Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The old boxing v MMA debate

LOL! Of course, if you are talking to mma fans, why wouldn't they know. Most mma fans weren't into boxing to begin with, so there understanding of a sport will be non exsistent so speak. If you are talking to people of american or canadian locations where mma has a good following that's what you'll get. Go to parts of europe, most parts of asia, all of southern south america, middle east, africa, and islander countries, they won't speak so passionately or even know what mma is. You have to factor that in, when determining how much of a popularity a sport is.

Look most of Mayweather's recent fights crushed any ppv the UFC has ever done, in buy numbers.

"The UFC had a rumored 1.5 million household rate for UFC 100, which was due in majority part to the considerable drawing power of Brock Lesnar. Boxing still holds the record for purchases with a 2007 bout between Mayweather and Oscar De La Hoya: 2.4 million."

The ppv buy numbers would be 3mil+ for Pacman/Mayweather projected easyly. Boxing sells.

LMAO, Boxing DOESNT sell, people watch MAYWEATHER because of his personality OUT of the ring as much as they want to watch him fight someone. If he said, I QUIT BOXING IM GOING TO MMA, boxings number would fall off DRAMATICALLY. The drama of Mayweather talking shit, the out of ring "drama" leading up to the fight, is what sells AS MUCH as the event does. If Mayweather didn't run his MOUTH 24/7 the average public wouldnt give a damn, youd only have the BOXING fans, people pay for his celebrity.

He could say he was never going to box again and was going to become a wrestler and wrestling numbers would go up...not to watch wrestling, but to watch what happens to floyd.

Boxing has been around for YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS to promote their events, MMA hasnt been PUSHED mainstream for that long and it is already chipping into Boxings fan base at a FAST rate.

What is LEFT of boxing will be dead, crushed, stomped on, spit upon, and laughed at MORE than it is now within 5 years. Only the DIE hards that don't know when to let go will be left.

Boxing analysts already think the 100000 belts are a joke, fights are mainly a joke other than the ONE or TWO main draws each year...the sport can't even keep these people happy. ROME's biggest draw was brutal games in the ARENA, fighting to the death, no one wants to watch guys with 12in thick gloves jabbing and hugging for 12 rounds mixed with dancing around in circles. Sure MMA has bad fights, its impossible to have 100% perfect fights, but MMA has more memorable moments per year than boxing. This mainly due to the fact that boxing has a hard time even getting 2 BIG names that one cares about in the ring at the same time.

MMA's marketing will crush boxing VERY soon...So enjoy the LITTLE bit of exposure it has left.

I still just don't get the whole 'who would win in a street fight' debates. The two are just SPORTS.

Anything goes in a street fight. It's just about how much of a nutter you are. Tyson would have ripped people apart with his teeth, besides the killer punches.

Any train combat fighter has a great chance but all forms of fighting either it be mma or boxing can fail in street fighting. It's way different that it has no rules. No one there to tell you to not elbow behind the head, grab an object to stick it through your neck, bite your flesh off, stick a thumb up your eye, crack your knee out with a direct hit to the front, and so much more. To show an example, two friends of mine got into a fight at a bbq 2 yrs ago. One of them wrestled in hs and does bjj, the other dude dosen't even care about mma cause he plays college baseball. The wrestler locks up with my friend, throws him over a table, the wrestler gets his back, the baseball player jams his fingers with force through his neck while he was trying to get him in a choke, the wrestler turns over from the pain, the baseball player trys to get to his feet but the wrestler trys to grab his legs to get him down, and thats when he grabs a heavy ash tray from the table to hit him in the back of his neck, while kicking him repeatedly to the side of the head. The trained dude ended up with whiplash to the neck and his rigth ear drum was fractured from the kicks to the side of the head. Anything and anyone can win in a street fight. Fights in the streets most often even one on one to begin with and weapons change everything. Chances to lose outside of a no rules enviroment come at a great price and unpredictable. It's whole different situation with much worse outcomes.

