Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Suggestions for Workout Please

:) Glad to hear your quads feel better! I hope you're stretching everything else as well.

Looks pretty good! I would not worry at ALL about the fact that you're doing 3X per week - I think that is fine.
DEFINITELY stay in the 8-12 rep range. 15 reps per set should be only an occasional thing, legs you could go slightly higher rep (15), but everything else try to stay closer to 10 or lower. If you're doing more than about 12, you're getting into the 'muscular endurance training' - stay in the strength range. Also more fun IMO to bang out fewer reps with more intensity, than to keep going so long. Just be sure that rep #8 or 10 or so is the LAST you could possible do with **good form** (never compromise form).

I have heard debate over deadlifts - if they are low back or ham/glute. I do believe it's more glute/ham (SPATTS?) So I would put them on leg day.

I would put the shrugs on back day - b/c they are for your traps. Traps are visible at the back of your neck, but the actual muscle is flat & runs the length of your back. It's involved in most rowing movements. You could throw in rear delt flies in it's place.

For chest - try doing the bench or incline with dumbells instead of a barbell, just mix it up.

Are you sure about 4 sets of 20 reverse crunches? Those are pretty tough! Are you using weight for your regular crunches? If not, and you are fatiguing in 20 reps, think of it this way - the rev crunches are probably double to TRIPLE the load of the regular crunches!!! You're using your abs to raise your legs & hips instead of lift your head & shoulders. 20 of those kick my butt & my abs are pretty strong. Maybe try 10 reps regular, 10 reps rev. The only reason I even mention it is b/c about 90% of the people I see doing these do them wrong. I go ON & ON when teaching about how if you're just SWINGING your legs up, your abs aren't working, but I still see it.

"Keep the reps in the higher range for rot cuff exercises b/c you need to train it for muscular endurance (as opposed to strength) to help it regain stability as it heals. Maybe 2 sets of 15."

Almost forgot these.... on your back day, toss in the 2 sets of 15 for rotater cuff.

Easiest thing to do is lay on the floor or a bench on your side, LIGHT dumbell in your top hand (try 3 or 5# to start), elbow bent at 90 degrees - upper arm (bicep) laying flat against your rib cage. Keep your wrist straight & just lift the dumbell, keeping elbow connected to your side so your palm faces out in front of you. You should feel it mid-back. Picture opening your jacket up, keeping your bicep against your rib cage.

Great! Thanks for the rotator cuff exercises. I moved deadlift over to legs like you suggested, and I guess I'll move shrugs. I need something more for shoulders then. Lat raises?

The reverse crunches are actually goals. I can only do about 12-15 a set. Okay, maybe not goals. Wishful thinking? lol

I took your advice and went down to 8 reps and more weight. I like lifting heavier than lighter, anyway. I suppose if my work-out buddy remains afraid that she'll turn into She-Hulk that I'll suggest she go up in reps instead. Silly child. I will get strong and buff and beautiful and she will tremble with awe at my bench. :) Did I mention I was just a tad competitive?

One long-term goal is to be able to do an unassisted pull-up/chin-up. I never could do these even when I was a kid.

It's been great coming up with my "own" workout rather than following some Y-geek's uneducated routine. I appreciate everyone's help in my endeavor.

I am having so much fun!

Top Bottom