Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

best way to increase max bench?

gimme some good exercises to strengthen my triceps right now i do v-bar pressdown incline/flat skullcrusher, one arm extensions

but what are like heavy board presses and lockouts

drop the iso crap
skulls are very good
close grip and reverse grip benches are also excellent
CG declines

lockouts you can do in a power rack sets the pins high so that you have at least a 3 inch range of motion..get under the bar and use a medium grip and apply pressure until the bar comess off teh pins..ten let it fall back down on the pins..reset do another rep..do these up to a 3 or 5 RM..also do these near the end of your routine

pushdown are fine but they shouldnt be your bread and butter

I Honestly don't think lockouts are needed for the raw bencher. I haven't done any lockout work since I started training, and my bench continues to rise at a fairly rapid rate, and I bench with a pretty long ROM, 14inch grip.

Most people will have more problem at the bottom and sticking point at the middle than at the top where you have good leverage.

Lockout work is a good way to fry yourself and pickup injuries IMO :)
Top end strength never really transfers down to the bottom, but bottom end strength definitely transfers over to the top

for me - heavy eccentrics at or 10% above your 1RM (keep the volume low), ISO work at the sticking point for strain. The difference between your max bench press and your concentric only bench press (5 sec pause off pins for example) - If your bench is 12% larger or more then you would want to focus on ISO. If your bench is less than 12% greater, then you do eccentrics

Then explosive work for increasing force output, high rep work for muscle mass.
Then lots of rear delt work, lats, lower and mid traps, rotor cuff work - if these are weak, then they will hold back your strength potential, plus you will get injured and pickup shoulder pain etc

anyway this article details some of the stuff that will help you bench more. I personally don't think its a good idea to do all of these in a week like it is in this program unless your a freak and on gear :)

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=CE07B06AB5844C5EFED42CC46823CF69.titan?id=539885

Wnt2bebeast has it nailed. I like to use the green bands and hang bar from the top for lockouts.

lockouts are top end strength of course they wont help you at the bottom :rolleyes: doesnt do any good if you can get the weight off your chest but cant push it further..if your locking out 500 and you bench 315 then you are doing them wrong and injury may occur

The entire range of the bench needs to be trained whether you bench raw or in a shirt!!!!!!!

if you wanna bench big i would look more at teh metal militia guys not t-mag..
just my .02

donsj said:
Wnt2bebeast has it nailed. I like to use the green bands and hang bar from the top for lockouts.

these are called reverse bench. fun exercise because it lets you throw up a shit ton o' weight. the weight really gets loaded on at the top of the lift. i like to use the purple (light) jumpstretch bands and do flat bench. did that my last bench day. worked up to 315x1

anybody got a description of tate presses? i have yet to figure these out.

Top Bottom