LMAO, Boxing DOESNT sell, people watch MAYWEATHER because of his personality OUT of the ring as much as they want to watch him fight someone. If he said, I QUIT BOXING IM GOING TO MMA, boxings number would fall off DRAMATICALLY. The drama of Mayweather talking shit, the out of ring "drama" leading up to the fight, is what sells AS MUCH as the event does. If Mayweather didn't run his MOUTH 24/7 the average public wouldnt give a damn, youd only have the BOXING fans, people pay for his celebrity.

He could say he was never going to box again and was going to become a wrestler and wrestling numbers would go up...not to watch wrestling, but to watch what happens to floyd.

Boxing has been around for YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS to promote their events, MMA hasnt been PUSHED mainstream for that long and it is already chipping into Boxings fan base at a FAST rate.

What is LEFT of boxing will be dead, crushed, stomped on, spit upon, and laughed at MORE than it is now within 5 years. Only the DIE hards that don't know when to let go will be left.

Boxing analysts already think the 100000 belts are a joke, fights are mainly a joke other than the ONE or TWO main draws each year...the sport can't even keep these people happy. ROME's biggest draw was brutal games in the ARENA, fighting to the death, no one wants to watch guys with 12in thick gloves jabbing and hugging for 12 rounds mixed with dancing around in circles. Sure MMA has bad fights, its impossible to have 100% perfect fights, but MMA has more memorable moments per year than boxing. This mainly due to the fact that boxing has a hard time even getting 2 BIG names that one cares about in the ring at the same time.

MMA's marketing will crush boxing VERY soon...So enjoy the LITTLE bit of exposure it has left.

Cotto, margarito, marquez, and even palvik still draw heavy crowds. Cotto only lost to 2 top ww in one possible being the best of are area in Manny. Nothing to be ashamed of in losing to the top of the food chain in boxing. When you fight the best you will lose sometimes. Just like in mma. How many people have undfeated records in mma facing the top 1 through 3 guys in there class??? Many of them. Does that make shogun, overeem, couture, and silva washed up??? They bounced back with time just like all great contenders in other sports. No one can be on top forever, even the great fall sometimes.

That's kind of the point, the popularity is swinging to MMA because even the lower level fights have more entertainment potential, than the "friday night fights" and lower level cards in boxing. Boxing can only draw numbers with the HUGE fights, MMA is getting rating with "reality" shows like The Ultimate Fighter. Retard Kimbo Slice gets huge rating online and on TV and the guy is a horrible fighter in a ring, but was a great street fighter, does this mean since people watch him he's great? No...Just like boxing Floyd and Paq get tons of numbers from being "names" that people know, not for the fight itself. This in itself if why MMA is taking over. People see the people fight more, fighters aren't taking A YEAR or so off before they fight, people see their faces more than once a year. Boxing is HORRIBLE at marketing more than 2-3 people, right now the ONLY talk is about Floyd and Paq, without the drama of that fight the general public would have no interest. It's not the diehard boxing fans we are talking about, its the Gen Pop that will determine if boxing will fall...and they have been losing interest FAST over the last decade.

-Legacy

That's kind of the point, the popularity is swinging to MMA because even the lower level fights have more entertainment potential, than the "friday night fights" and lower level cards in boxing. Boxing can only draw numbers with the HUGE fights, MMA is getting rating with "reality" shows like The Ultimate Fighter. Retard Kimbo Slice gets huge rating online and on TV and the guy is a horrible fighter in a ring, but was a great street fighter, does this mean since people watch him he's great? No...Just like boxing Floyd and Paq get tons of numbers from being "names" that people know, not for the fight itself. This in itself if why MMA is taking over. People see the people fight more, fighters aren't taking A YEAR or so off before they fight, people see their faces more than once a year. Boxing is HORRIBLE at marketing more than 2-3 people, right now the ONLY talk is about Floyd and Paq, without the drama of that fight the general public would have no interest. It's not the diehard boxing fans we are talking about, its the Gen Pop that will determine if boxing will fall...and they have been losing interest FAST over the last decade.

