Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The old boxing v MMA debate

footwork and stance is not the same in mma as it is in boxing. the way a boxer turns their hips in on a hook or step in on an uppercut cannot happen in mma. you get taken down/slammed on your head. mma leads to a lot more akward punches. moving back ect. thats how the sport is. plain and simple.

Of course it's modificated, when we see actully the best healthy boxers in mma you'll see. Dana white knows this and thats the reason why he didn't want to make cintron and sherk fight happen. Here was this young talented boxer, who was good enough to shut his mma guys grappling down and display true beautiful striking in the cage. Sherk would of woke up on his back if it would of went down.

was it Dana that stopped that fight from happening or did the boxer not want to do it? I don't really know who Cintron was or whether he was capable of keeping off his back against Sherk....my guess would be no. It's a stupid fight to begin with, way too different styles. Sherk would have laid on top of the dude for the whole fight and pounded him unless this cintron guy has had some form of MMA training.

But I find it interesting that nobody sees the point that once a boxer learns how to sprawl he's not a boxer anymore....he's an MMA fighter just like Liddell. And how would this boxer do against a guy who knew how to kick? He'd have to learn how to block kicks and throw some of his own.....nows he's not a boxer anymore. I wonder if that was on Dana's mind. If the boxer won he could say he only did so because he trained in MMA before the fight. Either way it was a win.

Boxing fans are almost as sad as baseball and hockey fans :) Lets see how many people I can piss off in one thread! SCORE!

That dosen't alaways happen like wrestlers don't always win by pin, boxer by ko, kickboxer by kicks, and bjj player by subs. It varies by styles of the figthers. Ko's are happening all the time in boxing but going the distance happens as well. MMA has it too. Let's not get confused.

When I watch a boxing match I'm looking for a KO or TKO. The last few I've paid for didn't end up that way. Seems like most boxers are trying to hold onto belts, not their fans. All I'm saying is that most people look for excitement in fights. Boxing doesn't provide me with that anymore. Sure MMA has decisions too. But you only have to endure 5 rounds at the most to get to the same end. And most times there's alot more happening within that period...

really? you'd rather watch a 140 pound phillipino dude fight than a snarling, drooling animal who punched the soul out of people? Sorry, I respect Paq...he's a beast for his size. But to say his fights are even near as entertaining as Tysons is just ridiculous and you're now trying to scramble for reasons why boxing is still relevant. People in my gym stopped their workouts and watched the tv screen when ESPN was showing tysons greatest. That would not happen if Paq was up there.

Yep, I've watched Tyson's fights recently and I'd still rather watch Pacquiao. As powerful, fast and generally awesome as Tyson was to watch I prefer the relentless speed and action that you get with Pacquiao. His combinations are unbelievable. The size of the fighter doesn't matter to me.

the punches increase the chance of a knockout by increasing the chance of connecting with "the button". But you know full well that you can knock someone out with a little jab if you hit the spot just right. Actual damage though is greatly decreased with the bigger gloves. Fights would probably not go 12 rounds with the smaller gloves, and that would be fine with me. If somebody hasn't been rocked after 5-6 rounds I'm startin to lose interest. And taht goes for MMA as well.

You maybe have a point to say that the smaller gloves increase likelihood of a knockout. I'm not 100% sure, but maybe. That said, the larger gloves do make boxing a more dangerous sport so to slate it for not being 'tough enough' or whatever is just stupid. Generally though, a good punch will cause a knockout no matter what happens as it is the amount the brain shakes inside the skull which causes the KO. I actually don't enjoy seeing huge knockouts that much and don't get bored if it goes 12 rounds provided it is a good fight. I don't want to see anyone killed, I want to see every fighter get up and be fine. Some of the best fights in history have been 12, or even 15 round fights. It is the skill which is so intriguing. Maybe casual 'fight' fans just want to see blood but I don't think that is what boxing is about so maybe those people prefer MMA. Even so, the whole point of this thread still stands - to say boxing is dead is ridiculous when there is so much more money and the names in boxing have been and still are so much bigger than any in MMA.

you arent in america.. there are not more names in boxing. period. and besides the big names there arent more money. the frequency of fighting in MMA is also un matched. look how many times a year there are UFC's.. thats just one organization. strikeforce, dream, wec, ufc, and pride used to be huge. all of them have fights all year round.

now for boxing i can count how many big fights happened in the last couple years using my fingers..

LMAO, you keep talking about the boxers needing protection because of their super awesome punching ability...sadly thats all they have because, well its all they can do and its all they train to do...geeez that's tough. MMA guys TRAIN in boxing as well as many other skills, so how is it that you are giving all the credit to boxers for punching? MMA fighters practice with their hands as much as boxers but they also train every other aspect of their game, so again, being an MMA fighter takes more training, skill, and ability to take pain, and they don't whine about "extra protection" lol You are a joke if you think boxers NEED the protection because of their all powerful godly punching ability, seeing as MMA guys train IN BOXING the exact same way, they just train for more...Fuckin, jokin me...You cant argue with "boxing people" their arguments make no sense and they are living in the 80's apparently.

Again this doesn't make sense. The training to get to the top is equally hard. There is only so much time you can spend and the top boxers are spending all day in the gym during camp. They just train differently....MMA fighters train a variety of skills but they dont train any more or any harder. They do less cardio but spend more time on learning various techniques. Boxers have to obviously be MUCH better at the what they do. The boxing aspect of a boxing fight is way more honed than in MMA, because it has to be. Freddie Roach says that the best boxer in MMA that he saw was BJ Penn and I didn't think he was that great to be honest.

Top Bottom