Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sprinters ….

slat1 said:
I would practice all types of running. Do some distance. Do some suicides etc.
If you have telephone poles in your area there is a neat thing you can do too. Run at a normal pace to the first one. When you get to it sprint to the second. When you get to the second run at a normal pace again. At the third sprint and so on. It will tire you out fast but it works wonders.

BTW. My charge for that advice is one picture of you in a police uniform if you get the job.
IF? When ;)

Ok. :) Start now, and in 8-12 weeks you'll be laughing at the guys who are panting and gasping for air at the finish.

1) Switch to HIIT cardio 3 days per week. You need to get your body accustomed to working at a greater intensity.

2) Start doing jump rope. The deceleration on 52 sprints is going to be the killer. The jump rope will condition your tendons and ligaments, which are going to take a beating. Train them properly, and you won't notice it at all...you'll be conditioned. :) Start with 5 minutes and add 30 seconds each week until you're up to 10.

3) Do a Google search on "Tabata protocol", or start with this article here: http://www.achieve-fitness.com/ideal.htm It is a 4 minute drill. Start doing these 3 times per week. They are brutal, but effective. You can do them on bikes, an elliptical, with bodyweight squats, with squat-thrusts, etc. They WILL increase your cardiovascular conditioning quite quickly. If you're going to run, though, a treadmill won't work. It just doesn't change speeds fast enough, which is why I recommend all the other possibilities. Squat thrusts will probably be the most difficult, if done at the intensity recommended. Since yours is a 6-minute test, I would add 15 seconds each week until you were at 6 1/2 minutes.

4) Sprinting on a basketball court could be done twice per week. Unless you have access to an NBA court, the total distance is 84 feet. Instead of doing the whole thing, go from one end to the other side's free throw line, which will be 65 feet. For decelaration purposes, I would suggest that you decelerate and not allow yourself to go past the free throw line. That will best simulate having about 5-10 feet to stop. The deceleration portion depends on your testing environment and can be adjusted as needed. Start with 4 minutes and work your way up to 6.5, just like with the Tabatas.

5) Don't lift slow. Ever. The amount of weight may force you to move slowly, but don't lift "slow" on purpose. Think "fast". Lifting slowly is one of the most ignorant things ever to hit the athletic realm...forgive my bluntness. :) Always "intend" to lift fast. Always.

6) I forgot something. Flexibility. Start doing some dynamic stretching before every workout and get a good static stretch in, afterwards. The last thing you want is to pull a hamstring or hip flexor half-way through the test.

nelmsjer said:
SUBSTANTIAL EDIT: MAJOR math error!

Wow. I've never heard of this. But you CAN train for it. :)

What is your current training? When is your test? You may need to change a few things up for a bit.

EDITED news: at 4 seconds per sprint, that's 208 seconds out of 360 seconds. 360 seconds divided by 52 sprints is 7 seconds per sprint, which puts us at a very difficult 4:3 ratio...

That's going to be tough. I made a serious error on this one, and you need to get to training. My apologies...

On the other hand, I want to know what kind of training you've been doing, because if everything has been "slow" lately, we need to work on your nervous system for a bit.

Dangit. I messed up and wanted to make sure I pointed it out. It doesn't change any of my recommendations, except to emphasize that this will not be simple, and that you should start training for it.

Let me know if you have questions on anything.

nelmsjer said:
Dangit. I messed up and wanted to make sure I pointed it out. It doesn't change any of my recommendations, except to emphasize that this will not be simple, and that you should start training for it.

Let me know if you have questions on anything.
Wow awesome suggestions so far thanks so much.

Can I keep my lifting the same one week light one week heavy? I been dieting which for me normally involves carb cycling. I was hoping to have so abs for summer but it is not the most important thing to me right now being ready for this testing is. Any suggestions on how to keep the diet?

Yes, you can keep your lifting the same, but I want to make sure that i emphasize something again. On your light week, start calling it "speed" week. You need to put maximum force into the lighter weight, which means it will move FAST. You will not believe what a difference this will make, and it WILL carry over to your heavy lifts.

I'll tell you what. Let's trade some knowledge. Would you mind expanding on your carb cycling program? I THINK it will work for you, depending on how you've laid it out. Also, what % bodyfat are you at right now? Can you put up some gym numbers for me, especially on legs?

nelmsjer said:
Yes, you can keep your lifting the same, but I want to make sure that i emphasize something again. On your light week, start calling it "speed" week. You need to put maximum force into the lighter weight, which means it will move FAST. You will not believe what a difference this will make, and it WILL carry over to your heavy lifts.

I'll tell you what. Let's trade some knowledge. Would you mind expanding on your carb cycling program? I THINK it will work for you, depending on how you've laid it out. Also, what % bodyfat are you at right now? Can you put up some gym numbers for me, especially on legs?
Well I do my carb cycling a bit different:

Week 1-2 I do 2 days very low carb 40-60 grams just from green veggies then 1 day carb up with 80-100 grams typical oats
Week 3-4 is 3 days low carb 1 day carb up
Week 5-6 is 4 days low carb 1 day carb up
Week 7-8 is 5 days low carb 1 day carb up
Week 9-10 is 6 days low carb 1 day carb up
Next two weeks are typically contest prep stuff complete carb deplete etc. I am not competing this year but had plans to follow a competition diet tell around July just to have my best beach body.

Thing is around week 7-8 my energy is very low and struggle with that tell contest is over. I was thinking of just keeping a basic 40/30/30 split carbs coming in mostly around training to for the energy.

Where I am at right now 5'6 162 @ 18%

Key compounds (no maxs haven’t done maxs in over a year strength is still important to me but how I look is more important ;) )
Deadlifts 195 for 8, 205 for 6
Squats 115 for 8, 135 for 6
Bench 105 for 8, 115 for 6

I had some problems with my glute and shoulder was seeing my chiro / ART guy about once a week for two months but he pretty much fixed me up and gave me some stretches / exercise that have helped keep things in check.

Ok, I'm going to first say that I am not a diet expert. It's one of my weaknesses that I am working on.

Having said that: you will NOT be able to maintain the intensity you need with your current diet plan. I DO know enough to know that. ;)

What you CAN do is concentrate your carb intake around your workouts. In other words, during and after your workouts, get in a workout shake that includes very simple carbs and protein. Honestly, I think it will be the only way you can make it. Athletes simply cannot function at the level at which you will need to perform unless you make an exception over the next 3 months.

Now, I am thinking that you MAY be able to succeed with just adding the workout shake for at least the first month of your plan. Perhaps even the second month. This will allow you to drop the bodyfat you would like to lose, yet still perform athletically and train properly.

Seeing your squat numbers, I want you to also start doing high-knee skips a few times per week as well. The jump ropes, skips, and sprints are going to make a difference. "Speed".

Top Bottom