Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New at supplements - Need Opinions

BoDEAN

I'm in the process of starting to work out.
I am only 140lbs, and 5'11. I am looking to put on some mass.
My questions are:

Is GNC the best place to buy supplements? If not, does anyone recommend any online websites with competive prices?

Creatine: Will this aid me in what I want to accomplish? I would like to slightly increase my muscle mass but mostly would like to tone up and gain more muscle definition

Protein supplements: I am trying to get around 250-300 grams of protein a day. Any suggestions?

Good/Clean Calories: Would like to achieve 2000-2800 calories a day. Any supplements that can help aid/assist this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
don't buy at gnc-goto the vitamin shoppe or musclemag
do take creatine-you'll get heavier and stronger
don't use protein supps-eat real food like red meat instead

i do agree with diamond except for the part where he mentions dont take supplemental protein. they are definately good for to provide you with high quality easily digestible protien that makes it convinient to up your protein intake throughout the day. do eat red meat though. mmmmm as for online sites. this site is great bro. www.dpsnutrition.com. for example, from next nutrition they have big whey protein. 25 pounds for only 99 dollars. all there shit is cheap. all brand name stuff and at least 40 percent cheaper than gnc. plus delivery time is fast as it only takes a few days.

stick with the basics - multi, protein powder, creatine, and glutamine if your on a restricted calorie diet

try to rely more on whole foods than the shakes, take 2-3 shakes a day, all depending on whether you worked out or not, take them in between your meals

take creatine everyday, if you miss a day, no biggy, just get it in your system, some people say it's best to take it post-workout, pre-workout, etc., just get it in there, it will do it's thing

lift hard, eat plenty, rest a lot, you'll do just fine

good luck bro

diamonddiceclay said:
don't buy at gnc-goto the vitamin shoppe or musclemag
do take creatine-you'll get heavier and stronger
don't use protein supps-eat real food like red meat instead
1 - don't go to any of the places mentioned -- find a good place online
2 - take creatine along w/ multi, flax, glut, and possibly someting for your joints
3 - eat 3 meals plus 2-3 whey/egg/mild protein shake per day --> and stack those shakes with low GI carbs as to get all the benefits of the protein and to avoid unnesassiry bf

All of the above is good advice except:

YOU ARE 140lbs. - Eat everything you can get your hands on. Forget six meals, eat ALL DAY and drink a gallon of water in addition to regular beverages. Find someone who can show you how to lift properly, don't workout more than 4days a week(for now) and get plenty of sleep. Do this for 2-3months and I guarantee you'll grow like a weed. Then you can begin to implement more of these other ideas regarding supplementation.

If you're just starting out then a good multi vitamin and protein powder is all you really need. I use a generic drug store multi split in two, I crush one half and use it in my morning shake and the other half in an evening shake. I use a milk protein isolate protein powder form http://www.proteinfactory.com , and per gram of protein it's cheaper than buying meat or dairy. You may be able to get enough protein from "real" food at your body weight (1 gram per pound) but at my bodyweight it's easier to take in an extra hundred grams from shakes. You may also want to include a whey and dextrose post workout shake to help your recovery.

However, I would also suggest you keep a training and diet log. in your training log keep track of your exercises, sets and reps as well as rest periods between sets. This will allow you to track your progress and determine what works for your body. Write everything you eat in a food log, include protein, carbs, fats and calories. This will allow you to have complete control over your diet. So you know exactly how much you need to bulk without getting too fat or diet without losing too much muscle, getting your body fat checked regularly is important.

Well, it looks like you got some good responses to your threads. I was going to recommend DPS Nutrition also. Anways creatine, protein and glute to start. If you have the extra money throw in a meal replacement such as Cytoplex, myoplex, lean body etc. As far as flavers go get what works for you. You may have to experiment, but you will learn that if something does not taste good you probably wont take it like your supposed to. So get one that tastes good. Alsoif you are concerned about putting on fat get one of those sugarfree creatine transport drinks, there are a few out there. Try to eat 6 times a day, every 2-3 hours. I know this is tuff so if you can get that meal replacement I told you about, it is so much easier. If you want me to write up a sample diet for you let me know. However you can do a search or go to another borad here for that. Good luck bro, you can do it!!

If you could write up a sample diet, that would be great =)
Thanks to all the responses. I bought Whey Protein powder at GNC, and some creatine. Trying to get more than 4 meals a day.
My meals are small. Today, one meal consisted of two hard boiled eggs, and a can on tuna, piece of whole wheat bread, and a glass of water.

Top Bottom