Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Qu. for trainers and people with trainers

SteelWeaver

I've been asked on this board if I have a trainer, and I've noticed quite a few people here have trainers, so my question is: What does your trainer do for you that you can't do for yourself?

And, trainers, what do you do for your clients that they can't/don't want to (?) do for themselves?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm in a position where I don't have a trainer, and can't get one, mostly because of language reasons, but also financial (VERRRY expensive here), etc, etc. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Instead of FINDING a trainer, I've decided to BECOME a trainer - that way I can someday put everything I have to learn anyway to good professional use someday. But in the meantime, I have only myself to practice on, and you don't get experience from books (like, for example, in another post I put up here - how does intensity actually LOOK and FEEL?). They don't tell you that in books.

What I DO have is a gym with all the necessary basic equipment which I never have to wait to use, a burning burning desire to build my physique to be as big and cut as I can get, books, internet, discipline, and a JBBF judge at my fingertips (owner of my gym).

So, how does your trainer help you/how do you help your clients? It's not ONLY for programme and diet, right??

I worked with a trainer for a few months & the main thing he helped me with was to get me out of a RUT! I never had an experienced lifting partner (well, not on a regular basis) & I knew I needed some variety.

He taught me some new things on cable machine, helped spot me, pushed me through drop sets, etc. His nutrition knowledge wasn't too great though.

But I lucked out b/c he was my roomate & I paid him a small fee plus cooked for him & did the cleaning. Lucky me, I would have done the cleaning anyway (so I *know* it's clean!) and I prefer cooking for someone else & not just me!

Well:

A good trainer can save a novice months, or even years of spinning their wheels due to lack of knowledge. I know that I try to teach clients to think about diet, nutrition, etc. on their own. In a few months, the client is then ready to branch off and to be responsible for her/his own progress. A trainer gives the client a feeling of confidence and empowerment.

A good trainer keeps track of your workouts, watches your progress, looks for weak points in your routine, helps you troubleshoot problem areas, is SUPPOSED to be knowledgeable about proper nutrition and training (Though a lot truly aren't)....

When you're working out, think of it as simply having an expert workout partner who's there just to help YOU. When you're not actually working out, trainers should still be helping you reach your goals. A good one can be invaluable (hint hint), especially if you're fairly new to working out, or are stuck at a certain weight/strength level. A mediocre one is a waste of money.

SteelWeaver said:
What does your trainer do for you that you can't do for yourself?

On a simple level, my trainer spots me, watches my form, helps me with my diet, and monitors my progress as closely as I do. She sees things I don't see.

On a more complex level, she inspires and motivates me. I would never be as far along as I am if I didn't have spats there to help me out. Every time I look in the mirror, I'm reminded of how far I've come, and how much of a help she's been.

How does intensity look and feel? That's something I don't think you can describe to a trainee, it just has to be witnessed. Like I said in another post, I watched my trainer workout once, and saw the focus and dedication she had.

Here's what helps me focus: when I'm working out, I feed off of spat's focus on helping me. If she's standing there, no matter where she is, I can feel her watching me. If someone walks up to talk to her or me while I'm training, it disrupts things. She has the ability to look me in the eye or just say a few words, and I keep going.

Just .02 from a novice...

my trainer is a pro bb'er so he clearly knows how to get a bodybuilder''s physique-both from lifting and diet-also, when you make appointments to train it makes it easy to get motivated

Thanks everyone - these comments really help. They're just what I suspected - a good trainer provides not only the nuts and bolts of programmes and nutrition (the stuff that's such a pain to do yourself if you're still learning), but helps you with the will to push past barriers that you never imagined you could.

I've occasionally surprised myself, like how spatterson said, and had a similar experience to TheProject (lucky you, having your trainer!) the other night when this former world champion powerlifter friend of mine, who I thought lived too far away for my gym, suddenly decided to come and join there. She was watching me working on the leg press, and I was incredibly able to push about 20 kilos more than usual!!! What a thrill! She's a super intense person. I could feel her right there with me.

She is my special lucky bonus this week - I asked her before to train me, but she said no. :bawling: She's not that up on BB anyway, but she definitely knows how to get strong! I'll probably get to train with her once or twice a week. Whoo hoo!!!

Belial said:
A good one can be invaluable (hint hint), especially if you're fairly new to working out, or are stuck at a certain weight/strength level. A mediocre one is a waste of money.

I've had two mediocre trainers - both of whom I was working with through e-mail (bad option). Neither knew much about nutrition, and nothing about vegetarianism. Their programmes could have come from any textbook. I now have serious trust issues. :(

Uhmm, Belial - are you a trainer? Or am I catching the wrong end of your hint? (I've been known to be dense about veiled messages). :confused:

Next question: if one has HUGELY high motivation, never misses a workout or meal, wishes recovery days weren't necessary, and has reasonably good powers of imagination, would you expect that person to be able to regularly hit the same levels of intensity that you can with a trainer at your elbow?

SteelWeaver said:
lucky you, having your trainer!

Yes, I feel very lucky to have her as a friend and trainer. :)

Next question: if one has HUGELY high motivation, never misses a workout or meal, wishes recovery days weren't necessary, and has reasonably good powers of imagination, would you expect that person to be able to regularly hit the same levels of intensity that you can with a trainer at your elbow?

Well, here's the thing for me: the only reason I've missed a workout is because of being sick, I eat what I'm supposed to, and get antsy to get back to the gym.

But, having worked out by myself before when spats isn't available, I can tell you it just isn't the same. I have a much harder time getting to failure, largely because I don't have a spotter, and I don't think I move as much weight without her there.

Yeah, I could get someone to spot me, but it's just not the same. My personal motivation is good, but it's just that much better to have her there encouraging me.

spatterson said:

I have to force him not to come to the gym when he's sick. He's very dedicated. The body needs alot of energy to recover from a workout, and it's pretty taxing, so I don't like his immune system getting a double whammy...having to fight off illness and repair. Not to mention that no one else has the time to be sick with whatever he's passing around.

TheProject, my project, is a dream client. He decided to do this, and I told him what time to be at the gym, and what to eat and why. He literally went to the grocery store, restocked his kitchen, and has never been the same. His transformation has been impressive, both mentally and physically.

I'm very proud of him.

Aw, thanks! :D

You should've seen the things I threw away: a full package of Oreos, boxes of cereal, 3 bags of chips. I still have canned goods that I will never eat either because they have too much fat or too much sodium. I'm waiting for the next food drive to donate them. :)

It took me a LONG time to decide to do this. When I finally decided I was ready, I needed spats there to back me up. I wouldn't have made it this far without her.

She's really been invaluable to me throughout this. I hadn't thought about the first month or so until just now, and looking back on it, the first few weeks were really miserable. I was working out at home, by myself, my form was wrong, and I wasn't enjoying it. I don't even count the first 2 weeks of training I did at home anymore; as far as I'm concerned, my training began with her at the beginning of July.

She convinced me to join the gym, agreed to train me, helps me with my diet every step of the way, and is always encouraging. I didn't think twice about walking into the free weight room and benching the bar because I had her support. I would've been way too self-conscious to do that alone.

I could keep going and going about how positive the whole experience has been, but I think I've been long-winded enough here. As a complete novice, having her help and support enabled me to stay committed to this.

Top Bottom