-Legacy

Are you kidding me? Manny got his fame for his aggressive fight style, his speed, his class in & out of the ring, his humbleness, his accomplishments he's obtain in his sport, the pride he brings to his country, and for beating the best. Manny is a national treasure in his country for god sake. No mma fighter has obtain that kind of status in there country. People watch Manny and cotto among other's because even in a loss they display heart and excitement. People hold them high around the world and espeacially in thier native country. Not everyone is as technical as mayweather. FNF displays great upcoming talent and it wouldn't be running all these years if no viewers weren't watching. Like I said, boxing in America is sloped downwards because right now many top fighter's aren't from the states right now. Eroupe, asia, and south america have tremdous talent right now. The cubans and russian's right now are repersenting well in boxing presently.

Are you kidding me? Manny got his fame for his aggressive fight style, his speed, his class in & out of the ring, his humbleness, his accomplishments he's obtain in his sport, the pride he brings to his country, and for beating the best. Manny is a national treasure in his country for god sake. No mma fighter has obtain that kind of status in there country. People watch Manny and cotto among other's because even in a loss they display heart and excitement. People hold them high around the world and espeacially in thier native country. Not everyone is as technical as mayweather. FNF displays great upcoming talent and it wouldn't be running all these years if no viewers weren't watching. Like I said, boxing in America is sloped downwards because right now many top fighter's aren't from the states right now. Eroupe, asia, and south america have tremdous talent right now. The cubans and russian's right now are repersenting well in boxing presently.

LOL...once floyd and paq' are gone, boxing will do less numbers than the monthly WWE PPV's, keep holding on to the dream though...Its good to see boxing will always have the SMALL dreamer side of their fans till death, no matter how blindly the sport is followed.

I remember me and some friends a couple years ago would turn on FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS to see HOW BAD the fighters were and how much of a joke it was...not because of "great talent". The fights had most of the crowds boo'ing them several rounds in...but yeah, maybe if i dig REAL REAL REAL deep into some stats I can learn about some 13 year old that's boxing in Romania or something, that might be big....never.

LOL...once floyd and paq' are gone, boxing will do less numbers than the monthly WWE PPV's, keep holding on to the dream though...Its good to see boxing will always have the SMALL dreamer side of their fans till death, no matter how blindly the sport is followed.

MMA is small boxing is big. Don't know how mma fans can keep ignoring facts. The numbers and popularity of boxing around the world does not lie. People like you let your own pesonal preference get in the way of acknowledging other's great accomplishment's just cause you don't care. Boxing is a cycle that just keeps on going. When one star moves on another takes it's place.

Last edited:
I remember me and some friends a couple years ago would turn on FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS to see HOW BAD the fighters were and how much of a joke it was...not because of "great talent". The fights had most of the crowds boo'ing them several rounds in...but yeah, maybe if i dig REAL REAL REAL deep into some stats I can learn about some 13 year old that's boxing in Romania or something, that might be big....never.

From what I've briefly read of your posts, you are just recycling exactly the same pathetic stuff that Joe Rogan was saying. I've just been reading an article from around 2007 about how years earlier the MMA has been predicting that boxing was dead only for De La Hoya v Mayweather to completely smash any PPV figures ever.

The figures and the money do not lie. Neither do the fact that up and coming fighters lie Amir Khan are already multi millionaires despite being barely known in some parts yet. MMA just doesn't compare yet and I don't think it ever will. The only way that MMA will be taken seriously by a mainstream audience is if has oficial governing bodies ruling the fights (i.e. fights not simply run by one or two private companies) and if people like Dana White are not in control. Also there would have to be much more respect in the sport in general in my opinion.

Btw, even though UFC numbers can't compare with boxing - I bet that even they are inflated by Mr White. Remember, UFC is JUST a private company and nobody can check whether the numbers which they release are correct or not. Bob Arum believes they are actually even lower than released and I'd be more inclined to believe him than Dana White who has tried to trash talk boxing for the good of his business many times.

See above post, but on this point did you know that there is MUCH MORE crossover between WWE fans and UFC fans than there is between WWE and boxing fans? It's not hard to see why.

Top Bottom