Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

21yr old noob with ED, lethargy - test normal, SHBG high- ideas?

madcapman

Morning and greetings from South Africa,
I am a long time lurker who is coming out of the shadows for some hormone advice. I have the symptoms of low test, but my blood tests say I’m fine…

Background:
21 years old, 6’2, 73kg/160 lb
+-1 year gym experience, little weight gain and not very much progress (my fault; not eating well and not training consistently. This has greatly improved over the last 3 months.)
Maxes (all recent):
Squat: 95kgX5
Bench: 75kgX5
Dead: 120kgX5
Bodyweight: 63kg – 76kg in a year (give or take) but lost 3kg over the last two weeks due to not eating (moved out of home, has been a nightmare.)

I know I'm weak and scrawny, I'm working on that bit :)

Blood results (all done at my request, and my doc only wanted me to do these):
Original values are in nmol/L or pmol/L, converted using an online converter.
Total test: 23.93 nmol/L = 689.62 ng/dL
Free test: 421 pmol/L = 12.14 ng/dL (which is 1.76% of total test)
SHBG: 47.4 nmol/L
S-TSH: 2.30 mIU/L

Reason for tests:
Very low libido, no interest in sex-related matters, no morning wood for 8 weeks solid (now 11 weeks) and very few over the previous 3 months. I went from being able to have 4 rounds in an afternoon with my GF (+- 2 years ago) to being physically unable to get it up for days at a time.

We currently have sex around twice per month, which is no fun for me and driving her mad (we share a bed at night.)
I have very little body hair (average pubic hair, but very little on my arms and legs, none (at all) on my chest and back and I have a little moustache and chin hair but nowhere near a beard. It grows slowly (I shave about twice per week to keep neat) and to a max length of +-1cm (0.4 inches.) I come from a hairy family, and stand out in terms of hair (the other guys started shaving at 13.)

I remember times when I had plenty of energy with crappy eating, doing as I like and 4 hrs sleep. Now I wake up tired after 8 hours sleep, 4 solid meals and looking after myself. It's like I have constant fog in my head (read the term somewhere, perfect description.)

Essential question:
My total test is fine, my free test is lower than 2% but I don’t think it’s that low, and my SHGB is far too high (almost out of range, according to lab ranges; their upper flag is 48 nmol/L.) What are the chances that this is a hormone problem, and if it is, what is it likely to be?
I know I need to get an estradiol (E2) test done and most likely some others (prolactin for one.) Which should I?

My doc first said I was depressed (this is theoretically possible, as I’m bipolar, but I’m not that low. I also haven’t had this sort of libido/ED problem before, depressed or not. I am on Lamotrigine (brand name Lamictal) and have been on a list of others including lithium carbonate, if this rings any bells (all the research I have done says that this isn't the problem, but I’m asking anyway.) Now he says everything “must be fine, as your bloods were perfectly normal”.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated. I don’t know what my options are right now, but will get hold of an endocrinologist (I have looked at 3 online thus far) if you guys think this is worth taking up. I have read scary things about docs who say things like “you have test of 300, so it's not low and as such your ED is all in your head” kind of things. I frankly don’t know what to ask.

Much appreciated,
madcap

I take it no answer means I did something I shouldn't. Would someone tell me what I did? Too much info? Missing something required?

I'm not trolling, in case anyone thought that...

Could I have a little advice as to what I should check next? If the answer is "stfu go bother someone else", if someone would say it it would help.

Regards,
madcap

You kind of said it your self Ed is all in your head, it could be an estrogen problem to high can caz no libido see if you can get tested for it until then wait or you can maybe look into some OTC supps like hcgen or some other test booster to help out ur libido I'm not as experienced with bloods as some of these guys on here in the mean time relax stop over thinking it and just enjoy life at 21

You kind of said it your self Ed is all in your head, it could be an estrogen problem to high can caz no libido see if you can get tested for it until then wait or you can maybe look into some OTC supps like hcgen or some other test booster to help out ur libido I'm not as experienced with bloods as some of these guys on here in the mean time relax stop over thinking it and just enjoy life at 21

That's not really good advice man. In all honesty if I were seeking help the last thing I want to hear is relax stop over thinking it . 21 is when you should be happy horny and having a blast . Hormones raging. I would suggest you have your estrogen checked but having a high shbg could be part of the problem. I think lowering estrogen also lowers shbg to an extent. So maybe you have high estrogen. I am no product pimp but unleashed does a pretty good job at improving mood sex drive and lowering shbg. It's cheap too.

I was just saying there is no point stressing over it and relax and sort it out not ur fine relax lol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EliteFitness

Much appreciated, I guess the next thing to do is check my estrogen.

As for it being all mental, I'm assuming there is a mental aspect (and not being confident doesn't exactly help) but that wouldn't explain why it started in the first place. I'm also assuming there is something biologically wrong (no bad sexual experiences or anything like that) and that the mental side is making it worse.

I'm not losing much sleep over it, and life carries on as usual so it's more an irritation than the end of the world (not that it's nice, but I can live with it.)

I will get the bloods done when I can and will post them if they're interesting. Who would be good to PM about the bloods specifically?

Thanks for replying :)

madcap

Hi madcapman

Did you get Luetinising Hormone and/or Follicle Stimulating Hormone tested by any chance?

From what I can deduce form your results...

1. Your symptoms are clearly indicative of hypogonadism, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have got low testosterone.
2. Total testosterone is well within normal range, however, for your age of 21 it's more "lowish normal" rather than ideal or a median figure.
3. Free testosterone is again just within normal range, but for your age is pretty low. A 21 year old should be 14 and upwards with no symptoms of low testosterone.
4. SHBG is clearly too high, and this would - if we had an E2 reading - usually be in lign with an elevated oestrogen level.

Basically, guidelines from the Endochrine Society state that men who experience low testosterone level symptoms with a free or bioavailable level of less than 13 nmols/dl, may be candidates for replacement therapy.
It does look like your symptoms and the high SHBG combined with low Free T, could point toward high oestrogen. Maybe something as simple as Aromasin, or Arimidex would help. You could also try Forma Stanzol to control E2, it works wonders for me. I do recommend getting a retest that includes E2, prolactin, LH, and FSH, since these would shed more light on your symptoms.

I certainly think your presentation deserves more investigation by your doctor.

Let us know how you intend to proceed please.

Craig

Did they check your thyroid levels as well?

Top Bottom