Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Best set and reps for optimum hypertrophy ?

MattP51

I just read a book called Fundamentals of weight training by David Sadler (2010) and he states that anywhere from 1-3 sets of 8-12 reps (with 90 sec rest) is best for optimal hypertrophy (lifting specifically for size gain)

Can I really get away with doing 1 set and expect my best size gains? If so , I am all over it. I'd love to be able to just do one set , unlike the 5-6 sets I usually do.

Does anyone know or have documentation on this ?

Thanks,
Matt

You can do this and gain size but you have to work at it too. If you decide on 1 set of say 10 reps then that 1 set better take all the juice you have for that muscle group. This is kind of workout is a simple low volume high intensity program and it does work.
However you really need to do an excellent warm up because this kind of training put tremendous stress on your body.
Overall its not that much duff then the stand by 5x5 routine. This is just greater intensity.
Like all routeins it wont last forever tho. In fact with this kind of stress you may find that you get stale faster.
Also you must eat (a hell of a lot) on this kind of program or it just wont work at its full potential.

Top Bottom