Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Best before....

superqt4u2nv

Elite
Elite Moderator
So I have some ground turkey that is listed best before March 11. I didn't realize the date on it when I boght it. What is the worst that could happen if I cook it up and eat it?

Reactions: jh1
YOu grow green hair out of your ears..

I dunno - I mean - if it doesn't smell weird or have a weird texture -- has it been frozen the whole time? Make sure if you do cook it, to cook it completely & thoroughly....

Did you smell it?

ACK, who am I kidding. I'm no neurotic about those damn dates.
Does it smell funny?
Look funny?

How do you feel about puking for two days with your butt glued to the wc?

velvett said:
Did you smell it?

ACK, who am I kidding. I'm no neurotic about those damn dates.
Does it smell funny?
Look funny?

How do you feel about puking for two days with your butt glued to the wc?
LOL I am so cheap that is $7 of turkey tossed out it smelled funny.

superqt4u2nv said:
LOL I am so cheap that is $7 of turkey tossed out it smelled funny.

I feel you on that one.

Hemana expiry dates are more about limiting legal liability than really telling the consumer when the product is too old to eat. Assuming that the turkey isnt obviously rancid, as evidenced by a decidedly greasy texture and awful odor, the worst that will happen is that it wont taste as flavorful as it should when you eat it.

RottenWillow said:
I feel you on that one.

Hemana expiry dates are more about limiting legal liability than really telling the consumer when the product is too old to eat. Assuming that the turkey isnt obviously rancid, as evidenced by a decidedly greasy texture and awful odor, the worst that will happen is that it wont taste as flavorful as it should when you eat it.

Exactly!!! The date is the "sell by" date not the magical date the food goes magically bad.........if it has an "off" smell or color (not just brown/grey or pink/red) then DON'T eat it.....if it smells ok & is a natural color, be sure to cook it thoroughly & then store/reheat properly.....

According to the Morbidity & Mortality report, most people get ill from improper storage/reheat than eating past the arbitrary sell by date.....

superqt4u2nv said:
So I have some ground turkey that is listed best before March 11. I didn't realize the date on it when I boght it. What is the worst that could happen if I cook it up and eat it?
chicken and turkey is bad when is is any more then 5 days past the sell by date unless it has bin frozen.I know all the lengths for allmost all foods past there sell by date..lol why they teach us this in the army I dont know but its useful at times. :)

I would not mess with poultry.
When it doubt, throw it out. 7$ ain't worth 12 hrs of vomiting and the schlitzes.
By the way, I got salmanella (sp?) 3 times from bad poultry and was hospitalize the last time.....hence my answer

Top Bottom