Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Advice With an Older Client

acer290

Hi. I need some advice with someone who came to me for help with training, diet, etc.

Normally I would know how to approach the situation, but I just wanted some advice before I advise her on what to do.

I'm not sure how old she is, but I think she is probably 50 years old. What kind of adjustments should I make to a normal routine considering her age. OR should I not make any?

I would put her on a 4 day split.
Monday-Chest and Tri's
Tuesday-Back and Bi's
Thurs. - Quads and Hamstrings with the use of squats
Fri. - Shoulders, calves, and Abs

1 min. between sets. 3 exercises for 12-15 reps, then after three weeks bring down to 10-12 reps, then after 3 weeks bring down to 8-10 reps. then start over. Increase intensity over three week period until failure on third week.

Oh, and she tore her rotator cuff a year and a half ago, but recieved therapy for it.

Only cardio would be warm up and cool down.

Thoughts?

Agree with SPAT. Need a good med history and physicians OK, esp cardiovascular condition.

Otherwise, have her do what she can do, avoid exercise that she has trouble or pain with. Push her within reason.

I have a 56 yr old female client that leg presses 450 for 50 reps and walks away from it better than most clients half her age. When she started with me a couple of years ago, she had never touched weights before. Her only activity is tennis.

W6

She is relatviely fit. she has been seeing a personal trainer type person at her gym for a couple of weeks. The personal trainer had her doing 15-20 min. on the life cycle machine and then do a circuit type training routine on the weight machine.

The problem I felt was that the trainer had her doing every bodypart everyday, light light weight, high reps, and no real order to anything. Basically just hop around the gym pretending to workout.

So I was going to put here on a mostly free weight routine. Keep it lower intensity at first and then eventually bump it up. So in the end she would be doing three wekk intensity cycles- peaking to almost failure on the third week.

Thanks for the advice. Are there any movements in particular I should not have her do considering her age. I don't think there are, but I figured I wouldn't have her do deadlifts. And I will find out some answers to your questions.

Just from what you said bro I can tell you aren't qualified to train this woman. You didnt ask major questions that should be asked before you train anyone yet alone a person in their 50s. Plus what you have planned for a train for this lady is rediculous to even be thinking of before you know the answers to said questions. It is guys like you that make it harder for guys like me to raise my rates! You should increase your knowledge pool before you train someone and get them hurt.

I'd also have to agree with the those who say you need to consider more info before training a beginner, especially an older beginner. Those who are younger can get by with bad training advice without apparent injury for a longer period of time than those who may be older with longstanding imbalances from bad posture, stiff joints, inflexibility, and previous injuries.
What does relatively fit mean? Has she lifted weights before a few weeks ago? Is she overweight? You say she had a previous rotator cuff injury. I would be very careful with this. What is her current cardio status. An MD's release would be the most safe, but at least a b/p and pulse resting and with exercise.
I have more to add, but must leave now to an xmas party.

Jeez, I can't take it sometimes...

Personal training is part knowledge and part instinct. Your planned workout sounds totally generic and not appropriate for everyone. Getting to know a new client is a learning process- I start with basic exercises and emphasize form for as long as it takes with that particular person, and only when I feel they have a basic understanding do I progress with more weights, more intensity. People aren't machines, you can't just decide in advance how you intend a person to advance, you take it step by step. As far as the rotator cuff goes, do NOT do behind the neck pulldowns, upright rows, or any exercise that causes impingement. Sorry to say, you sound very unprepared to train an average human being- you lack instinct and sensitivity. My oldest client is 72 and although he is very gung-ho, I have to restrain HIM from trying to lift too heavy because he WOULD hurt himself. Everyone is different. You sound young......

Thanks for the replies. Most of what you say is correct. I've decided to go ahead and recommend her tojust keep seeing the personal trainer that she was going to before. I am just a friend of hers who she came to for help.

I now realize that although I know how to train myself and ge the maximum results out of my body, I am way out of my element in this istuation considering she is older, I wouldn't be working with her in the gym, and she has this rotator cuff previous injury.

Top Bottom