Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tired after eating High carb meals.

Zyglamail said:
Your choice of carbs may also have a huge impact on it as well. Carbs that are high on the glycemic index will be digested MUCH faster and are more likely to cause this type of response.

Exactly, pasta (frankd metioned) is called sleepy food. The high gylcemic index of it causes a surge of l-tryptophan across the blood brain barrier which causes extreme drowsiness. Some other foods have the same tendency to do this but not as severly as pasta.

Great question bro, I was going to ask it myself. After my post workout shake, I always pass out. All it has is 70 grams of dextrose and 60 grams of protein. Not even ALA helped but now i'll try to lower the sugar.

Some info on the glycemic index:

Beans
baby lima 32
baked 43
black 30
brown 38
butter 31
chickpeas 33
kidney 27
lentil 30
navy 38
pinto 42
red lentils 27
split peas 32
soy 18

Breads
bagel 72
croissant 67
Kaiser roll 73
pita 57
pumpernickel 49
rye 64
rye, dark 76
rye, whole 50
white 72
whole wheat 72
waffles 76

Cereals
All Bran 44
Bran Chex 58
Cheerios 74
Corn Bran 75
Corn Chex 83
Cornflakes 83
Cream of Wheat 66
Crispix 87
Frosted Flakes 55
Grapenuts 67
Grapenuts Flakes 80
Life 66
Muesli 60
NutriGrain 66
Oatmeal 49
Oatmeal 1 min 66
Puffed Wheat 74
Puffed Rice 90
Rice Bran 19
Rice Chex 89
Rice Krispies 82
Shredded Wheat 69
Special K 54
Swiss Muesli 60
Team 82
Total 76
Cookies
Graham crackers 74
oatmeal 55
shortbread 64
Vanilla Wafers 77

Crackers
Kavli Norwegian 71
rice cakes 82
rye 63
saltine 72
stoned wheat thins 67
water crackers 78

Desserts
angel Food Cake 67
banana bread 47
blueberry muffin 59
bran muffin 60
Danish 59
fruit bread 47
pound cake 54
sponge cake 46

Fruit
apple 38
apricot, canned 64
apricot, dried 30
apricot jam 55
banana 62
banana, unripe 30
canteloupe 65
cherries 22
dates, dried 103
fruit cocktail 55
grapefruit 25
grapes 43
kiwi 52
mango 55
orange 43
papaya 58
peach 42
pear 36
pineapple 66
plum 24
raisins 64
strawberries 32
strawberry jam 51
watermelon 72

Grains
barley 22
brown rice 59
buckwheat 54
bulger 47
chickpeas 36
cornmeal 68
couscous 65
hominy 40
millet 75
rice, instant 91
rice, parboiled 47
rye 34
sweet corn 55
wheat, whole 41
white rice 88
wh. rice, high amylose 59

Juices
agave nector11
apple 41
grapefruit 48
orange 55
pineapple 46

Milk Products
chocolate milk 34
ice cream 50
milk 34
pudding43
soy milk 31
yogurt 38

Pasta
brown rice pasta 92
gnocchi 68
linguine, durum 50
macaroni 46
macaroni & cheese 64
spaghetti 40
spag. prot. enrich. 28
vermicelli 35
vermicelli, rice 58

Sweets
honey 58
jelly beans 80
Life Savers 70
M&M's Choc. Peanut 33
Skittles 70
Snickers 41

TraxZBT said:
Great question bro, I was going to ask it myself. After my post workout shake, I always pass out. All it has is 70 grams of dextrose and 60 grams of protein. Not even ALA helped but now i'll try to lower the sugar.

You're tired because you just busted your ass in the gym -- don't mess up your post-workout shake...

Post-workout is the only time you actually do want to saturate yourself with carbs. Just make sure they're high GI (100) (dextrose, maltodextrin) and get about .8 gr/kg of carbs; .4 gr/kg protein and no fat in your post-workout.

THeMaCHinE said:

You're tired because you just busted your ass in the gym -- don't mess up your post-workout shake...

Post-workout is the only time you actually do want to saturate yourself with carbs. Just make sure they're high GI (100) (dextrose, maltodextrin) and get about .8 gr/kg of carbs; .4 gr/kg protein and no fat in your post-workout.

Yes, it could be that also. It's weird the feeling I get though right after I drink the shake. First I start feeling very warm, then develop this feeling like I just ate something my body can't handle. 10 minutes later I start getting tingly. I don't know whether my own insulin is messed up or not but all I can say to describe the feeling is... weird. I feel really weird and it's always after I drink that bloody shake :) Of course i'm still going to drink my post workout shakes just wondering what the hell is going on in my body to give me that feeling.

There is a carb/insulin/fatigue connection as Zyg pointed out, but I think it has more to do with tryptophan than glucose. The glucose levels are fairly tightly regulated to ensure that the brain takes precedence over muscle and fat when it comes to glucose uptake.

Tryptophan is the precursor amino acid for serotonin, which induces sleepiness. Tryptophan competes with other large neutral amino acids for transport across the blood brain barrier. The high insulin levels after a carb meal transport amino acids as well as glucose into muscles. It turns out that amino acids other than tryptophan are preferentially transported into muscle. This leaves fewer amino acids to compete with tryptophan for transport into the brain. The higher brain levels of tryptophan lead to higher serotonin production, ultimately causing sleepiness.

Try eating meals with a higher protein to carb ratio. The extra amino acids will compete with the tryptophan in accessing the brain, leading to lower serotonin and less fatigue.

Thanks to all who responded. Each post made alot of sense.

Thanks for the tip on the green tea, I'll give that a shot.

The Machine- Thanks for the gylcemic index, i was going to ask about that later :)

No problem. That's why these boards RULE ALL:idea:

There is always someone who has a lil tip for ya to help ya out.
I've gotten so much out of this site I decided to join the party. Now I'm addicted.

Scaggs

Top Bottom