Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Advice on trt for a young guy

luke77

Hello everyone,
I have been reading through the archives of this forum and have come across a number of threads dealing with testosteron replacement therapy, and reading these threads has actually raised a few questions in my mind. I am currently recovering from anorexia (yes, I'm a guy btw) and my testosterone levels were quite low (about 85 - I'm not sure what units this is in). My doctor prescribed androderm 5mg and upped it to 10mg after two weeks when my levels had not improved to a significant degree. After several weeks at this dose my levels stabilized at about 470 and have been at this level for a few months. I know that 470 is within the normal realm but I still have symptoms of low T such as slow beard growth, lack of sexual desire, etc. - although all of these symptoms have improved somewhat since being on TRT. I am considering asking my doc to up my dose further in order to get my level into the higher range of normal...but I am semi-concerned about the long-term health benefits of doing so.

First, I have read that with trt there is the risk of further supressing the body's natural t production (possibly permanently). Would increasing the dose increase this risk? I know that my doctor expects that my natural t production will eventually return to normal (because it was caused by inadequate nutrition) and I'm worried that increasing the dose will inhibit this. At the same time though, I have been at a healthy weight for about 4 months now and my natural production has not increased...is it possible that it will never recover, no matter what?

The second question I have has to do with other tests. On a previous thread someone suggested that another guy with low testosterone go on a short run of clomid or nolva in order to test...something - the discussion was a little over my head. I was just wondering if this is something I should explore/ask my doctor about. My doctor is a good doctor and very competent, but I know that most general physicians aren't experts in endocrinology, and this is why I am asking for advice from you guys. I don't want to push for a greater dose of testosterone and end up totally screwing up my body, but at the same time I would really like to increase the dose to help with my energy, sex drive, etc. Thank you very much in advance for any help, suggestions, or comments.

Luke

It is possible, if not probable, that until you return to a healthy foundation for a longer period of time, you will not know what therapy, if any, to pursue.

It appears you did get a response to test supplementation at a reasonable low dosage level. Hopefully this was a mix of the supplement and improved natural levels. I have been told that low level supplementation does not suppress natural output.

Are you eating a balanced diet at appropriate caloric levels?
Are you taking vits and mins?
Are you exercising reasonably?
Are your other blood test results within range? Liver? Blood cell count?

The reason I ask these questions is "I am currently recovering from anorexia". Your body was under incredible stress and is probably still recovering. Why load yourself up with test and other chems until you are sure you need them.

My opinion .... Make an overall healthly foundation your goal for the next year. Let your body recover and turn itself back on as much as it can. Have complete blood tests done every three months to see what is improving and what needs change. Make good food your # 1 medication along with light exercise and sleep. Learn to relax. Heal!

Take the low dosage of test being prescribed. No harm here and maybe a little boost.

Thanks very much for the thougthful advice. The answer to all of your questions is "yes" - with the exception of my white blood cell count, which is slightly low. Until recently, I also had a low platelet count and low hemoglobin. Actually, in Jan. of this year I was diagnosed with aplastic anemia, which was determined to a result of calorie restriction/overexercising. As my anorexia has resolved all of these things have steadily improved. In addition, I had a bone marrow biopsy last december which suggested that I was developing osteopenia. I agree with you that my testosterone levels will most likely normalize...the reason I am anxious to get the levels up as quickly as possible is because testosterone plays a major role in bone health, and I don't want to irreversibly damage my bones. In addition, I am continuing to gain weight, and I know that with high testosterone levels I will build more muscle and less fat (than at my current low-normal levels). I think that it will be much easier for me (emotionally) to put on weight if it's mainly muscle (and I will be less likely to "relapse" and lose weight again). Does this make sense...and if you were in my position, what would you suggest?

Thanks again,
Luke

luke77 said:
Thanks very much for the thougthful advice. The answer to all of your questions is "yes" - with the exception of my white blood cell count, which is slightly low. Until recently, I also had a low platelet count and low hemoglobin. Actually, in Jan. of this year I was diagnosed with aplastic anemia, which was determined to a result of calorie restriction/overexercising. As my anorexia has resolved all of these things have steadily improved. In addition, I had a bone marrow biopsy last december which suggested that I was developing osteopenia. I agree with you that my testosterone levels will most likely normalize...the reason I am anxious to get the levels up as quickly as possible is because testosterone plays a major role in bone health, and I don't want to irreversibly damage my bones. In addition, I am continuing to gain weight, and I know that with high testosterone levels I will build more muscle and less fat (than at my current low-normal levels). I think that it will be much easier for me (emotionally) to put on weight if it's mainly muscle (and I will be less likely to "relapse" and lose weight again). Does this make sense...and if you were in my position, what would you suggest?

Thanks again,
Luke

I would have my Doctor place me on a low dosage test and HGH program. If your Doctor is not skilled in HRT, have him/her refer you to someone who is.

You have a very unique situation.

Thank you. Also, I have a quick follow-up question. I have been reading up on stuff and I found this article on medline:

Effects of testosterone replacement on muscle mass and muscle protein synthesis in hypogonadal men: a clinical research center study — I.G. Brodsky et al. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 1996; 81(10):3469-3475.
Researchers measured body composition and muscle protein synthesis in five men with low testosterone before and six months after beginning testosterone replacement therapy. After testosterone therapy, all five men showed an increase in fat-free mass, a decrease in fat mass and an increase in muscle mass (65 percent of the increase in fat-free mass could be attributed to increased muscle mass). The scientists also found that the increased muscle mass was caused by the ability of testosterone to stimulate muscle protein synthesis. (Design of Study: Hypogonadal men before and during testosterone treatment; not a controlled study.)

According to this study, men going on trt actually gained muscle and lost fat while on the therapy - I thought that it was more or less impossible to gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously (hence the bulk/cut patterns of bodybuilders). Does this rule somehow not apply if you have low testosterone levels and are returning to normal? Does anyone have any personal experience with this?

Thanks again,
Luke

luke77 said:
Thank you. Also, I have a quick follow-up question. I have been reading up on stuff and I found this article on medline:

Effects of testosterone replacement on muscle mass and muscle protein synthesis in hypogonadal men: a clinical research center study — I.G. Brodsky et al. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 1996; 81(10):3469-3475.
Researchers measured body composition and muscle protein synthesis in five men with low testosterone before and six months after beginning testosterone replacement therapy. After testosterone therapy, all five men showed an increase in fat-free mass, a decrease in fat mass and an increase in muscle mass (65 percent of the increase in fat-free mass could be attributed to increased muscle mass). The scientists also found that the increased muscle mass was caused by the ability of testosterone to stimulate muscle protein synthesis. (Design of Study: Hypogonadal men before and during testosterone treatment; not a controlled study.)

According to this study, men going on trt actually gained muscle and lost fat while on the therapy - I thought that it was more or less impossible to gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously (hence the bulk/cut patterns of bodybuilders). Does this rule somehow not apply if you have low testosterone levels and are returning to normal? Does anyone have any personal experience with this?

Thanks again,
Luke

This is very common for any of us with proper diet and exercise, especially if you add HGH to the mix. It is happening to me now.

Old school Champ Clarance Bass did a very scientific journal of his experiences. He found best results for him were obtained with small amounts of anavar (from his Doc) and a low carb diet. He gained muscle and lost fat.

Top Bottom