Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5x5-Maxed Out With Weighted Dips, Now What??

tzan

My tricep day looks like:
Weighted Dips 5x5
Closegrip 2x10-12
Incline Skulls 2x10-12

The problem is my gym only has db's that go up to 135lbs. Yesterday I used 135lbs for my weighted dips and did all 5 sets sucsessfully. I don't know what would be the best thing for me to do next week. At first I was thinking about switching it so closegrip is my 5x5 and dips are my auxillary, but I really prefer dips over closegrip and don't want to change it. Instead of upping the weight should I just up the reps(next week do 135X6)? If so should I still do 5 sets or drop the sets down if I'm going to be upping the reps? It really sucks.

I know that the plates are way more uncomfortable than the DBs to attach to a dip belt but you could use those if you still wanted to add weight to the dips and keep it at 5x5...

Your idea of switching the CGBP and the dips sounds good..and might be worth a try...do the CGBP for the 5x5 and then try and rep out 135 with the dips afterwards..

Why don't you like doing the Close grip before dips?

1. DO CLOSE-GRIP FIRST. This is where you will get huge arms.
2. you can switch to plates or do weighted/seated dips with plates. I love the weighted/seated dips, rep out with 2 100lb plates on my lap. Will be killing these in a couple of hours, CAN'T WAIT.

Try reducing rest time by 10-15 seconds between sets. Then reduce again if & when you get 5 x 5.

Switch up your rep cadence - go for 3 second negative on each rep.

Thanks for the replies. A lot of good suggestions. I like going heavier on dips rather than closegrips because I feel that its harder to keep a strict form on closegrips(my elbows tend to flare out when going heavy). Besides I really like the pump I get from doing closegrip with more reps. Eventhough it may be akward at first, I think I'll switch over and start using the plates. I use the plates for weighted pullups, but I'm only talking like 35lbs. Hope I don't bite it when trying to balance 135lbs+.

I am quite impressed with your tricep dip poundages. Thats awesome tricep strength bro.

There were several good suggestions from previous posts and don`t think I could add or expand on any of them. IMHO.....if your at 135 for 5 reps and you think you can get 6 reps, don`t stop at 5 just because your at 5 because your doing the 5 x 5. Go for that 6th rep and do 5 x 6 or 4 x 6. There is always room for flexibilty, imagination and exploration. You may even start a new size / strength training principal called 4 x 6 !!!

Or....get an old wire clothes hanger and bend it and shape it and kinda make a letter S hook type thingy and hang a 5 or 10 lb. plate or dumbell from the 135 pounder with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom