Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A few drinks ( vodka / club soda ) on keto diet?

I hate to throw a spanner in the works (and I am truly happy to be proven wrong), but alcohol IS NOT A SUGAR. Vodka may be made FROM sugar but I will repeat that ethanol (no matter what it is made from) is NOT a sugar. To say ethanol is a sugar is like saying eating cattle is like eating grass! This doesn't mean it's OK to drink on a keto diet. In essence, ethanol calories cannot be stored as energy (carbs OR fat). It has to be burned off. So if you drink pure ethanol (or nearly pure such as quality vodka) then your body MUST burn those ethanol calories before it can do anything else. Basically the ethanol will cause any other food you eat to be stored as fat (because it has to burn the ethanol before it can use carbs/proteins/fats). Ethanol is not good for you (DUH). But if you're gonna inflict this stuff on yourself then I suggest you do it on a totally empty stomach and don't eat anything for several hours after your last drink. This may not be good for your long term health, but it will help you with short term fat loss.

Ms, thanks for the information. You and Mr x seem to know your stuff. Its nice to have such knowlegable folks on this board. Just curious, are you a competitive bodybuilder? Are you from the northeast?

If you have taken organic chemistry you that alcohol does break down into sugar. Though your liver has to add molecules to the alcohol ( thus somewhat reversing the fermentation process) for this to take place. It is true that your body must burn alcohol before it can burn anything else due to the fact the sugar created form the alcohol is very unstable and holds little energy. I did do some looking into if vodka will bring you out of keto and the answer is no because the sugar made from the alcohol is so useless that it will be used up very quickly. Thus the body needs to remain in keto for a contant supply of energy.

One more thing when I said alcohol is a strong carb it was a bit of an exaggeration. Sorry about that

Hey guys if you have any kind of questions on the Atkins Diet then go to the Atkins web site. It answers most of these questions. As for vodka, according to my trusty Atkins book it o.k. to have but Rum on the other hand being made from SUGARCANE is not ok. Oh well just check it out and it should answer any questions you have.:D

I just ran "rum" 90 proof, 1 ounce through 3 independant nutritional databases. They all came back with ZERO carbs, zero protein and zero fat, and around 75 cals. I don't know where Atkins got their info from, but the source of the sugar used in fermentation is completley irrelevant.
I'm also not sure what BigAndy's teacher meant by "lowers ketone levels"? Perhaps you could clarify this in you next class? In non-diabetic males alcohol inhibits both gluconeogenesis and glucose uptake (the picture is slightly diff for women). If taken on an empty stomach with fasting glucose levels it will therefore hasten descent into ketosis for most people. More likely the alcohol causes a greater requirement for ketones as fuel so that something like a ketostix will show reduced ketone EXCRETION in the short term. Spirits are also strong diuretics which can also reduce the reading on a keto strip.

Top Bottom