Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

birth control pills

gingersnap

Does anyone klnow what affect the pill would have on my ability to build buscle and/or my bodyfat%? I am interested in going on the pill due to heavy periods, PMS, and acne.

There have been several threads in the past talking about OCs and their impact on women's hormones, which you might want to search out for more detail.

Basically, a lot of the lower dosage pills like Alesse will lower your free testosterone levels - not significantly, like 10 or 15% - but enough if you're a natty, you might want to rethink. It really depends on your goals though; if you're not competing, does that minor reduction in free testosterone outweight the benefits of alleviating your menstrual symptoms?

All OCs will also elevate your estrogen levels to some degree - again, with the lower dosage pills it's a minor elevation, but an elevation nonetheless. This may make it more difficult to reach very low bodyfat levels (under 10%). However, if you're not competing, you shouldn't be dropping your bodyfat levels that low anyway.

In other words, if you're not competing, I'd advise you to go ahead and start using OC if it's going to help make those two weeks every month a little easier. :)

Everyone can react differently to BC pills, plus there are so many types of BC pills that vary by estrogen content, etc.

My experience with BC pills was not good. Gave me worse PMS, terrible mood swings and significant fat gain in just 18 months.

Before taking anything, I would highly recommend the book Natural Hormone Balance for Women by Uzzi Reiss. It has sections for all age groups, symptoms, and how to treat. Synthetic hormones such as those found in oral contraceptives can cause all sorts of negative side effects. Another good author on the subject of natural hormones is John R. Lee: http://www.johnleemd.com/

JJFigure said:
In other words, if you're not competing, I'd advise you to go ahead and start using OC if it's going to help make those two weeks every month a little easier. :)

So if you are plaining on competing should you go off the pill? I am considering competing how ever the compatition is not tell next May. I am currently on Ortho Trycylen. Would it be effective enought just to go off it say the month of the comptiotn or do you need to be off it longer?
:confused:

For comp, I would give yourself something like 3 months prior to go off. It takes your body at least a month to readjust itself to natural hormone levels again. The last thing you want just before a comp is yet another variable that you can't predict. Probably the biggest issue with short-term effect of B/C is water retention. Long-term, it will probably play some small factor in your ability to lean out. Some people it affects, some it doesn't.

Do you notice any significant issues with reducing bodyfat now? I went on b/c about 15 yrs ago and stayed on until 4 months before my first natural comp. I never really noticed huge fat retention problems before but I also had never dieted down that far either. But if your goal is to lean out as far as possible, I would definitely lose the b/c once you go into your pre-contest training.

I would also note that in researching this question on other boards, I've seen girls claim to compete while on b/c with no problem. As with all hormone-related issues, its a very individual thing. You might consider going off for 2-3 months now to see what happens (while holding your diet constant enough to at least see if the hormone variable is a significant contributor to your body's estrogen response).

Thanks! I am not competing so hopefully it would not be significant for me. I seem to gain 10 pounds on the pill as I recall but it's been a long time and I was not lifting back then. FitFossil, thanks for the link....I have tried the progesterone but it made my periods even heavier. Dayna, I know orthotricyclen is one of the pills that reduces serum testosterone levels, that is how it helps with acne. You can read it yourself on their site www.orthotri-cyclen.com

gingersnap said:
FitFossil, thanks for the link....I have tried the progesterone but it made my periods even heavier.

Was it natural progesterone, or was it synthetic, as in some type of progestin? Many use the names interchangeably, including doctors, but to your body, they are very different.

It was natural progesterone cream. I tried 2 kinds. One was prescribed by an alternative MD and made to order at a compounding pharmacy, the other was OTC at a health food store. I know I have almost zero progesterone, I had my levels done twice. I am in perimenopause, I am 41.....with acne right now like a teenager.....it is driving me crazy. Thanks for your interest.

Top Bottom