Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone got a nice trick to cooking hard boiled eggs?

whateverdude

Whenever I cook a batch of say 6 eggs, I average breaking about 2 out of the 6 every time because the damn water breaks them for some reason. Anyone have some sort of way you cook them that you almost never break the eggs and they come out good?

Put the eggs in a pot of cold water. Heat til it reaches boiling, then turn off the heat. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for about 15-20 minutes. Rinse with cold water. Works great, no icky green yolks.

Sorry to say this but your guy's reasoning behind why the "green" color is present, is wrong. The green color is a result of cooking the eggs too long. The greenish color is produced by the formation of ferrous sulfide as hydrogen sulfide in the white. It combines with the iron in the yolk. Once this green color forms, it is irreversible. There is nothing you can do to get rid of it. BUT, to keep the green color at a minimum after it has formed, IMMERSE THE COOKED EGGS IN COLD WATER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. This will reduce the amount of Hydrogen sulfide gas evolved by the egg white that diffuses toward the egg yolk. Old eggs will tend to form this green color quicker than newer eggs.

As for there not being any green color in Keiko's eggs, she simply has not cooked them long enough to form it.

To help in the prevention of the eggs from cracking, you can make a very small hole at the larger end of the shell before cooking. The small amount of water that seeps through while cooking helps separate the membranes. This will also make it easier to peel (always peel from the larger end where the air sac is). The water in which the eggs are cooked should cover them by about an inch.

Whether you start by slipping the eggs in cold or hot water doesn't matter, just DO NOT OVERCOOK THEM.:)

MR. BMJ

Go to one of those fancy kitchen, cooking places and buy two items.

1 - egg timer (it's egg shaped and looks like glass) that you drop into the pot of water, it will tell you soft, med or hard

2 - hole puncher for eggs, it makes a tiny like needle hole into the egg - helps with breakage

Try places like, william sonoma, lecters, cooking.com, etc.

Whoa sweet info on the green, never had that happen to my eggs, but once I cooked up all this Sliced Roast Beef sandwich meat, and this shit had metalic green on it. I was wondering what it was, ate a bit of it, but didn't eat the ones heavily covered in it.

Just kept thinking that shit can't be good to eat.

Top Bottom