry for the long post.

Columbo, So that study states that protein synthesis is decreased by 20% when alcohol is consumed for 24 hours, so if one were to drink for say 1 hour does protein synthesis drop by 1.2% LOL

Which bodybuilders ever drink for that long anyways? So it is inapplicable to any of us.

I dont think social drinks from time to time is going to effect protein synthesis one bit according to those studies.

I drink alcohol if the occsion calls for it. Only a couple usually vodka and soda water or shots of vodka. It makes you more sociable, confident and enjoy yourself more oh and it makes you more attractive to the ladies LOL (at least in your head)

I dont usually eat solid food before during or after I drink, I have a protein shake before I head out and drink lots of water before I go to bed.

Live a little, the key is moderation as with everything

Bro dont lie to me , i lived in Australia for 2 years and i know you Aussies love your grog and are well able to drink for 24hrs straight.....you are probably knocking back a stubby of VB right now !:D

All joking aside...it was just info that i had read elsewhere and thought it was worth posting up:)

Top Bottom