Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What is different in mashed potatoes?

Ylldy

I really like mashed potatos, and I ask myself ifthey are fine to eat. I see here many guys will eat potatoes, sowould mashed potatoes be any different? After all – I just use thesame potatoes to cook these mashed potatoes...

There are two major factors to keep in mind. First of all, the more cooked the potatoes, the higher their glycemic index. Oddly, with both the potatoes and the pasta, the less cooked they are, the less glycemic they are. Therefore, you need to find a very fine balance between cooking them just right, and not overcooking them. That is the reason why the Italians usually cook their pasta al-dente - just a bit undercooked.

Secondly, most people add lots of stuff to the potatoes when they cook the mashed potatoes - milk, salt....condiments.

If you are making home made mashed potatoes that are literally just mashed potatoes - its the exact same thing as potatoes.

However, most store bought mashed potatoes are loaded with butter, cream etc.
It's not the potatoes that make the dish unhealthy, it's all the fat and calories from the added condiments.

I often make my own sort of 'mock crab cakes' with potatoes. I mash together 2 whole eggs, oatmeal, a baked potato and 2 cans of tuna. I form it into patties and then pan fry it. Absolutely delicious!

Take a potato and mash it = fine. BUT what many can do is add milk, cream and butter. Some add more salt. That might be an issue for those looking to get lean.

This is the watch out......all the added shit to it. If you simply take potatoes or sweet potatoes and mash, maybe add a little salt then no worries. Just don't put garbage on them.

I assumed what you say about the additives, but what Lev says is quite surprising to me - I did not know that good can become more glycemic just like that!

Is it safe to eat a raw potato then?

I assumed what you say about the additives, but what Lev says is quite surprising to me - I did not know that good can become more glycemic just like that!

Is it safe to eat a raw potato then?
don't eat a raw regular potato

sweet potatoes are safe to eat raw though

The glycemic index really doesn't matter that much.

The glycemic index is recorded based on values when you eat that food by itself. No one would just eat mashed potatoes. They would eat it as part of a meal with a lean protein source, salad etc.

When you add fibre and protein to a food, it greatly slows the digestion time and lowers the glycemic index.

Top Bottom