Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

another question about powerlifting WSB style

Exodus

High End Bro
Platinum
speed days.............. you do box squat for squat, and bench press for bench press but you dont pause.

what if you did floor press and paused for sec, and then exploded back up for 2 reps instead of 3.

can anyone see why that wouldnt work??? becuase my floor press rom is the exact same as my reg bench rom. the bar is touching my shirt on floor pressing???

im curious to see what everyone says, please also provide reasons for your opinions as well.

X

i heard of jim from elitfts doijng just that.
i was thinking of doing it, by my floor press is equivalent to my 1 or 2 board.

i would def. love to hear someone else chime in.

can you post a link or tell me which article???

X

go to elitefts.com and do a search on the subject. You should find that they only do bench with a full range of motion on speed days. Speed bench is done very fast, so if you were to do this on floor press you would break your arms. They rotate chains, bands and straight weight. The idea behind speed bench is that you are using a maxiumum force agains a light weight. Ofr example if you were a 400lbs bencher you would use aprox 50% of your max. around 200lbs. you then do three reps as fast as posible with good form You are using 400lbs of presure again 200lbs. The reason for three reps originaly came from 1 rep competion takes about as long as 3 explosive reps. THis is just touching on the subject, there is a lot more science to it. It is an unbelievable way to train if you want to get strong. Nothing is close to it!
hope this helps

princeton said:
go to elitefts.com and do a search on the subject. You should find that they only do bench with a full range of motion on speed days. Speed bench is done very fast, so if you were to do this on floor press you would break your arms. They rotate chains, bands and straight weight. The idea behind speed bench is that you are using a maxiumum force agains a light weight. Ofr example if you were a 400lbs bencher you would use aprox 50% of your max. around 200lbs. you then do three reps as fast as posible with good form You are using 400lbs of presure again 200lbs. The reason for three reps originaly came from 1 rep competion takes about as long as 3 explosive reps. THis is just touching on the subject, there is a lot more science to it. It is an unbelievable way to train if you want to get strong. Nothing is close to it!
hope this helps

its ok your new here. ive been training wsb for a while now, this is my 2nd time in 2 years doing it, i understand everything you posted. i already knew that.

you didnt read my first post though, i ask could you switch the reps down to 2 and work with a pause doing floor presses, instead of doing 3 fast touch and go reps with standard bench.

you wont break your elbows, anymore than you will break your tailbone box squatting, you slow the decent down to get on the box, you would do the same if you were to use floor presses.

anybody else have any reasons, why this would be ineffective, it sounds to me like the exact same as box squatting.

X

i believe its akin to reactive plyometrics. ie bounding. you are developing speed and explosiveness WITH your stretch reflex. just like a pitcher wouldnt pause at the back of his throw, you wouldnt pause at the bottom of the press. i understand the stretch reflex can be held for 1-4 seconds (depending on the lifter) but the key is to train your nervous system to "fire' off. it seems to me that if you were doing a floor press, it would be more starting strength instead of explosive strength.

just my thoughts.

bignate73 said:
i believe its akin to reactive plyometrics. ie bounding. you are developing speed and explosiveness WITH your stretch reflex. just like a pitcher wouldnt pause at the back of his throw, you wouldnt pause at the bottom of the press. i understand the stretch reflex can be held for 1-4 seconds (depending on the lifter) but the key is to train your nervous system to "fire' off. it seems to me that if you were doing a floor press, it would be more starting strength instead of explosive strength.

just my thoughts.

ok............ now read that paragraph you just wrote again, and tell me what good does box squatting do??? shouldnt then i do speed squats with no box???

im not being rude nate, just looking for answers.

X

I do my speed work with a pause, and my speed seems to be progressing much better now. I don't care how fast you are, if you have a mongo case of forearm tendonitis, you aren't going to bench much, and not for long (without "help"). I pause on my sternum and explode up. My arms/elbow don't ache, my shoulder doesn't bother me, and speed is even better now that I don't have to cringe with every rep.

....and no, I wasn't using too much weight. That up and down fast stuff hurt with just the bar in my hands.

my bad Exodus, I just figured that out when I read some of your other post. One reason I think you dont want to this instead of bench is because of the speed aspect. The faster you go down the faster you go up. I understand what youre saying about if you do it for squats why can you for bench. I think floor press wuold not benifit you as much as reg bench
you could probably post this question on their Q&A. THe could really tell you why

i agree with you there. but with box squats arent you setting the box just below parallel? and exploding through it. what you are proposing is taking 75% of your ROM and working through that. its explosive partials.

im not saying there is one way to skin a cat, just make sure you are using the right thing for YOU. i say if it helps you make progress go for it!

for ME. i prefer to work full ROM explosively and do my partial movements on Max effort day. since i tend to have trouble out of the bottom of every motion, its imperative that i work explosively out of the bottom. but, if you are finding your trouble midway or higher up, maybe some explosiveness is in order.

just keep in mind F=m/a if the mass is low, then you need alot of acceleration to develop force, your overall ability to develop speed could be hindered with the shorter range of motion.

try it out a few times and see how it helps you.

Top Bottom