Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can't take the supplements I want, but can take a pill that will kill an unborn child

chesty

Bodybuilding Competitor
Elite Moderator
And wow, go figure, me as well. Read on!

Gotta love our pathetic intellectuals in charge!

Teen dies after complications from abortion pill
Monday, September 22, 2003 Posted: 2:02 PM EDT (1802 GMT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEALTH LIBRARY

• Health Library

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Holly Marie Patterson went to a Planned Parenthood clinic two weeks ago to quietly consider ways to handle a life change she wasn't ready for. One week later, the 18-year-old lay dying on an emergency room table, the victim of complications after she took the abortion pill.

Patterson's death is likely to reignite the debate surrounding RU-486, the pill approved by the Food and Drug Administration two years ago as a way for women to end pregnancies themselves.

Her father is hoping the tragedy will encourage other women considering abortion to seek support, especially from their families.

"Every time I think about it, I think, 'She suffered in silence,"' said Monty Patterson, who said he did not know his daughter was pregnant or taking abortion drugs. "She felt she would disappoint everyone around her, and then she had to carry that whole load. I wish she could have told me so I could have helped her."

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Follow the news that matters to you. Create your own alert to be notified on topics you're interested in.

Or, visit Popular Alerts for suggestions.

Manage alerts | What is this?

Holly Patterson, who lived in the San Francisco suburb of Livermore, visited a Planned Parenthood clinic September 10 to take the pill. She followed the prescribed procedure for using RU-486, taking two more pills at home three days later.

After experiencing bleeding and cramps so severe that she was unable to walk, her boyfriend rushed her to the hospital the following evening, where she was given painkillers and sent home. Three nights later, she was back in the hospital. She died the following day.

An autopsy has been scheduled to determine the cause of Holly's death. But Monty Patterson said he learned from an attending physician at the hospital that she had died after a massive infection caused by fragments of the fetus left inside her uterus caused her to go into septic shock. Planned Parenthood also said it is investigating Patterson's death.

A spokeswoman for Danco Laboratories, which makes RU-486, estimated that 200,000 women in the United States and more than 1 million worldwide have used the pill since it was invented in France in the 1980s.

Two women who took it in the United States have died, although the FDA says it is unclear if their deaths were directly related to the pill's use.

Patients who take RU-486 take the first pill under the care of a physician. A second medication called misoprostol, taken three days later, induces labor so the embryo can be expelled. In 5 to 8 percent of cases, surgery is required to stop the patient's bleeding.

Planned Parenthood's website compares the process to having a miscarriage. Five to eight percent of cases require surgery, either to stop a patient's bleeding or to complete the abortion.

Eric Schaff, chair of the National Abortion Federation, which promotes non-surgical abortion, said aspirin causes more deaths than RU-486.

But anti-abortion groups such as the National Right to Life Committee insist that the pills "offer a whole new set of significant risks," and makes abortion seem too simple. A report on the group's Web site says the pill gives "supporters of abortion a chance to change the image of abortion, making it seem as simple as taking a pill."

Although he said he did not blame the pill for his daughter's death, Monty Patterson regretted that she and her boyfriend hadn't received more information and support from family members, counselors and physicians.

"What's disturbing is these young couples, they are relying upon what they think is good, solid info, and relying on what they think is a supportive network telling them everything is OK," he said. "I would have said, 'You know what, they don't know everything. Let's get more information."'

Chesty-

Good point.... of course alcohol and cigarettes do lots of bad stuff too but they are still around... Not that I am complaining, I think you should be able to jack yourself up in anyway imaginable unimpinged....

I'm out, but when I get a chance, I am going to give you Karma for uniqueness....

Funny I disagree with legalizing drugs, but sometimes the thought processess or lack thereof, are mind boggling. This man is without his daughter now, and the hell of it is he doesn't blame the drugs or the drug compnay or planned parent hood or even himself for her death. Where is the responsibility in this?

Hell, how many millions of people have used steroids or ephedra etc and how many have died while using them? Not many I would say, but when they do and even when an autopsy cannot prove the cause of death it is still immediately attributed to the supplements in use at the time.

Like the fat ass, out of shape pitcher that died from heat stroke. The autopsy could not prove that ephedra had anything to do with his death, yet all completely agreed that it was the cause of death.

RU-486 is not an OTC drug, at least in most countries. Same with AAS. What is the difference then ?

BTW as mentionned, tobacco and alcohol are legal and kill more people than marijuana, AAS, ephedra......

That is my point. It may not be over the counter, but it causes deaths and it is okay, some dumb out of shape fat ass pops a couple of Xenydrine and drops dead and it is like the world has been irradiated with Tritium.

Hell, in this case, Planned Parent Hood got a two for one deal! They not only got the baby, they got the Ho that got pregnant. Not a bad plan if you ask me. Stop the problem where it starts!

Actually, the fault lies with hospital that sent her home with painkillers. She should have never been allowed to leave, she should have been kept over night.

I hope people realize that RU-486 is not a pill to freedom.

velvett said:
Actually, the fault lies with hospital that sent her home with painkillers. She should have never been allowed to leave, she should have been kept over night.

I hope people realize that RU-486 is not a pill to freedom.

I hope you realize the you are the shizzy on the hizzy and that = hott!!!

chesty said:
That is my point. It may not be over the counter, but it causes deaths and it is okay, some dumb out of shape fat ass pops a couple of Xenydrine and drops dead and it is like the world has been irradiated with Tritium.

Hell, in this case, Planned Parent Hood got a two for one deal! They not only got the baby, they got the Ho that got pregnant. Not a bad plan if you ask me. Stop the problem where it starts!

I get where you are coming from and I agree with you regarding the ephedra comparison but Planned Parenthood doesn't make people have sex - the do offer protection for those who choose to have sex and they offer choices for thoses that chose not to have sex while protected.

If you want to blame Planned Parenthood you should also hold the parents to blame as well.

chesty said:

Should tobacco be illegal ?

Top Bottom