Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Behind Neck Lat Pull-Downs

i love behind the neck i feel such a better pinch and my back is much more sore and i think it takes more of your biceps out of the lift...

liftingfreak1983 said:
i love behind the neck i feel such a better pinch and my back is much more sore and i think it takes more of your biceps out of the lift...

its an individual choice, but as for your observation of the biceps, the arm is moving exactly the same as if your head is in front or behind the bar (if your form is correct) same for the "pinch".

I recall from Delvier's book (don't have it in front of me) that in front will make the back thicker, behind will make it wider (wings).

I do behind the heads and the seat is forward such that I feel no stress at all in my shoulders. It is the 2x10 exercise for my back as part of my 5x5 routine.

Synpax said:
I recall from Delvier's book (don't have it in front of me) that in front will make the back thicker, behind will make it wider (wings).

back "thickness" has to do with the degree of scapular retraction you have in the motion (ie. low rows, cable rows, high rows).

vertical pulls will involve the lats to a great degree. the tradeoff for behind the neck, though slightly more vertical, if the fact that you place your shoulder in a unnatural position, and you create what is called "forward head". this stretches the trapezius a bit, combine that with contracting all those muscles (including trapezius) and you have a contorted unnatural movement. again its all about form and one's body, but for the most part, you can get the same motion whether your head is tilted back slightly or shot forward extremely. as a side note: most people when doing behind the neck work, cant go as heavy because their form breaks down so rapidly. the "crunch" begins to take hold as their body compensates and brings the serratus anterior and abdominals into the mix and their shoulders begin to internally rotate. just watch someone who isnt very strong do a behind the neck pullup and you'll see all of this illustrated. though this happens in the front as well, its much less likely because you are in a better leverage position and can recruit your mid lower trapezius more readily. shoulder rotation is neutral and you focus on "pulling the elbows back slightly" instead of down.

its all a choice, but more often than not, its easier to learn something mechanically simple than to make something elaborate and troubleshoot the deviations along the way.

I like to use behind the neck as my first 'warmup exercise', then I switch to front for heavier sets.

Top Bottom