Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bread vs. Whole wheat pasta

Based on the GI, which is rates carbohydrate foods on how quickly blood sugar / glucose levels increase in the 2 - 3 hours after eating as the carbs are converted into glucose. Whole wheat pasta is FAR better then bread, especially white. The GI of white bread is 100, where protein enriched pasta is a GI of 38

"Whole wheat" bread is basically made with unbleached all purpose flour. You need to look for something that says "stone ground" (i.e., includes all parts of the wheat). So, remember to check your ingredients.

Most whole wheat breads also have a significant amount of white flour in them.

I don't have access to a lot of WW pasta here (I'm on a budget so have to make due without lots of trips to a natural food store). I imagine it tends to be better than the bread, though. So many breads add all purpose (or just brown flour) because they have a higher gluten (rising) content.

~2Shy, still perfecting the perfect homemade healthy bread recipe

Ok...so I'm gonna cruise oin out to the organic store here shortly....should I get a 100% organic bread (no oils), maybe rye or spelt or should I get some whole grain pasta....? THinking the pasta has tooooo many carbs to fill your tank while a sandwhich usually suffices......let me hear your thoughts....what do you guys use as carb sources?

whole wheat, protein enriched pasta has about 12-15g carbs per serving, 8 of which are fiber, netting 4-7g carbs...

Again, my choice is WW pasta, though if you get bread w/o HFCS, you'll be in tall cotton. Heck, Jay Cutler used to eat a loaf or two a day :p

So, why would you chose WW pasta over protein enriched? Or, are you saying you wouldn't......I think spelt bread has no Hydrg......I'll look

JKurz1, I've been experimenting with making my own whole grain bread, so I have counts for the flours on a lot of these (just the flour, not anything else put into the bread). I'll give these in cup measurements since the bread will probably have at least 1 cup of a different flour (if multigrain, maybe only 1/3 a cup -- you try for a 3:1 ratio of wheat flour to others (because of gluten). I suppose they could add in wheat gluten and up the amount of the other flours ....

Spelt = 460 Cal, 4g Fat, 88g CHO, 8g fiber, 16g Protein
Oat 1 Cup = 303 Cal, 6g Fat, 48g CHO, 9g fiber, 12g Protein
Wheat Bran = 120 Cal, 2g Fat, 40g CHO, 24g Fiber, 8g Protein
Rye = 415 Cal, 3g Fat, 88g CHO, 29g Fiber, 18g Protein
Buckwheat = 402 Cal, 4g Fat, 85g CHO, 12G Fiber, 15g Protein
Steel Cut Oats = 560 Cal, 10g Fat, 108g CHO, 16g Fiber, 24g Protein

I don't have the GIs on these flours handy. Remember that what you get in 1 slice will be significantly less. You can figure on the 1/3 to 1 cup of a flour (other than wheat) per loaf, so divide by number of slices.

Thought this might help you decide on type of bread (if you want bread).

still dont know what to do...guess I might go with the good ol sweet pot. and yam mix.............and f the bread and pasta.......what, about 8grams each before cooking?

Top Bottom