Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

spotters help

GR8SCOT

trained ME bench last night and for the first time in quite a while i had someone training with me to help spot etc. Have to say that it made a huge difference not just in my attitude towards the lift but also with physicaly pushing myself further.

Gotta give a heap of respect to lifters out there who train on their own.

My question tho is on ME days do you see any benefit to using the spotters to help you on the lift ?

Do you mean physically assist the lift? Like a forced rep?

If so, I say no. If they touch the bar...it doesn't count. However, if you mean do they help by pushing you and reminding you over and over HEAD BACK, STAY TIGHT, DRIVE, etc. then yes, they do help you.

The worst thing is when my regular training partners are not around and you've got to ask some BB to spot you. I always ask them: "what am I doing now?" while I gently touch the bar with my fingers. The guy will then say you're touching the bar. I'll then take my hands about a foot away and ask the same question. The answer is then "You're not touching the bar."

"Good. You can see the difference between the two?"
"Yes."
"Whe you spot me, I want you not to touch the bar until I tell you, OK?"
"OK."

Would you believe that some of then will, even after this little lesson, at the first sign of you starting to do some work, still grab the bar and upright row it off my chest!

I think in a situation like this you actually need another guy to spot the spotter. This guy will stand behind the spotter and will be briefed to smack the spotter against the head if he touches the bar without being asked.

God that is one of my pet peeves... It really pisses me off when I tell them to leave it alone unless I say take it.. they always seem to hear little voices or something as I begin to strain...

Try this sometime (if someone really pisses you off) ..Just give up and let the weight rest on your chest.. tell them you cant get it up.. make them pull it off of you.. they probably dont want to spot you again because you have just ruined there next bicep workout (who cares did ya wnat hm spottin ya anyway???) :p

Top Bottom